Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bare Metal Foil

On 3/25/2021 at 5:27 PM, crazyjim said:

FedEx delived my package of BMF from Hobbylinc today.  I ordered "new improved chrome" and package I have says "chrome".  I opened and tried it and it's NOT the new improved stuff.  I called BMF and the guy said he's finally out of "new improved chrome" stickers but it's the same foil.  I don't think so!  It's more like the ultra chrome garbage in that it doesn't adhere well and doesn't like tight spaces.

I emailed a question to Hobbylinc but probably won't hear back from them for a cuple of days.

I bought two sheets a month or two ago, and in simple terms, they suck. It seems like the foil is a bit thicker, and when you peel it off the backing, it gets a wrinkled texture, that doesn’t smooth out after applied. Leaves the model looking like the trim was severely scratched up around the windows. If I can’t get the “improved chrome” anymore, I’ll just hang it up until it’s available again. This Impala has the foil mentioned. If you zoom in, you can see the texture on the trim above the front driver side wheel well. It looks terrible. I don’t like it at all. 

BF427D6E-954C-4418-AF88-FD1F636D9719.jpeg

0078E105-0766-44DD-A1F1-AC8A69EAAFA4.jpeg

Edited by Brutalform

21 hours ago, crazyjim said:

You got it Robert.  I bought 10 packages of BMF from Hobbylinc because the picture clearly showed NEW IMPROVED CHROME and what was delivered was CHROME.  The CHROME is garbage so I sent it back for a full refund.  The same thing happened with a coupld of ebay sellers.. Back they went too.

I had a post somewhere on here a while back, where I bought two sheets of the New Improved Chrome, and when it arrived, it was so wrinkled I couldn’t use it. I returned it for a full refund. Someone suggested I buy from BMF directly, and I got regular chrome instead. I’m thinking I should have just kept the wrinkled sheets already. 

Funny how this thread popped up just as I've been having a terrible time foiling a 61 Invicta HT.  I bought two packages directly from BMF earlier this year and just now opened the first one.  It's marked New and Improved and it peels off the backing fine without curling but it just doesn't want to stick very good.  Almost not at all.  And it's not just the edges of the sheet but the center as well.  Makes an already frustrating job a job you dread doing.  Never really enjoyed it before, but I've done enough to know something is wrong with this stuff.  And my build room is 12% humidity. 

Options are to mask off all the trim and spray either Spaz Stix or Molotow.  What a pain.  I've never had much luck with pens.  Brushes with Molotow work better if you go slow and heavy, but you need to be really careful. 

Unfortunate way to end a build 😡

I was working with BMF today.

I have a couple of sheets that have been previously used. I don’t know exactly how old they are.

The adhesive was tough on the first sheet.  It left a heavy glue mess behind where I removed excess. I removed it with 80% alcohol and then BMF Polish.  It was tough to get off the backing, would break up easily.

The second sheet worked better. It had big wrinkles in the middle, but as I worked around that mess, it came off the backing easily and applied well.

Ive never has a sheet that would’ve stick.

5 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I was working with BMF today.

I have a couple of sheets that have been previously used. I don’t know exactly how old they are.

The adhesive was tough on the first sheet.  It left a heavy glue mess behind where I removed excess. I removed it with 80% alcohol and then BMF Polish.  It was tough to get off the backing, would break up easily.

The second sheet worked better. It had big wrinkles in the middle, but as I worked around that mess, it came off the backing easily and applied well.

Ive never has a sheet that would’ve stick.

when i was doing my bronco kit, my old BMF that i had recently found was the new improved chrome, but had the same issue of leaving a heavy glue mess. i ultimately decided to just use a chrome paint marker

Ok, I'm really confused.  I have not  bought any BMF for probably 10-15 years.  Last time I made purchase there were only 2 types of chrome foil:  Just "chrome" and "ultra bright  chrome".  "Chrome" was the original BMF product made since their inception.  The metal has a slightly "warm" tone, it is very thin and stretchy. It is not made from aluminum. The "ultra bright chrome" was at that time a new product from BMF.  It was much shinier, whitish-silver in color, and rather stiff.  Would not easily conform to compound curves.  It felt like thin aluminum foil.  I believe BMF introduced it because Detail Master started producing their own version of foil, and they called out BMF, stating that the Detail Master foil was much shinier.  Detail Master version was just like the BMF "ultra brigth chrome": Thicker and very stiff.   I didn't like either version.

