Model Cars Magazine Forum

'67 AMT Impala Coupe + LT5

Spottedlaurel

Thanks everyone!

14 hours ago, Pete75 said:

Wow, those are some real American beauties there! Just went through your WIP thread to find out how you did all your excellent bright work. Love the trick of flat clear coating the kit chrome - definitely going to use that one; as for the BMF, I'm going to have to take classes as I can't even peel it off the backing right!! 100% agree with the horizontal-only-lines on the grill. 👍

I can't take any credit for the the flat/semi-gloss clear on plated parts, that was a tip I picked up on here last year - perhaps from Dennis Lacy? Try it on a bit of sprue first, but it's remarkable how it changes the appearance from the OTT chromed look to something more realistic without the hassle of stripping and repainting. The Tamiya spray cans I use seem to go on nice and even in thin coats without building up in corners (something I struggle with when using their Smoke spray). I deliberately kept some of the parts shiny, as I thought a proud owner might like to have a bit of bling under the bonnet, even if it wasn't like that from the factory.