Model Cars Magazine Forum

Triumph TR8

Safire6

8 hours ago, Pete75 said:

Awesome build. The TR7 was one of the first cars to catch my eye when I was small. Didn't know the TR8 existed until just now. I see it was a North American thing - more cylinders is better!😄

According to Richard Newton’s “Illustrated Triumph Buyer’s Guide”, less than 3000 TR8s were produced and less than 20 of them were available in the home market. It’s no wonder you never knew it existed!

2 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Nice job on that Steve. I always tought that car has an odd shape to it.

Thank you. Advertised as “the shape of things to come” back in the day. I personally like the coupe much better than the convertible. Compared to the earlier TR3, 4, 5 and 6; the TR7 and 8 were radically different designs which turned off a lot of potential buyers.

11 hours ago, TonyK said:

Nice paint and a very sharp looking model. Always liked these cars especially the TR7.

1 hour ago, slusher said:

Beautiful Triumph!

8 hours ago, Hard_2_Handle_454 said:

Never seen the kit.  Looks cool

3 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

8 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Very clean build of a kit you don't see too often. Well done and model on! B)

10 hours ago, Bainford said:

Nice Triumph. Good, clean work, there. I never knew this kit existed. 

10 hours ago, shoopdog said:

Sharp looking TR8!

10 hours ago, afx said:

Very nice.

Thanks everyone, appreciate the kind words!

Thanks Plowboy! This one was molded in silver and had a vinyl top. I sanded off the “vinyl” texture to make it into a “steel” hardtop. This TR8 kit is really a TR7 because it has a single exhaust (like a 1:1 TR7). Also there is “TR7” molded into the glove box door but you would never know it without a strong magnifier. The decals are about the only thing that identify it as a TR 8 and not a 7. 

Lovely job on the TR8. I think it looks super sharp in white.
I bought one of these kits for £0.99 from a discount store when I was a kid. It was molded in yellow. I tried to find another on eBay in recent years, but this kit now fetches a small fortune. 

That's great to, you've done a really nice job on it. This basic range of Monogram kits build up surprisingly well.

Like Sonny I'm another one who did the yellow TR7 a long time ago, and would also like to be able to build one again someday but current prices prevent that......

When I saw the subject line of this thread, I had to peek in. Nicely built model!

I have one of those kits (still sealed). I found it at a flea market back in 2009 and paid $7 for it.  Before that time I didn't even know this kit existed, but I like oddball kits, and this one sure qualified!  The copyright on the box shows 1980, so it is now  41 years old!  Imagine that.  I have so many projects I'm working on that I probably wont build this one for quite some time.  Good to know that it builds up nicely.