Model Cars Magazine Forum

Does Anyone know 1/24 Central (Sentraru Mokei) kits ?

2 years ago I won a built-up model from an Italian ebayer (it was named "Cental Mokei British Ford") - it was a nice build, probably from the late 60's/early 70's - I'm going to disassemble it, modify some parts and then it will be turned into the Alan Mann Ford P68 3 l prototype driven by Bruce McLaren/Mike Spence at the BOAC 500 in Brands Hatch in April 1968. The model has been originally molded in dark green and clear glosscoated by the builder which has yellowed over time. It shows the prototype when presented to the public and therefore is missing the front indicator lights and the correct rear-view-mirror (roof-mounted).

It will get the famous Alan Mann red and gold livery with the correct markings. While the body is 90 % correct in looks and proportions, there are some issues with the engine cover. The stance is too high at the rear, the wheels are too narrow, and the Cosworth engine is a bit oversized (due to the fact that this kit has been battery-operated like many others from Japan at that time - Scale Mates modeling database says the company had activities only from 1969 - 1972 and does only list some 1/32 cars). Maybe this one dates from 1968? It certainly is a huge rarity.

Anyway, I will probably use some parts, maybe the wheels also from a Fujimi 1968 Ford GT 40 to pimp this one a bit up - it is one of the most beautiful sports racers in my opinion, but did not finish any race.

Here are some pics as it looked when I got it.

IMG_0270.JPG

IMG_0271.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, afx said:

Great score.  Wasn't aware of this car being available in 1/24 scale plastic.

I was not either, JC - that was pure coincidence.

19 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Wow, that is a real beauty. Swoopy and sleek, and it has FORD written on the side.  Couldn't ask for anything more.  As the others have said, hope you show us a WIP on this rebuild.

We'll see - I did some measurements and found out that the engine cover should be lengthened at the front by 4 - 5 mm (about 0,2 "), whereas the wheelbase and the total car length are correct for 1/24. This sounds like major surgery, and I'm not sure if I' going to do that.

22 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Congratulations on a great find.  Their 1/32 scale had some  super kits too.  Thank you for sharing it with us.

Thanks, Gary - I will try my best with this - It is one of my favourite race cars, even if it was not successful.

8 hours ago, bisc63 said:

That is just too cool! What a beautiful car! Why aren't there models of it available?!

Thanks, Rusty - in 1/32 there is a very old (dating from 1968 or 69) Airfix plastic kit available, that has been reissued several times over the last decades. I had this one, but sold it a few years ago: everything was molded in light grey plastic, even the tires - some clear parts were for the windows and headlights, decals were only included for the race number of Brands Hatch.

In 1/24 there is an expensive resin kit from Profil 24 which represents the Nürburgring version of Frank Gardner/Richard Attwood, and the even more expensive resin kits from Model Factory Hiro, which comes in several versions: Nürburgring 1968 and Brands Hatch 1968, where Bruce McLaren/Mike Spence started (and DNFed) . Both are beyond my wallet - so I will try to correct a little bit this one.