Model Cars Magazine Forum

1953 amt ford pickup

Thanks guys. I will pick this one up

I really like 50s style pickups and tried to build the amt 50 chevy 3500 but for the life of me i couldn't figure  out how to get the engine in straight. it was sitting up on an angle.  It looked funny and i went back through the instructions and could not find what i was doing wrong 

The AMT 1953 F-100 has its roots in 1962 ( give-or-take a year ) , but has held up amazingly well in spite of ad infinitum reissues . 

I recently built the c.2015 issue ( same box art as the original ) , and the only 'issues' I'd encountered were :

- Excess flash on some of the parts 

- The provided tyres are too narrow for any wheel other than the stock wheels 

Believe me , its upsides vastly outweigh any of its age-related shortcomings .  

5 hours ago, Plowboy said:

The only downside with this kit is the door panel detail is molded to the backside of the doors. No door panels themselves. Other than that, it's a great old kit!

I got the resin tuck & roll interior upgrade set from Ed Fluck(I think) and fixed that problem.

I had 80's and 90's reissues of this kit- as mentioned, it is overall pretty good for its age. Oddly, the 80's release I had was full of flash, and had some seams and voids in the body that required fixing- neither problem was as bad as the later version of the kit. I would be interested in hearing how the mold has held up in the latest release.

I know I built at least one of those back on the original issue in the 1960's, pretty sure I did two. As far as I can remember back then all went well. Seems to me it had a nice rendition of the flathead engine for the stock truck but I don't recall the second engine off hand.

22 hours ago, gman said:

I would be interested in hearing how the mold has held up in the latest release.

The latest version I built was in good shape. I don't recall it having any flash. The chrome tree was nice also. Of course, that may not be the case for every kit.

11 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

DeSoto Fire Dome with two custom-only inductions . 

Oooh, So that's where the Fire Dome came from I stuffed into another model back then ! I might have to acquire one of these trucks myself in due time.

12 hours ago, Plowboy said:

The latest version I built was in good shape. I don't recall it having any flash. The chrome tree was nice also. Of course, that may not be the case for every kit.

Good to hear. I imagine I'll track down a copy or two of the latest issue. As mentioned, it is a parts gold mine, and a good looking vehicle in its own right.

2 hours ago, Plowboy said:

The Firedome engine builds up nicely. I've always liked the breathers. Wiring them is simple. But, I don't like plumbing eight carburetors. 

48359353917_09a71ef11a_c.jpg

Awesome Greg ! I'm pretty sure I stuffed one of these in a full fendered 32 back in the day. Course it could have been the roadster that came with one anyway ( 1961-63 ish is a long time ago so I'm not sure lol). But what you have there came out great.