Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bare Metal Foil

FedEx delived my package of BMF from Hobbylinc today.  I ordered "new improved chrome" and package I have says "chrome".  I opened and tried it and it's NOT the new improved stuff.  I called BMF and the guy said he's finally out of "new improved chrome" stickers but it's the same foil.  I don't think so!  It's more like the ultra chrome garbage in that it doesn't adhere well and doesn't like tight spaces.

I emailed a question to Hobbylinc but probably won't hear back from them for a cuple of days.

I've had some issues with the first 1/4" or so around the edges of the sheet not having any adhesive properties. I've also received a sheet that was cracked in multiple places making those areas unusable. Overall I do like the product however. 

Edited by AMT68

I wonder why they let the stickers run out before ordering more?  Hmmm . . .  They also don't seem to be stocking any of their resin/rubber kits (they all show out of stock). I hope this is not a bad omen.  This is not a rumor - I'm just thinking out loud.

What was the question?

1 hour ago, peteski said:

They also don't seem to be stocking any of their resin/rubber kits (they all show out of stock). I hope this is not a bad omen.  

Bad!?? It's great news. Polytek has terrible customer service in my experience. They sent me resin which wouldn't cure properly, never returned my calls nor answered my e-mails, and never replied when a PayPal dispute was opened by me. Seriously, I'm not sure I've ever had a poorer customer service experience in my life. I would recommend avoiding Polytek (you know they bought out Alumilite a few years ago, saw you mention it elsewhere)/Alumilite, period.

Smooth-On is a far better company to deal with, and their products are excellent in my experience. Easy to locate, too, with multiple distrubutors.

Edited by Casey

To be honest, I never tried Polytek resins or RTVs.  I only infrequently make some simple castings and I started off couple of decades ago using Alumilite (back then they only sold the fast-set urethane and Dow Corning RTV). Then I moved onto SmoothOn.  But I thought I heard some good things about Polytek, and yes, they also own Alumilite.   Interesting

• 3 months later...

It seems like the last several times I've to order BMF I've gotten the ultra stuff.  It was just marked "chrome".  I've even recently tried to order directly from BMF directly and it's backordered.  I wonder if there's a supply problem?  Unfortunately, I'm out and I'm stuck on a kit until I can get some.  

I tried bmf for the first time a few weeks ago.  I bought the "Chrome" from my LHS and it seemed to go down fine but if I touched it while picking up the model it would come up.  I could get it to lay back down but just didn't seem to have much sticky stuff on the back.  

The BMF NEW IMPROVED CHROME is GONE!!  During covid the BMF supplier had issues and was unable to deliver product, so BMF went to another source.  The new source is unable to produce BMF as thin as we're all used to, so they named it CHROME.  The stuff is garbage!!

As I’ve always thought, BMF buys the foil, maybe on a roll, cuts and packages it. The actual foil is produced by another party, and BMF Company.. and our entire hobby.. is dependent on their production.   That explains the changes over the years.  BMF was much easier to use 30 years ago when I first started. Seems I could foil anything back then. I even did entire bumpers with a single piece.

Edited by Tom Geiger

4 hours ago, crazyjim said:

The BMF NEW IMPROVED CHROME is GONE!!  During covid the BMF supplier had issues and was unable to deliver product, so BMF went to another source.  The new source is unable to produce BMF as thin as we're all used to, so they named it CHROME.  The stuff is garbage!!

So that is why the two sheets I just got from BMF feel thicker than I'm use to, stuff is a waste, and it sticks like you know what....guess it's time to learn how to use the pens or build stuff that doesn't require chrome trim be applied..

Edited by Painted Black
had to get rid of the blahs, BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH? a bad word?

3 hours ago, Painted Black said:

So that is why the two sheets I just got from BMF feel thicker than I'm use to, stuff is a waste, and it sticks like you know what....guess it's time to learn how to use the pens or build stuff that doesn't require chrome trim be applied..

You got it Robert.  I bought 10 packages of BMF from Hobbylinc because the picture clearly showed NEW IMPROVED CHROME and what was delivered was CHROME.  The CHROME is garbage so I sent it back for a full refund.  The same thing happened with a coupld of ebay sellers.. Back they went too.

I was surprised to find how difficult it was to even source some BMF in the UK, and I ended up ordering some from an Ebay seller in Germany. This seller had supplied me with a couple of Moebius kits previously, and their shipping was cheap and quick. All the usual suppliers of BMF in England are  oddly and currently showing ' Out of Stock '.

My pack of BMF from Germany has a sticker on it which says ' Chrome '........ Seemed to apply okay, but does not stick down very well.

David

I'm so glad finally others are now complaining about the current product as I took some flak when I first complained a few weeks ago. But...as it turns out, I used it on my latest build and tho it wasn't as good as it was it worked out pretty good, not perfect by any means, but OK.

1 hour ago, TransAmMike said:

I'm so glad finally others are now complaining about the current product as I took some flak when I first complained a few weeks ago. But...as it turns out, I used it on my latest build and tho it wasn't as good as it was it worked out pretty good, not perfect by any means, but OK.

Because at that time we didn't know about the BMF supplier issue.  The original CHROME foil is *NOT* just thin aluminum foil - the foil is made from some special alloy which is much more pliable than aluminum foil and it has a "warmer" silver color.  BMW was the only company I have ever seen sell that special foil.

If the supplier of that special foil is not making it anymore, we are all screwed.

Edited by peteski

It is a bummer to hear about the BMF issues. I had 4 sheets of various vintages and materials (apparently). Now I am completely out. I Ordered some from my LHS to "support your local businesses" but it has been on back order for awhile. I would happily pay $30 for a sheet of the "good" stuff.

19 hours ago, crazyjim said:

I'm also curious about the source of this info?  Where did it come from?  As I mentioned, it is not just thinness - it is the actual material that is unique.

Jim is correct , I was told the same thing when I called BMF a month or so ago .  I called them because their website shows everything in stock but no "New Improved Chrome" . 

I did an exhaustive search and emailed several vendors that showed "New Improved Chrome" being in stock , they all replied that the sticker actual said "Chrome" and they just haven't changed their websites . Both Hobbylinc and a vendor in Australia insisted that it was "New Improved Chrome" so I ordered a sheet from both places . Guess what ? They lied , I received "Chrome" from them both .