Going back to BMF, they had only "chrome" (good stuff), and "ultra bright chrome" (crappy stuff).   What I'm confused about is that there  seems to be a third version of BMF chrome. Correct?  What was the "new improved chrome"? Was it stretchy with a warm tone to it like original "chrome", or was it more like the very shiny but crappy "ultra bright chrome"?

And now people like crazyjim are saying that they liked "new improved chrome" and that the "chrome" they received instead is crappy?  For me the original, just "chrome" was the best foil.

Hi, Peter.  The BMF seems to have varied a lot.  The first foil was indeed the best for stretch characteristics.  The foil now does seem much brighter than the old stuff.  The Ultra Brite was a lot like the "black chrome" they put out.  It was like tin foil, it curled up and never did adhere well.  I still use the BMF they put out now when I have to and it will stretch some.  Now and again there are some adhesive issues but it can be corrected with burnishing and a clean surface to apply it to.

12 hours ago, peteski said:

Ok, I'm really confused.  I have not  bought any BMF for probably 10-15 years.  Last time I made purchase there were only 2 types of chrome foil:  Just "chrome" and "ultra bright  chrome".  "Chrome" was the original BMF product made since their inception.  The metal has a slightly "warm" tone, it is very thin and stretchy. It is not made from aluminum. The "ultra bright chrome" was at that time a new product from BMF.  It was much shinier, whitish-silver in color, and rather stiff.  Would not easily conform to compound curves.  It felt like thin aluminum foil.  I believe BMF introduced it because Detail Master started producing their own version of foil, and they called out BMF, stating that the Detail Master foil was much shinier.  Detail Master version was just like the BMF "ultra brigth chrome": Thicker and very stiff.   I didn't like either version.

Going back to BMF, they had only "chrome" (good stuff), and "ultra bright chrome" (crappy stuff).   What I'm confused about is that there  seems to be a third version of BMF chrome. Correct?  What was the "new improved chrome"? Was it stretchy with a warm tone to it like original "chrome", or was it more like the very shiny but crappy "ultra bright chrome"?

And now people like crazyjim are saying that they liked "new improved chrome" and that the "chrome" they received instead is crappy?  For me the original, just "chrome" was the best foil.

The NEW IMPROVED CHROME was like the original CHROME.  I have no idea why BMF came out with ULTRA BRIGHT CHROME.  It was garbage.  The present CHROME is much like th ULTRA BRIGHT CHROME and came out due to a change in suppliers.  The new supplier is unable to make the sheets thing like NEW IMPROVED CHROME is BMF had to label it something else.

Thanks for the clarification. 

Makes me wonder which company produced that non-aluminum stretchy thin foil BMF resold.  What was/is its original application?  I thought all along that BMF developed the metal alloy formula, and was either manufacturing it themselves, or had someone do it for them.  But maybe all along it was a product intended for another use, repurposed (as it is often done) as a very successful hobby product

1 hour ago, peteski said:

Thanks for the clarification. 

Makes me wonder which company produced that non-aluminum stretchy thin foil BMF resold.  What was/is its original application?  I thought all along that BMF developed the metal alloy formula, and was either manufacturing it themselves, or had someone do it for them.  But maybe all along it was a product intended for another use, repurposed (as it is often done) as a very successful hobby product

That would sure be good to know Pete, maybe we could save some money huh.

I just tried the bmf on my 1960 Chevy pickup build this morning and it looked smooth before I peeled it off the sheet.  Once I peeled it off the sheet it looked wrinkled and did not go on and stick very well.  I bought this bmf about a month ago from my local hobby shop.

