Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2008 DAF XF105

Here is my Revell of Germany 2008(ish) DAF XF105 Space Cab.  I really enjoyed this kit, for the most part; and the hardest part was assembling & mounting the cab.  Guess I just need more experience with Italeri/Revell cabs as this is only my second one.  The color is Testors Extreme Lacquer Daytona Yellow.  Any errors that you see are solely mine, and nothing to do with the kit.

20210327_160130.jpg.8f7cab03990bdf0e7add93d1d8d5cbef.jpg

20210327_160156.jpg.ba08a3724a57b500544786040718fe0f.jpg

20210327_160301.jpg.ef9ea938695a733f8cafd2c3794ddd07.jpg

20210327_160224.jpg.d7f49eeb2d48d202c85e3104d96278cf.jpg

Since DAF is a Dutch company, I figured that I'd use the plated from The Netherlands.  Seemed appropriate.  Now, can one of our European modelers tell me what the "70" & "80" on the back of the cab are for?  Are they some sort of speed restriction? 80kph doesn't seem very fast for a highway.

Here are some shots of the interior before I sealed it up in the cab:

20210101_121411.thumb.jpg.49dda23cbba00cef0f3ac519979e840a.jpg

Thanks for looking.

20210101_121354.jpg

Edited by Jim B

Yes, the 70 and 80 decals are the maximum allowed speed limit in kilometers per hour the truck can go at on different kind of roads in some countries in Europe and it's a warning to other road users that they are driving at a lower speed than allowed on the road.
Here in Sweden where I live the trucks are not required to have these decals and 80 kph is the speed limit for them and the speed limiter required in heavy trucks since the early 90's in most countries in Europe are set at 90 and most of them drive at 85-90 kph on the highways here even if they weigh 65 metric tons.

Edited by Force

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys. I appreciate it.

Thank you for the information, Force. I had a feeling they were something like that. I remember back in the 1970s here in the US, trucks had to drive about 10mph slower than cars on the Interstate highways. It's not that way now, as far as I know. 

7 hours ago, Jim B said:

Thank you for the information, Force. I had a feeling they were something like that. I remember back in the 1970s here in the US, trucks had to drive about 10mph slower than cars on the Interstate highways. It's not that way now, as far as I know. 

I have been to the US and California 9 times since 1998 and I have seen signs on some Highways and Interstate Freeways where it reads "Autos with trailers/Trucks 55 Maximum" and one time I saw three speed limit signs in a row, Speed Limit 75 on the first, Truck Speed 65 on the second and Minimum Speed 55 on the third.
But mostly one feel in the way when the trucks are coming up behind you even if you're slightly over the speed limit yourself.

And I forgot to add, Nice build of the DAF.

Thanks for the positive comments, guys.

Håkan, I like how you said "the US and California" like they are two different places.  That's funny.  I haven't been out West much.  Couple of trips to LA & a week in Las Vegas.  That's about it.

Well I live in Sweden and I have to travel to the US first, and I have not just been to California but mostly there in the L.A. area, but I have also been to Arizona, Nevada and Oregon under my 9 trips so far...and changed flights a couple of times at O'Hare airport in Chicago Illinois.
I had planned to make my 10th trip in 20 years in October-November last fall but the Corona virus did stop that in it's tracks.

Edited by Force

Thanks, Peter.  This model is curbside, but I don't think that really detracts from the kit.  The headlights do have lenses.  They are the full wrap-around style (like most modern cars).  The glass is very thin & super clear, so it doesn't show up well in the photos, but I assure you that it's there.

This is a very nice looking rig... Excellent work... Don't fret about the cab assembly, their cab mating thwarts me pretty good, as well...

Don't mean to scare you, but wait till you get to a MB Actros, or a Scania... Now that's a tricky assembly to get right....

Edited by kilrathy10