Model Cars Magazine Forum

Masters ready to ship

9 hours ago, Repstock said:

I can see the end of the road for us file and sandpaper guys. 3D printing is getting better all the time, and I need to learn to draw in 3D or get left behind.

Yes, CAD and 3D printers are the way of the future, it is not an easy task. Plus (at least with the current technology), to get the surface finish that you guys achieve, the sandpaper and primer/filler are still needed, even on 3D printed items.

14 hours ago, Greg Wann said:

Yes, Tom it is.  I have helped people monetarily and other means only to get used and actually feel like I have become a slave to them.

I guess it's the people who treat you well you have to focus on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I really like that Cougar, and it looks really well done, but the roof,opera and quarter glass is not correct. It needs a bit more of an angle to it and the top of the rear quarter glass is a little bit narrower.

Just an FYI, not nit picking. I still like it

795226127_bbbbb(2).JPG.410a458f14cdc521c27ed4fbf5ea78be.jpg

download.jpg

3 hours ago, Bob Ellis said:

How do you buy the 1977 Cougar and 1971 Olds 98?

I'm still raising funds to have the 98 cast, and the Cougar is in the hands of the person who's going to have it cast, neither is available yet.

Mr. Ellifritt, 

I was curious how you made the silverado side trim on your model? My brother has a 1977 GMC Sierra Classic which has the same trim, and I was hoping to replicate his truck. Did you lengthen a short bed as well?

Thanks,

TR

15 hours ago, 1964 Impala said:

Mr. Ellifritt, 

I was curious how you made the silverado side trim on your model? My brother has a 1977 GMC Sierra Classic which has the same trim, and I was hoping to replicate his truck. Did you lengthen a short bed as well?

Thanks,

TR

The bed is a resin unit from M.A.D., and the trim is just two pieces of strip styrene laid side-by-side. I use circular rods because they take a radius better. When I'm done applying them, I'll run a sanding stick over them to flatten the tube a bit. I'm told the slight undercut helps when foiling.

3 hours ago, Repstock said:

The bed is a resin unit from M.A.D., and the trim is just two pieces of strip styrene laid side-by-side. I use circular rods because they take a radius better. When I'm done applying them, I'll run a sanding stick over them to flatten the tube a bit. I'm told the slight undercut helps when foiling.

I agree Tom

13 hours ago, 1964 Impala said:

Thanks for responding, which size of styrene do you recommend? Did you also scratch build the gas cap as well? Thanks for the help.

TR

On the real truck one side of the trim is wider than the other. I don't remember if the inner or outer run is wider. I used differently sized rod, but the effect didn't really show up in the finished product. Anyway, I think I used .020 and .015 rod. It may have been .015 and .010, but I don't think so. The caps are round stock inserted into a drilled out hole with a little scrap of plastic for the grip.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
15 minutes ago, TooOld said:

I just saw Paul Hettick's build of the '77 Cougar and it's gorgeous !  Is your Cougar now available to purchase ? 

I got paid 3 Cougars for my work. The rest belong to Paul.

3 hours ago, Repstock said:

I got paid 3 Cougars for my work. The rest belong to Paul.

How can I contact him ?

Never mind , I got in contact with him . . . Thanks .

Edited by TooOld