Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Falcon sedan

Sam I Am

I have been plugging away at this little Falcon for awhile  now. JC said it was time for a wip, so if it stalls out, blame it on him. 😄

I picked this up about nine years ago and brought it out after completing the Ranchero and Sedan delivery.  It was painted brown with the rear wheel openings cut out. I dumped it in the purple pond and found black under the brown. I also found that the ob used 220 grit to prep before painting it black. It has been a struggle to say the least. I knew I wanted to put the stock rear wheel openings back in and Tom Geiger sent me a donor body. I hated to cut it up, but...

Did I also mention that the window frames were missing ?  

So I cut out the rear quarters and window frames from the Ranchero and grafted them to the Falcon,  then had to make rear window frames out of styrene. After that I threw a coat of primer on it to see where I was at and applied the first layer of filler.

So here it is...

20210223_115128.jpg

20210225_090758.jpg

20210226_105006.jpg

20210314_152820.jpg

20210314_153836.jpg

20210314_164448.jpg

20210314_174238.jpg

20210315_171026.jpg

20210316_174124.jpg

20210316_181841.jpg

20210323_214755.jpg

Edited by Sam I Am

Great body work Sam! Quite a job to restore it having to reproduce the window framing and rear quarters, especially on a kit that one has already completed. Your rebuild will be a much better looking representation of the vintage Falcon. Your discovery of the black plastic underneath reminded me of having the original kit way back as a kid, shortly after the dinosaurs disappeared.
Be following your work, cheers Misha

9 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Man! That was a rough one Sam! Looks like you have it going your way now.

Thanks Roger. It won't be as clean as yours, that's why I am painting it white. White hides a multitude of sins.

2 hours ago, slusher said:

Thank goodness of friends.. looking better Sam.

You ain't just whistling,  that's why we pay it forward. 

2 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Good start on this one Sam, looking forward to updates. I actually think the ob used a wire brush rather than 220, the 220 would have been smoother. 🙄

You know Ricky,  you just might be right.

2 hours ago, Misha said:

Great body work Sam! Quite a job to restore it having to reproduce the window framing and rear quarters, especially on a kit that one has already completed. Your rebuild will be a much better looking representation of the vintage Falcon. Your discovery of the black plastic underneath reminded me of having the original kit way back as a kid, shortly after the dinosaurs disappeared.
Be following your work, cheers Misha

You're not a lot older than me Misha and I still remember seeing the Mastadons coming out of the Ark.  😅 Cheers! 

1 hour ago, afx said:

If you get bored with it Sam I promise to take it off your hands.:D

I knew you had an ulterior motive.

Thanks everyone! 

6 hours ago, Bullybeef said:

Looks good so far Sam, hopefully I can find a decent rebuilder 64 at some point 

Thanks !

4 hours ago, espo said:

Looks like an interesting project. Going to take a couple of steps of sanding but it should be nice. 

I think I am looking at three or four.

18 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

Nice save! Truly a labor of love in progress. I'll be watching this one develop. Thanks for sharing your WIP process with us.

I really hope it was worth tuning in for. 

This little car was really abused. I have the first round of filler on the rear quarters and new I would need more, but this coat of primer really highlighted a number of gouges.

The hood and trunk script were already sanded off as well as half the door handles and the chrome trim around the horizontal recessed area. So since it was already nosed and decked, I finished the job by shaving what was left. Even though the upper areas of the front and rear window trim were sanded pretty thin there should be enough definition left to mask off and chrome.

20210324_184101.jpg

20210324_184042.jpg

20210324_184028.jpg

20210324_184021.jpg

20210324_183945.jpg

Sam, a bit of encouragement...

761C5037-47C6-4DBA-BC7F-E41576CCE714.jpeg.1943b96eb08e8405c480a25e193b01b5.jpeg132F755E-EFE9-4A19-BC1E-C9232EEB8B81.jpeg.7cc82e21e7dbe779f98fe1555a0f7ec2.jpeg

This Ranchero was downright awful. It had two paint jobs, most trim sanded off. Drip rails broken off, I learned how to replace them on this body. There was a chunk missing from quarter panel right near tail light.  All four bumper ends were broken off and body had scratches and dents all over from play wear.  The bed had all kinds of glue burns so I added the bed cover which is glued in place. Interior was too bad to use.  I redid this one way back before the kit was reissued, before digital cameras so there is no photo set.

On a body like this, I’ll work on the damage as a side project. Fix what I can, prime.. repeat as necessary. Take breaks to avoid frustration.

Edited by Tom Geiger

I really appreciate all the support and encouragement from everyone.  

So I have turned my attention to the chassis plate while I let this coat of primer cure out for a few days.

Everything that was black spent days in the purple pond with scrubbing every day and after going over it with a pick, this is as good as it gets.  I know it will never be seen but still want to put some detail on it.

20210325_222027.jpg

20210325_220415.jpg

On 3/26/2021 at 1:38 PM, dublin boy said:

Looking good Sam!

How's tricks? long time no talk.

Is that you Shay ? 

How's tricks you say? Come on over, I'll have a few Guinness with you, and tell you all about it. 😄

How is AL doing?

The chassis plate isn't anything to write home about,  but since you will never see it,  it's good enough for who it's for. 

I also like the wheels and stance.

20210328_191234.jpg

20210328_192251.jpg

Edited by Sam I Am