Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bare Metal Foil

1 hour ago, Bainford said:

You are very welcome, Josh.

Molotow that I applied a few years ago still looks like chrome. It seems that the liquid Molotow has a shelf life, but once applied it will retain it's chrome, if left undisturbed. It should be left to cure for several days (according to many users) and once applied, one should refrain from touching it, as it will dull. Some have reported that a dehydrator will make Molotow shinier and more durable, others have said the dehydrator dulled the shine. Clearly, personal experimentation should be undertaken.

👍👍👍👍

There was a member here few years ago who used silver leaf for chrome trim. He wrote a full thread about the process (if someone feels like searching for it). While the results are really good, and it is durable, it is still nowhere as easy as BMF.

I know there are several BMF foild threads on here so I chose this one since its the newest.  

Just wondering if anyone has gotten any very recently that is not a problem??   Just can't live without this stuff😀       I'm starting to begin my latest foiling endevor with the crappy stuff.

I've been working with the Silver Mirror markers I picked up and having good results.  They're VERY chrome when applied and seem to stand up to a little handling a little better than Molotow.  The big success I've had so far is on the kit I'm working on now.  I'm working on a C5R Corvette and used the markers to paint in the reflectors on the third brake light, tail lights, turn signals and marker lights.  Once dry, I hit the third brake and marker lights with clear red.  Molotow would have dulled, but this is still reflective underneath.  :)  Hope this helps a little.

I too have been through the various BMF products and EZ chrome.

Original Chrome was not too bad. Its flexibility was best for learning how to apply it.

New Improved Chrome is the BEST! Improved shine and decent adhesion.

Ultra Shiny Chrome. When my sheet was fresh, it was reasonable. As it aged the adhesive lost some of its sticking power.

With enough finesse, I could get it down long enough to get some Future on it to keep it sealed down to permit handling.

Unfortunately I have used up ALL 3 types that I had.

I have BMF on back order at my LHS. It has been at least a month.

I have hit up a couple of Hobby Stores in Portland, OR but they are out of stock.

EZ Chrome is garbage. The glue is so thick it leaves impressions from whatever crevice tool or burnishing tool you use.

Also the adhesive oozes out from under the edge.

I have used it as masking material for a two tone paint job.

The adhesive can be coaxed off an enamel painted surface with 91% alcohol.

Though that would be a bad plan on lacquer.

I saw some matte aluminum sheets available.

Anyone have experience with laying it down and getting a decent shine through burnishing?

The original BMF I was introduced to some 30 years ago was best! I immediately took to it, I could do no wrong!

I used to do things like wrap entire bumpers. I chromed the entire back panel on a 64 Impala low rider for a friend.

I’ve watched the product change over the years. It’s led me to believe, like a lot of aftermarket products, is that it’s produced by others for some other application, bought and repurposed, packaged by the BMF Company.

And the original product.. maybe from the electronics industry, has changed or suppliers discontinued and changed.. looking at the sheets, it’s obvious it came from a roll. Can anyone check to see if it has any electrical connectivity? As in would it be a circuit board material?

Many years ago there was a black vinyl material.. self adhesive.. that was sold as vinyl top kits.. seller confided in me that it was a boat dashboard cover material.. as an example.

Edited by Tom Geiger

• 3 months later...

I'm officially stuck now.  Trying to build Ecto-1 and I can't do the chrome.  The BMF I've got is all the new stuff that doesn't stick and I can't seem to get the stuff they used to make.  It's just marked "Chrome", but it's more like the ultra-bright than the original.  I can't get chrome pens to cover consistently.   I keep getting thin spots or it ends up globby.  And unfortunately I don't have the space to try and airbrush anything.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  

Edited by Deathgoblin

4 minutes ago, Deathgoblin said:

I'm officially stuck now.  Trying to build Ecto-1 and I can't do the chrome.  The BMF I've got is all the new stuff that doesn't stick and I can't seem to get the stuff they used to make.  It's just marked "Chrome", but it's more like the ultra-bright than the original.  I can't get chrome pens to cover consistently.   I keep getting thin spots or it ends up globby.  And unfortunately I don't have the space to try and airbrush anything.  Does have any recommendations?  

Might have to try and get better with the pins or use silver sharpie OR kitchen foil route with BMF adhesive.

Edited by Dpate

On 8/6/2021 at 6:26 PM, peteski said:

There was a member here few years ago who used silver leaf for chrome trim. He wrote a full thread about the process (if someone feels like searching for it). While the results are really good, and it is durable, it is still nowhere as easy as BMF.

This was interesting - thanks for the heads up on this technique!  I don't think I'd use it as intended, but it would be cool to be able to do gold / silver leaf lettering, say for a vintage dragster of some kind!  Cool!

The sheet I recently ordered had the adhesive "issue". It refused to stick whatsoever. Had to use the last of the sheet I bought a few years ago for my Jaguar E-Type project. Despite being at least two years old, it stuck perfectly. If BMF can't produce a decent product anymore I'll look for alternatives... I use Molotow pens a lot for small details but it's too fragile for surfaces like exterior trim that might be handled or polished. Fortunately most of the stuff I build isn't heavy on the chrome trim. If I had to foil a '59 Caddy with the new stuff I wouldn't be happy.

With all the chatter regarding BMF around the interwebs. I have been trying to conserve all of the "old stuff" I had in stock. I got down to the last bit I had and it was the bad stuff with the wrinkles in it. Broke down and ordered 2 sheets of the "Chrome" within the last month.

Opened one package and to me it works just fine. If I have to nitpick, I'd say it is thicker than some of the "old stuff". Seems to stick fine, cuts fine (with a new blade of course) as any that I've used in the past.

Just now quickly applied some to this bare plastic '69 Camaro. This was three pieces on the side trim. I would typically use one big piece for something like this, but wanted to test overlaying it together. Having a smooth finish is always key and I try to get my paint jobs to come out smoother than bare kit plastic. 😎

FoiledCamaro.jpg.4c1d58e5908ab453932333563adb52a8.jpg

• Like 1

I'm a long time BMF'er so as has been discussed at length, the new stuff does'nt stick well. Just wondering if in others experience, of the new BMF, is there a difference in the sticyness between the Ultra Chrome and the regular chrome.  The Ultra does seem a bit thinner than the regular.      Gotta buy some so just wondering.