Model Cars Magazine Forum

alternative chassis for the AMT/MPC 71/72 Chevy long bed

Either Chris' or Roger's suggestions will get you there, eventually. 

I'd go with the MPC '82 for a 4X4 or the Revell '66 for a 2 wheel drive. 

Both would need to be lengthened. And as Chris says, the '82 has more correct inner fenders. 

I've been working on mine for almost a year now. I used the Revell '66 as it's what I had as a free donor. Made a set of inner fenders from an old MPC '78 Trans Am.

IMG 2660

Found a Monogram 4x4 chassis in stock but the frame has a dip in the middle and can be see sticking lower then the body and I do not like that but if I can find a 2wd front suspension I could take the rear suspension from the Monogram frame and make a frame,there is a guy locally who has parts and will see what he has next Saturday and go from there.

1 hour ago, junkyardjeff said:

Found a Monogram 4x4 chassis in stock but the frame has a dip in the middle and can be see sticking lower then the body and I do not like that but if I can find a 2wd front suspension I could take the rear suspension from the Monogram frame and make a frame,there is a guy locally who has parts and will see what he has next Saturday and go from there.

If you can find a Monogram Chevy van you could adapt the front suspension from that. It's really close to the pickup suspension.

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

If you can find a Monogram Chevy van you could adapt the front suspension from that. It's really close to the pickup suspension.

No, it isn't. The left side suspension components are longer than the right side due to the offset engine.

2 hours ago, Plowboy said:

No, it isn't. The left side suspension components are longer than the right side due to the offset engine.

I'll take your word for it Roger as I don't have a Monogram kit to check.

I thought the offset was done with the motor mounts or crossmember. I would have thought different lengths A-arms on both sides would really screw up the suspension geometry.

I do know the AMT Chevy van suspension works though because I've done it.

151 5117

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

I'll take your word for it Roger as I don't have a Monogram kit to check.

I just looked at mine and actually it's just the upper A arms that are a different length. The lowers appear to be the same length. So, one could use the van's lower suspension piece. Just have to source a set of equal length upper A arms.