Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Lamborghini Miura P400SV

e30lover

Spectacular work as always. Wet sanding between coats of clear as you have done to produce this mirror like finish is something I need to attempt. I'm always concerned about burning through the color coat at that stage though. 

15 hours ago, Pete75 said:

Beautiful job. Amazing paint finish, as usual! 

Thank you very much!

14 hours ago, Safire6 said:

Everything is just beautiful about this, the subject, the build, the colors and the photography. Congrats!

Appreciate it! 

10 hours ago, michelle said:

nice work  this is the only lambo i like 

It's my favourite lambo as well! 

9 hours ago, Roger U said:

Outstanding clean build. Beautiful paint.

Thank you! 

9 hours ago, grodudulle77 said:

Wow, it looks like the real car, outstanding work !!! 🤙🤙🤙

Thank you very much!

9 hours ago, doubleyoung2003 said:

so beautiful....😍

It is a beautiful model to work with! Highly recommended.

9 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Chang, another stunner from you there! Super-clean build, fantastic paintwork and a great colour choice inside and out.

Thank you! I spent so much time deciding what color combo to use!

7 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Awesome!

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Bainford said:

Gorgeous Miura. Very nicely done.

Appreciate it! 

1 hour ago, Peter Lombardo said:

Beautiful paint!  Super clean and crisp.  I did one in metallic red, personally, the Miura is my favorite Lambo since it has the cleanest and most flowing lines.  Todays Lambo's are amazing, but I find the angular lines rather "off putting" compared to the smooth lines of the Miura.

I agree! I love all the pre-countach era Lambos.

1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

That is an excellent model Chang! Beautiful colors and so realistic looking! And your photography is so well done! I usually prefer outside photos. But, your studio photos are even better! Excellent work!

Thank you! Soft box setting definitely hides all the imperfections.

1 hour ago, papajohn97 said:

Great pics!!!!. Looks like you shot these outside on a “cloudy-bright” day that was ideal for illuminating shadows and avoiding hot spots/ glare. The reflected sky and beaches on the high gloss hid/roof really makes these pics pop. I also like the stepping stones you placed the car on and the out-of-focus branches in the background, very arty. As others have said, this Lambo model is pretty close to perfection but IMO it’s your photography skills that knock it out of the park! Thanks for posting!

You got it! Cloudy day or under some sort of shade is the best for any car photography. I sometimes shoot it early in the morning or right after sunset too.

37 minutes ago, espo said:

Stunning looking build details and the photography as well. In the late '60's the owner of San Bernardino Racing Equipment in San Bernardino Ca. bought a black Miura and would drive by where I was working at the time on his way to work. I could hear his car even when he was out of sight. He would go thru the gears and you could hear the change in the RPM at each stage until he would finally floor it. The final range of the RPM scale was more of a shrike like a Formula 1 car under full song and it could make the heir on the back of your neck stand on end even though he was a block or more down the road.  Always looked forward to hearing his morning commute.   

Sounds like a real treat!  I don't think I saw Miura in action yet. I only saw them sitting on the grass in car shows. 

16 minutes ago, AMT68 said:

Spectacular work as always. Wet sanding between coats of clear as you have done to produce this mirror like finish is something I need to attempt. I'm always concerned about burning through the color coat at that stage though. 

Thank you! Wet-sanding the second base coat is always a bit dicey and sometimes I have to apply touch up paints - and I usually hit with 2000 grit after first clear coat and try to flatten the orange peel (and move onto the other spot if I end up seeing paint bleeding through) - but I rarely go through the paint if I cure the paint for a day or so. Personally, it saves me a lot of wetsanding efforts after the final coat as the final (second) layer feels lot smoother, and a bit safer b/c I take off less material from the final layer by just using 3000 grit and polishing compounds not 2000 grit for polishing.

Always nice to see spectacular work depicted by phenomenal photography.  As this is a build of one of my favorite cars of all time, it's hard to stop looking.  Well done! 

