Model Cars Magazine Forum

TOMMY IVO 1/25 DRAGSTER

DavidChampagne

I was in Walmart checking the fingernail polish when I saw this one..."ESSIE  #1640 DON'T BE SPOTTED". I thought it was a neat color so I got a couple  bottles. I used it on this one, not really thinking about matching the real colors. As I was putting on decals, I kept thinking it was close to all the pictures  have. Real happy with it.

The front did not fit well at all, so I glued it together and started body working it. Same with the drivers cowl.

Be warned, the decals are fragile and split on me several times.

image.thumb.jpeg.c8e4413ed69cc35bece9bb932658de53.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.96a064f8784afbc39967c2daf0af5a7f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7dbe3b9036c599454ecdce3027302d5c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4d11fe18377080bbd11db0d6074cd7bb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.80655a38c9c5d18c323e2e218537e0e3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.93c1380668bb1c79f52bfb9aeb8ad315.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.05677592e71f86c4cc2282758e1ffc32.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d5246fea437fe8d40023f99aa27ab9bf.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.55b498620da97d6e96e4ddaa6f0eab82.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0f836b383ac6341777294ed4a2117232.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.779004ac37bf11b72833a45c102446ae.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.acd7821d904e6a8804db045b3ccab7f6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.17a13176e4f3f5935cbd8104523efe07.jpeg

• Like 1

Very nice job!  I have this kit on the shelf waiting to be built.  If you don't mind me asking, can you give some detail on how you applied the fingernail polish?  What type of thinner did you use?  Number of coats, etc.?  It turned out beautiful!

19 minutes ago, Mieser said:

Very nice job!  I have this kit on the shelf waiting to be built.  If you don't mind me asking, can you give some detail on how you applied the fingernail polish?  What type of thinner did you use?  Number of coats, etc.?  It turned out beautiful!

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

Jay.. fingernail polish is very easy to use. I mix it 50% polish to 50% Lacquer Thinner, or 1 to 1. I think I read someplace that it has to be Lacquer Thinner. Anyway, I have been using this mixture and it turns out fine. It seems to dry pretty fast but without a shiny finish (flat). I use "Model Masters ENAMEL Clear Top Coat #2936". I decant it into a coke bottle so I can use my airbrush. Yes...I am using an ENAMEL clear coat over a basically LACQUER paint. No problems so far. I apply decals before clear coating but I do a real real light sanding with 1000 grit sandpaper just get it a little slicker. The fingernail polish has a "Dusty" feel when it drys, sands off very easy. Doesn't seem to matter wet or dry sanding. Just not too much. You will see what I mean by feels dusty. Hell, it may just wipe off, so go easy. So, get over to Walmart, get a good supply of Lacquer Thinner, then swallow your pride and go pick out some fingernail polish. I don't even tell people it is for my wife anymore.

For this model, I used "ESSIE #1640 Don't Be Spotted". I actually picked it up because I liked the color and it was a clearance sale. Can't find it at my store anymore but beauty supply stores carry it. I did make up a mixture of Testers Yellow and Orange brush enamels do use as a base coat. Just keep adding a little of this and a little of that until it is close to the polish, saves on polish. I don't remember if I used more yellow or orange so just play with small adjustments. I then thinned the mixture with MINERAL SPIRITS since it is Enamel paint and airbrushed it. If you go with a Lacquer paint use Lacquer Thinner. I always wait about 24 hrs before taking the next step.

It doesn't seem to matter what brand of polish. Number of coats..well, until I am happy with it, but usually all in one sitting. I spray a light coat, then a little heavier, then a little heavier until I a satisfied. I don't wait X number of minutes between coats. In fact, I don't wait at all. I just go around and around until I am happy.

Good luck. It really is easy to use and the colors choices can fill a galaxy.

If I can be of anymore help just ask.

1 hour ago, Mieser said:

Jay, one more thing, or two.

I use empty little bottles from testers brush paints to measure things. I fill one with polish or paint and another next to it with my thinner. That way I can see the levels of each.

And like I said, be gentle with the decals.

Great job on that Ivo build David as that is a sweet lookin' dragster. I had met TV Tommy Ivo back in 2007 at the Holley National Hot Rod Reunion and he is a great guy to talk to as well, and yes I did get his autograph also. I had built that kit years ago not as the Ivo car, but as another dragster that caught my eye back in the 60's. I won't post it here as this is YOUR space. Again your dragster came out lookin' great!

13 hours ago, High octane said:

Great job on that Ivo build David as that is a sweet lookin' dragster. I had met TV Tommy Ivo back in 2007 at the Holley National Hot Rod Reunion and he is a great guy to talk to as well, and yes I did get his autograph also. I had built that kit years ago not as the Ivo car, but as another dragster that caught my eye back in the 60's. I won't post it here as this is YOUR space. Again your dragster came out lookin' great!

By all means, please post it , here is fine.

I am sure other front engine dragster fans would love to see it too.

With David's permission as he had asked me to post this for all of you dragster fans, this is how I made my dragster using the Ivo kit and a photo of "The Beast From The East dragster that I saw race back in the 60's........................................................

2v2uhZdVWxAdjKg.jpg

2v2uitVuVxAdjKg.jpg

2 hours ago, High octane said:

With David's permission as he had asked me to post this for all of you dragster fans, this is how I made my dragster using the Ivo kit and a photo of "The Beast From The East dragster that I saw race back in the 60's........................................................

2v2uhZdVWxAdjKg.jpg

2v2uitVuVxAdjKg.jpg

Looks pretty good Nick. Thanks for posting.

Don't think I ever saw this one.