Spottedlaurel

Latest completion:

51077157861_327475e366_b.jpg

AMT 1967 Chevrolet Impala kit by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

WIP thread here:

I started with this circa 2015 issue picked up off eBay:

51007973710_b643daa3d7_b.jpg

It jumped the queue somewhat after I got a can of Rover Sandalwood Beige paintwork and I had an image in my mind after seeing a 1:1 '68 Impala at a show in 2019. Straight bodywork, period colour, stock interior and older-style wheels to keep it subtle(ish), but lowered and fitted with an LT5 from an AMT Corvette ZR-1. Thus turned out to be a much easier swap than when I dropped an LT5 into a '65 Corvette. Wheels are MRC Keystone Klassics with Revell #9 detail painting, fitted with big-and-little tyres from an unknown Japanese kit (probably Fujimi) as I preferred them to the MRC Firestone Wide Ovals.

51076460203_dfbc64b3bd_b.jpg

I filled the hood vent and shaved the badges to give it a slightly smoother look, otherwise the body is stock. Panel lines were scribed and given a wash of thinned brown enamel paint.

51077257312_7bacc324bb_b.jpg

This shot makes it look like the rear wheel is a little too far back. I didn't think that was an issue, but after the hassle I had getting it to sit right if that's the worst fault that's apparent then I can live with that. I had a chassis fitment issue which I never fully corrected even after much shaving and trimming of the interior and glass. I lowered it by chopping a scale 2-3" out of the rear coils and swapping the front uprights from side-to-side, which was easy and worked well, accepting that I've lost the connection to the steering arms (but it gives posable steering).

51077158051_7093af5672_b.jpg

51077257157_c9f168dbb8_b.jpg

51077257222_21e6dc7fee_b.jpg

51007973675_4bc9b38d68_b.jpg

I went for a tidy, restored look underneath rather than factory primer and overspray. Yes, some of the exhaust system is missing. Getting some material in and learning how to make up/modify a system is something I need to do......

50989595288_6ef8ebbc8f_b.jpg

1:25 AMT 1967 Chevrolet Impala kit by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

50990409467_5f6d5b645b_b.jpg

1:25 AMT 1967 Chevrolet Impala kit by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Interior was painted with an automotive can of metallic bronze.

51007973770_e572471704_b.jpg

The LT5 swap was so easy and there was plenty of room for it, if anything it looks a bit lost in there so I made more effort to use the Corvette's air-con etc. I've fitted the latter's radiator and twin electric fan set-up. If I was doing it again I'd shave all of the moulded-in wires, hoses etc off the inner wings.

51077157741_205da20d42_b.jpg

Comparison with the Monogram/Monogram LT5 conversion I did last year.

51077157771_602d32b128_b.jpg

And a shot with the now-curbside AMT donor kit.

It's a real shame I struggled with the fitment issue - I trial-fitted lots of times, but I just couldn't work out where I was getting the problem. Main source of it seemed to be the front glass, as it was fine up to that point, but it's possible I got the interior side panels in the wrong place before then.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Spottedlaurel

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

The colour I chose was fairly close to Capri Cream, I saw a really nice example of the Impala in that shade online and I liked the subtle appearance, even if it might have looked sharper in a metallic. I thought it gave more of a sleeper look.

10 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Great job on the Impala! Nice mix of old school (wheels), and new school (LT-5 engine) gives it a perfect look.

10 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Nice looking Impala Nigel! I really like how the color looks on that body! I wasn't sure how the Keystones would go with the LT-5. But, they really suit the look it has. Nice work! 

On 3/28/2021 at 9:03 AM, Dodge Driver said:

Awesome! Those Keystones are spot on! Nice job integrating the LT5. I like the stock appearance combined with the surprise under the hood. 

I wanted something that was a step back from Pro Touring, keeping the period look but giving it modern(ish) performance and reliability.

I wonder how it would go with an LT5? Swapped into something as big and heavy as an Impala might take the edge off its outright performance, and doubtless a period big block could be tuned to give the same power but it might not be as driveable? The LT5 and long gearing would make it into a rather nice long distance cruiser perhaps? I can daydream about using it to cruise around on the USA/Canada road trip I'll probably never take, visiting a few shows, swapmeets etc.......

I admit to wondering about your color choice when you started on this build but looking at it finished I like it better than most I've seen. The stance really looks good with the style of wheels you used. The interior looks great and after overcoming the fitment problems it looks clean.  

Thanks everyone!

11 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Beautiful looking Impala, I really like that plain beige stock look. Loving those wheels, very nice job.

On 3/29/2021 at 3:35 PM, espo said:

I admit to wondering about your color choice when you started on this build but looking at it finished I like it better than most I've seen. The stance really looks good with the style of wheels you used. The interior looks great and after overcoming the fitment problems it looks clean.  

I'm not entirely sure where the beige paint idea came from - although it's close to Capri Cream that's not a colour I knew about beforehand, and the 1:1 Impala I saw was white. I think it was just the ability for the beige to give it the sleeper look.

I'm really pleased I found these Keystones, just wish I had another set or two!

Very nice Impala Nigel! The first photo could easily fool you that it’s a real car. I must admit, “old man tan” wouldn’t have been my first choice, BUT, it looks awesome on there. Beautiful clean build all round, and excellent photos too.

Cheers, Steve

Wow, those are some real American beauties there! Just went through your WIP thread to find out how you did all your excellent bright work. Love the trick of flat clear coating the kit chrome - definitely going to use that one; as for the BMF, I'm going to have to take classes as I can't even peel it off the backing right!! 100% agree with the horizontal-only-lines on the grill. 👍