Edited by Monty

On 3/29/2021 at 3:25 PM, BVC500 said:

Great job and color combo!  I wish my photos turned out as well as yours.

Thank you! Smaller aperture (I shoot between F16 - F22) helps capturing all the details.

On 3/29/2021 at 5:42 PM, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

Appreciate it! 

On 3/29/2021 at 7:08 PM, Monty said:

Always nice to see spectacular work depicted by phenomenal photography.  As this is a build of one of my favorite cars of all time, it's hard to stop looking.  Well done! 

Thank you very much! 

On 3/29/2021 at 10:19 PM, WizPorsche944 said:

Wow I may have to dig out mine to build. How easy does it go together ? 

Nice job. 

It's definitely easy to put together - body was almost perfectly free of any uneven surface or nasty mold lines so I didn't spend hours of body prep (I'd typically spend a full day fixing this for revell/monogram kits). Interior metal transfers are a bit finicky but otherwise it's very easy to put together.

On 3/30/2021 at 12:41 AM, Aurora said:

What a beautiful result! Superb fit and finish.

Thank you!

On 3/30/2021 at 3:42 AM, airea said:

Great model and photography, very well executed. The paint job is very nice, very clean, overpaints. Attention to detail is great...

Thank you - the surface on my miura project isn't as good as my other previous work (all the flat panels were kinda hard to get mirror-like surface compared to convex panels), but the dark color helps hiding the imperfections 

On 3/30/2021 at 8:09 AM, slusher said:

Spectacular Lamborghini!

Thank you! 

20 hours ago, ewetwo said:

Hard to tell if it's a model or the real thing. Nice job.

Thank you! Hasegewa kit's metal transfers definitely helped. 

20 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

A masterpiece.  I'm doing a barn find, just avoid all that effort.  😅

I admire all the weathering work to achieve barn find look! To me that's harder than getting a good polished paint! 

18 hours ago, MarcoTJ said:

Fantastic work! The finish is amazing!

Thank you very much! 

17 hours ago, Matt P said:

I followed this build on Instagram and my jaw dropped every time you posted an update!

Seeing the results on my "big screen" computer makes it look even better. Amazing work.

Thanks a lot! 

12 hours ago, peteski said:

Beautiful!

Are the windshield wipers original (plastic) kit pieces?  Usually kit's plastic wipers are clunky, too-thick, and look out of place.  Those wipers look really fine and in-scale.

Yes, I didn't modify anything (didn't even de-chromed them) because they looked really good. PE wipers are great on these kind of sports cars with huge windshield but I wanted to save the hassle for later! 

12 hours ago, 69_Stingray said:

Superb! One of my favorite lamborghinis! 

Me too! I wish there are more pre-countach Lamborghini kits available.. 

On 3/31/2021 at 3:51 PM, Ulbo said:

Wow Wow Wow!!! Outstanding paint-job, details and pictures👍👍👍

On 3/31/2021 at 4:22 PM, ATHU said:

That Miura looks absolutely stunning, superb build and photography!!

On 3/31/2021 at 10:48 PM, BeakDoc said:

Wow! That’s a museum quality example of one of the most beautiful cars ever built.

Thank you! It's my favorite Lamborghini ever made! 

On 4/5/2021 at 3:28 AM, Funkychiken said:

Wow! Stunning paint finish and an overall beautiful build... Those curves deserve it! 

Thank you so much!

On 4/5/2021 at 1:53 PM, ddk said:

Tout simplement magnifique !!!! 

Thank you! 

On 4/6/2021 at 4:08 PM, 1959scudetto said:

Gorgeous paint on a spectacular model of one of the most beautiful sportscars ever

(proves again that in the 60's the greatest sportscars saw the light of the day) - nice photography, too !

Thank you! There are a lot of 60s machines I want to build, but kit selections are fairly limited! 

On 4/6/2021 at 4:21 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Looks so real!

It must be the little branches!