3 hours ago, Painted Black said:

Couldn't say for sure what the original use of BMF are, maybe something in the electronics field?  but this MIGHT be close? But quite expensive.

https://www.thomassci.com/Laboratory-Supplies/Sealing-Films/_/PlateSeal-QuickApply-Dispenser-with-Pre-Scored-Chemical-Resistant-Foil?q=Adhesive Foil

Nope.  It is "2.0mil aluminum", that instantly eliminates it.  And 2.0mil is much thicker than BMF stuff. That is about thickness of a sheet of paper. The original chrome BMF is some sort of soft metal with  fairly low melting point.  It is also quite dense (heavy).  If you make a ball of some discarded foil you can tell that it feels heavier than aluminum. It probably contains tin, or maybe even lead?  I know, there were no lead warning on the packaging, so that is probably not it.  But it could be tin or some other soft metal.

3 hours ago, Zippi said:

I sent an email to Bare Metal Foil (https://www.bare-metal.com/) and ask if they could clear this issue up to set the record straight and I have not heard back.  I guess we're on our own fellows. 

If you do hear from them I'm betting they tell you that the current "Chrome" they have on their site is the same as the "New Improved Chrome" , that they only ran out of stickers and had to use the Chrome stickers . That's what they were telling vendors but it's not true , the current "Chrome" is thicker than the "New Improved Chrome" they have sold the last few years .  If you have any left safe it for emblems and such , the new stuff won't work .

Edited by TooOld

that they only ran out of stickers and had to use the Chrome stickers 

Would have saved a lot of confusion if they had just used a marker to label it. But, and this is my 2 cents worth, I think they were trying to pull one over to get rid of the stuff!! Anyhow, I will not purchase any more till its been fixed, I'll  just continue to build stuff without chrome trim. Remember the 90's? Paint everything the same color!!:lol:

6 minutes ago, Painted Black said:

that they only ran out of stickers and had to use the Chrome stickers 

Hmmm.. I would’ve just made a batch of Dennison labels on my printer!

15 hours ago, Painted Black said:

Couldn't say for sure what the original use of BMF are, maybe something in the electronics field?  but this MIGHT be close? But quite expensive.

https://www.thomassci.com/Laboratory-Supplies/Sealing-Films/_/PlateSeal-QuickApply-Dispenser-with-Pre-Scored-Chemical-Resistant-Foil?q=Adhesive Foil

At $245 a roll, I don’t believe we will experiment. The cost here is that it’s certified for clean room use.

I hope that this new development does not mean the end for BMF company.  Not sure if they can survive just selling decals and decal paper. Either way, I hope they stay open because I really like their decal paper (and I have tried several brands) for my Alps printer. And of course the (original) chrome foil is indispensable in my automotive modeling (which I haven't done much lately).

17 minutes ago, Zippi said:

I know you have Mike.  Just thought we could hit them from all sides so to speak.

I really do hope they do give us some kind of answer and solution, but not holding my breath.  I just wonder if anyone has ordered directly from them recently and what the result was.

1 hour ago, TransAmMike said:

I really do hope they do give us some kind of answer and solution, but not holding my breath.  I just wonder if anyone has ordered directly from them recently and what the result was.

The two sheets I got last week came directly from them.

Received the "chrome" and "Matte Aluminum" yesterday.  The "chrome" I got is the same as others have described; thicker, less pliable and less sticky than the older "new improved chrome".  Compared to my remaining "new improved chrome" and it is objectively different, so am troubled that the vendor would say it's just a different label.

On a positive note the "matte aluminum" appears unchanged and functional similar to the "new improved chrome" other than the sheen.  With a little buffing the appearance is pretty indistinguishable from the chrome on small parts and thin strips (like trim).

Also, anyone tried this product:

EZ Chrome - Metal Foil Chrome Detailing Kit (innovativehobbysupply.com)

MG 1900  EZ Chrome - Metal Foil Chrome Detailing Kit