Model Cars Magazine Forum

F-1 Tyrrell Six Wheeler - Tamiya

Cool! Nice build of one of F1's more interesting creations. Looks great. I miss the days when thinking outside the box was not only tolerated, it was encouraged. So much free-thinking engineering going on in the 60s and 70s. I was so glad that this car won a race, thereby validating the wild six-wheeled design. 

17 minutes ago, Bainford said:

Cool! Nice build of one of F1's more interesting creations. Looks great. I miss the days when thinking outside the box was not only tolerated, it was encouraged. So much free-thinking engineering going on in the 60s and 70s. I was so glad that this car won a race, thereby validating the wild six-wheeled design. 

A really interesting car. Crazy design.

9 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

Well done!!! This is my all time favorite F1 car. I built the 1/12 kit years ago when it came out.....and finished the 1/20 in 2019. 

A good kit but I had to work a lot on the tires to make them smooth.

On 3/29/2021 at 10:35 AM, MarcoTJ said:

A good kit but I had to work a lot on the tires to make them smooth.

I wondered about that.  Having seen any number of builders who were unable to hide the seam between the two tire halves, I purposely avoided buying Tamiya race cars.  What's the secret to fixing it?

Very nice build, btw.

Edited by Monty

On 3/29/2021 at 2:34 PM, afx said:

One of my favorite F1 cars - nice work.

Thank you!

On 3/29/2021 at 3:05 PM, Belugawrx said:

Nice work on a very interesting car👍

😊😊

2 hours ago, cobraman said:

Great job on a wild car.

Crazy design. Nowadays you would need a bigger Pit team to change tires😊

2 hours ago, Monty said:

I wondered about that.  Having seen any number of builders who were unable to hide the seam between the two tire halves, I purposely avoided buying Tamiya race cars.  What's the secret to fixing it?

Very nice build, btw.

I put the tire on my Dremel (with a makeshift axle) and spun it over sandpaper. Not too fast to avoid excessive heating and melting the rubber.

Great job on one of my all-time favorite race cars. I got to see six wheelers in F1 racing at Long Beach in ‘77 (the white & blue ‘B’ models with wider front track). They were pretty competitive - Depailler came in 4th! I read later that the little windows were added to allow visibility of the front tires/ brakes during cornering; Scheckter once lost one of his four front wheels and wasn’t even aware of it! (gee....handling feels a little different...!). 
Love these 1/20 classic F1 cars - please build and post some more!

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic work Marko you did a fine job on it.

It may have been a crazy design but the principle was sound..... that of reducing frontal area (drag) while still maintaining the sam contact patch of rubber with the track. It's just a shame that Goodyear couldn't afford to develop the tyres. If they had it could have changed F1 as we know it!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/30/2021 at 11:32 AM, Monty said:

Very nice build, btw.

spacer.png

There is no need to remove the seam between the two halves of the tires. Actual F1 racing tires have a seam running down the middle of the tire. 

On 5/11/2021 at 6:36 PM, JohnnyK said:

spacer.png

There is no need to remove the seam between the two halves of the tires. Actual F1 racing tires have a seam running down the middle of the tire. 

That is the case with current Pirelli tires. I don't believe that a seem was that dominant on the Goodyear's run back in the mid '70s