Model Cars Magazine Forum

"37 Chevy Cabrio

Jantrix

One advantage to unemployment, time to finish up a few things. This poor '37 has been languishing for near four years now. It waiting for me to more stuff to it that I'd planned, but at some point you have to choose between on the shelf or still in the box. And now's the time to do so.

The engine is from the Beretta pro-street, the seats are '67 Charger rear buckets, the chassis has been lengthened and suspension dropped. Paint is Testors lacquer Mystic Emerald. I was a fun build but I'm real glad to get it done.

One issue I noted right at finally assembly was the passenger side valve cover is on upside down. If it wasn't for the Chevrolet engraving, you wouldn't even notice on a small block Chevy. I did add the door handles. 😃

I may try carving up the clear hood to fit this one. As always, comments, criticisms, and insane ideas are cordially welcome.

cab1.jpg

cab2.jpg

cab3.jpg

cab4.jpg

cab5.jpg

cab6.jpg

cab7.jpg

cab8.jpg

So many different features. Twin Super Chargers with side draft Carbs. Extended frame and the front suspension. The interior looks very comfortable. I like how the flame decals accent the look of the build without overpowering it. Very nice paint finish. 

Everything cool about a hot rod; it's hard to pick a favorite feature. A good example of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts. Did you do the interior parts (aside from the seats) with half-round strips? This model is just fun to look at and explore!

Hi Rob,

That's not what I expected when I saw the title of the thread!  Pretty cool design and I'm glad you didn't rust it out.  

Just one word of warning, not to put you off tackling the job, but it looks like you need to extend the clear plastic hood.  I modified one of those hoods years ago to fit a dirt modified race car and discovered that the two sides are distinctively different - looking from the top one side bows out a lot more than the other. It may be easier to cut and shut the styrene stock hood rather than the custom clear one.

Cheers

Alan

16 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Rob!

Wow, that is a great design, bravo! 

I'm curious: are your flame decals those that were in a mid-60's ElCamino? They look the part...

CT

Yes Claude, those  decals are from the Revell '66 El Camino, though they were the only part of that I kit I own. I'm glad you like the design but I can't take credit. Years ago, I spotted a photo online of a late 30's fenderless rod that was built this way, and days later, the image was still rolling around in my brain. I've tried to find the photo, but no matter the keywords I've tried, Google can't find it. Like this one, it had all the rat rod audacity, but was a finished gleaming hot rod. 

1 hour ago, Jantrix said:

Yes Claude, those  decals are from the Revell '66 El Camino, though they were the only part of that I kit I own. I'm glad you like the design but I can't take credit. Years ago, I spotted a photo online of a late 30's fenderless rod that was built this way, and days later, the image was still rolling around in my brain. I've tried to find the photo, but no matter the keywords I've tried, Google can't find it. Like this one, it had all the rat rod audacity, but was a finished gleaming hot rod. 

Hi Rob! 

Great story. Now for the good news: If Google can't find the car that inspired you, let's assume it will, from now on, find YOURS  (!) should anyone type in a corresponding search... You wil go from "inspired" to "inspiring" ... Great outcome!

As to the flame decals: I've often tought of buying this kit FOR the decals. Are they a pain to apply, or were you pleased? They do look great!

CT 

1 hour ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Rob! 

Great story. Now for the good news: If Google can't find the car that inspired you, let's assume it will, from now on, find YOURS  (!) should anyone type in a corresponding search... You wil go from "inspired" to "inspiring" ... Great outcome!

As to the flame decals: I've often tought of buying this kit FOR the decals. Are they a pain to apply, or were you pleased? They do look great!

CT 

Inspiring. 😄 I like that.

The decals were very good. The pieces on the sides needed some trimming to fit the '37, and setting solution is always the thing to do, but they really weren't any trouble. 

24 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

Inspiring. 😄 I like that.

The decals were very good. The pieces on the sides needed some trimming to fit the '37, and setting solution is always the thing to do, but they really weren't any trouble. 

Thank you then!

I know that I will pick-up this OOP kit the next time I see it. Besides, one always has use for a mid-size Camino rear box in a spontaneous mash-up! 

Regards, 

CT