Model Cars Magazine Forum

Isuzu Impulse Turbo (early Fujimi kit)

Peter Lombardo

Completed Testors (early Fujimi kit) Impulse.  See WIP post if you are interested in the plan and early build with body modifications.

Painted Rust-oleum Matte Citron.  Top layered with Jacquard Pearl Ex Pigment Interference gold mixed with Tamiya gloss clear, then topped with Tamiya pearl clear with a final topping of Tamiya gloss clear.  Carbon fiber hood decal material is a sheet of Scale Motorsport cut to fit.  Window were sprayed with Tamiya smoke on the inside surface and black marker used for the window borders. Hood scoop is to bring in fresh air to the turbo intercooler.  Interior is Tamiya Matt Black with brown inserts which were then topped with Scale Motorsport Leopard Hide decals.  As the rear hatch is opened the truck cover lifts up with it. (Hard to see with it all being black).  Decal markings came from various left-over Japanese race car decal sets.ACtC-3eLNXKJvVE7kxtGdJmNKUgtO52EFEIZahoOACtC-3fvo259_Pa8RnTfc2mtNLopFqZAixbpqUot ACtC-3fT54o6ye9fRKYo7eFSmXxKtUPfTZATGlebACtC-3d4XY_-KRGtLlLXMdIcNw_0f_8zPZ2Q5CfJACtC-3eZJ9EXGFLkwqzHsOgOqMTp8eafrPxUOXQcACtC-3cqnuDgGsihF6NJG4kOIDjaUFy_k-di5Eq8ACtC-3erVD09-jhBSVfjrNs4cllxQQB3gza26pFCthe net 2 builds I have begun will be:  34 Ford Coupeimage.png.9224135c6407780639bbd2418f268376.pngand 1954 Buick Wildcat roadster

image.png.29438e0d7fb480009a93944a4edb7a84.pngimage.png.0c1c9f568bf2400d885b8ace769b83c8.png

Edited by Peter Lombardo

That Wildcat show car has been different colors through it's existence, That blue in those early photos, then gold( which is what was when I got to sit in it when I was about 7 years old and it was on display at the Buick dealership where my Dad was service manager) and now it's red.

The paint work looks great. The engine detail painting gives this a very realistic look.  I recall seeing the Buick show car in the Chicago Auto Show as a child. Looking at this picture the thing that catches my eye now is thinking about the time frame of this show car and thinking about the Corvette when they started going to the current hood and fenders opening together. I know the current design is hinged in the front rather than the rear but the overall design done in the early '50's was really futuristic at the time. 

Chevrolet was getting great reviews in the early 50s when they showcased the new Corvette.  Looking to build on the great press, and kind of, spread the excitement around other GM brands, the Corvette chassis was "loaned out" to the other design studios under the corporate umbrella.  Buick basically took the rear three quarters of the Corvette with minor taillight changes and dropped on the front end styling from their road cars, and presto, they had a sport roadster to showcase.  In the early version of the car, it has a very unique feature in that the headlights were mounted next to the windshield.  On the replica versions build well after the original version, the headlights were moved to a more conventional location in front of the front wheels and next to the parking lights.  Also, the hood ornament from the original car was dropped.  My plan is to build the original version.  Looking at the picture with the lady in yellow with the green scarf, it seems clear to me where the inspiration for the two "Dagmar" bumperettes on the front of the car came from.