Model Cars Magazine Forum

"First Run" 32 roadster

Mr. Metallic

Haven't been on this board in a long time so I thought I'd stop by and share what I've been up to

After building my first salt flats car a couple years ago for Randfink I knew I had to build one for myself. I did some research, trying to keep the details as era specific as possible. I'd tried to do it before, but always ended up adding or changing something to take it out of that early era I was aiming for. The early days of hot rodding. The golden age of speed for the everyman. Anybody could get into a rod for a few bucks and just go fast...

This is Revells '32 Ford roadster. I started it last winter, but have only really been working on it in earnest for the last 4 months or so. It's been a lot of fun. I'll let the pictures do the talking and then list the notable parts below.

firstrun-vi.jpg

100_1785-vi.jpg

100_1775-vi.jpg

100_1787-vi.jpg

100_1783-vi.jpg

100_1798-vi.jpg

100_1799-vi.jpg

100_1800-vi.jpg

Revell body channeled over frame and modified cowl for AMT Phantom Vickie windsheild. 50 Pontiac taillights from Phantom Vickie. Headlights from AMT 34 Ford. Rep+Min 37 Ford truck grille. Monogram 32 Ford firewall. Tamiya Dark Blue over black primer.

Frame modified for flathead engine, and monogram 32 Ford suspensions. Revell 40 Ford friction shocks and AMT 41 Ford hairpins. Revell 37 Ford pickup wheels and tires.

Revell retooled 50 Ford pickup ARDUN powered flathead. Rep+Min carb stacks,generator and pulleys. Phantom Vickie headers. AMT 53 Ford injection setup. Scratchbuilt valley cover and exhaust tips.

Kit interior with parts box gas tank, fuel pump and battery. Rep+Min "rat rod" seat and Auburn dash. Revell 40 Ford steering wheel. Scratchbuilt seatbelt and hardware.

OH !! :lol: THIS IS VERY NICE !!!

Love to see more pics of the incredibly detailed interior.

My favotite pics are the first two with the 'vert top up. Such a "COOL" retro look.

Love the whole build. Well worth all the time you put into this "JEWEL" :(

By the way, your pics are especially cool. The sorta black and whites are very retro. Like to see more like that.

Are you into photography??

Thanks for sharing - Dave

Edited by Treehugger Dave

Awesome :blink: . That is a good paintjob i like it. How did you get the dirt on the tire?

Thank you. The paint is tamiya dark blue over black, no clear.

The salt on the wheels is baking powder. I coated the tire with a thin coat of rubber cement. Then I rolled the tire thru some baking powder spread out on an index card. Let it dry, and then mounted it to the model.

Car looks great. Maybe add a little "salt" on the frame and rear body where it would have sprayed up from the tires?

Also, just curious about that radiator grill shell...from your photos, especially the last 2, it appears that it is actually touching the ground. Is it? Looks like ya might need a bit of ground clearance there...??

Otherwise...nicely done!

Terry

Car looks great. Maybe add a little "salt" on the frame and rear body where it would have sprayed up from the tires?

Also, just curious about that radiator grill shell...from your photos, especially the last 2, it appears that it is actually touching the ground. Is it? Looks like ya might need a bit of ground clearance there...??

Otherwise...nicely done!

Terry

Well, it is touching in a couple of those pics, but I have adjusted the suspension and grille and it no longer drags

Also, it's called the "First Run" for a reason. This is the cars first time at the line at B'ville, thats why there is salt on the tires only. Thanks for the suggestion tho

Hello there friend! This is the coolest pic I have seen to date. Since I joined I made a folder with all the projects that just awed me and this is now offically the #1 spot in the album. Please no-one take offense .Its just an awesome pic. With that being said. Keep on wit the keepin on!!

firstrun-vi.jpg

Hello there friend! This is the coolest pic I have seen to date. Since I joined I made a folder with all the projects that just awed me and this is now offically the #1 spot in the album. Please no-one take offense .Its just an awesome pic. With that being said. Keep on wit the keepin on!!

firstrun-vi.jpg

I agree with the setting and the old brownished picture effect realy make the build stand out to reality

Great build and great pic effect.

Bear

firstrun-vi.jpg

Thanks guys. It's just a setting on my camera. I was going for that old-timey feel. I think it worked.