Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Small block Chevrolet engine

Is there a 1/24 kit engine, or aftermarket engine with crisp detail which reasonably resembles a current GM Small block crate engine?  I want to put this in a Monogram 1978 Corvette.

Edited by kurth
typos

1 hour ago, JollySipper said:

The Revellogram '37 Ford Coupe has a pretty nice small block in 1/24......

The Revell '37 Ford Convertible as well..  It's nicer than the one I mentioned in the '34 kit above.   

There is an LT1 in the Boyds Smoothster and Vantastic as well

Edited by 62SY4
Add LT1

1 hour ago, 62SY4 said:

There is one in the Revell Monogram Thom Taylor '34 Ford Cabriolet, however the starter and oil filters are transposed. 

That engine is actually a Pontiac, the basic engine was in the original '34 Ford customizing kit that was the starting point.  The ZZ Top Eliminator kit has the same engine.

10 minutes ago, Mark said:

That engine is actually a Pontiac, the basic engine was in the original '34 Ford customizing kit that was the starting point.  The ZZ Top Eliminator kit has the same engine.

That makes sense given the oil filter and starter locations, but darn the intake and heads look sbc. 

The accessory parts do look like Chevy stuff.  They probably figured that, with the hood sides in place, nobody would notice the rest.  The ZZ Top kit is pretty much a curbside for practical purposes, as I recall it has the stock single exhaust detail molded in.

• 3 weeks later...

I am still trying to find a suitable engine. my 99 Impala SS has a missing valve cover and  since this kit started as a snap kit, the engine is too simplified for this project.

The newer revell Olds cutlass is 1/25, but the engine has the level of detail I want. It has a seperate starter, oil filter, and a nice serpentine accessory drive, but what I do not remember, and can not find easily is what year did GM start using the chevrolet engine in all makes? And is the engine in the olds really a chevrolet engine?  

I would not stress if the engine is 1/24 or 1/25, the actual size of the engine is what counts and I've noticed it has nothing to do with the scale difference between 1/24 and 1/25. I have always mixed those parts on my builds and there is no way anyone could tell if a certain part was different scale than the rest of the model.

8 minutes ago, kurth said:

I am still trying to find a suitable engine. my 99 Impala SS has a missing valve cover and  since this kit started as a snap kit, the engine is too simplified for this project.

The newer revell Olds cutlass is 1/25, but the engine has the level of detail I want. It has a seperate starter, oil filter, and a nice serpentine accessory drive, but what I do not remember, and can not find easily is what year did GM start using the chevrolet engine in all makes? And is the engine in the olds really a chevrolet engine?  

Those newer Impala kits are 1/25 anyway, not 1/24. ,, and any engine in a 442 is an actual Olds, not Chevy.

I really can't think of any well detailed SBC engines in 1/24 that haven't been mentioned already. I'd just pick one and go with it. It's mostly hidden in a Vette anyway.

But, there's no reason you can't use the Olds accessory belts on a Chevy engine with a little tweaking. 

How about the one in the '86 Monte Carlo SS. Recently reissued. It's 1/24, has a good level of detail and an automatic trans. You could mix and match with the one that comes in the '37 Ford kits to get a "crate motor" the way you want it.

Edited by larman

1 minute ago, larman said:

How about the one in the '86 Monte Carlo SS. Recently reissued. It's 1/24, has a good level of detail and an automatic trans. 

I am considering that one as well. I built that kit recently, and just looked at the engine to refresh my memory.

2 hours ago, Can-Con said:

I really can't think of any well detailed SBC engines in 1/24 that haven't been mentioned already. I'd just pick one and go with it. It's mostly hidden in a Vette anyway.

You are right. I might be overthinking this, I looked at more pictures of 78 corvette engine bays.  All you can see are the air cleaner, maybe 1 valve cover and a ton of vacuum hoses. This was a good exercise in case I think of another project.  with a similar theme.