Model Cars Magazine Forum

1976 mercury capri ll

michelle

i got this  from  larry ray 
it  was missing the  front bumper  and  2 of the wheels  and was hard to  pop apart  with out breaking it cause of all the glue but  ran it under water  and stuck it in the frezzer  for a hour  to  make the glue brittle  and easy to pop it all apart  though the body was still  pretty rough even with all the sanding i  did to  removed the glue caked on  the body  some of it  left ripples and other defects   that i  could not buff out  and  were  deep enough for me to use putty  on  
i replaced the two remaining wheels and tires and the two missing ones  with a set  from my wheel tire parts box 
i created the front bumper  from a portion of a back bumper from a broken  of  monogram snap it  fox body   mustang body  
the shifter came from my interior parts  parts box 
i painted the body  testors  extreme lacquer purple-licous 
i painted the interior  rust-oleum 2x paint+primer satin blossom white 
the decals are from my decal box 

IMG_1648.JPG

IMG_1643.JPG

IMG_1647.JPG

IMG_1642.JPG

IMG_1646.JPG

IMG_1645.JPG

IMG_1649.JPG

IMG_1644.JPG

IMG_1650.JPG

Edited by michelle

42 minutes ago, BeakDoc said:

Very cool. Don’t see those too often.

i have never seen a real one at any car show  and i asked a few people i know  who would have  been around when they were new  and no one even remembered this car 

1 hour ago, michelle said:

i have never seen a real one at any car show  and i asked a few people i know  who would have  been around when they were new  and no one even remembered this car 

We had a couple of Mercury dealers here that really sold the heck out of those so they were fairly common here. I see a few at shows these days. I remember the little two seat 90s Capri that was made in Australia and it was sold here. I did side work for Uptown Lincoln Mercury and everyone who bought from Uptown got a hand drawn ink and pencil art work of the car they bought. I did a few of those little two seaters. Uptown was also the local Bentley dealer and I drew two Bentleys in the two years I did that art for them.

24 minutes ago, doorsovdoon said:

Looks great, I'm liking the colour. Every boy racer in the 80s and 90's had one of these. I took a ride in my mates 2.8 injection back then, scariest ride I've ever been in!

thank you this is the north american version of the european version were they were orginally made for 
i plan on making a ford capri soon it is going to be left hand drive dash but it seems the ones made in germany were left hand drives while ones made in the uk were right hand drives 

17 hours ago, michelle said:

A funny aside..  I was at a small Covid friendly get together on Saturday and two women there both had a US Capri. I knew about one since I knew her back then, but the second one was a surprise. 

Nice capri II.👍👍I've been curious about that kit. What's the engine compartment like? Does it have enough room for a decent small block Ford engine like the 351 windsor that comes with the Revell Starsky and Hutch Torino?

4 hours ago, Railroad said:

Nice capri II.👍👍I've been curious about that kit. What's the engine compartment like? Does it have enough room for a decent small block Ford engine like the 351 windsor that comes with the Revell Starsky and Hutch Torino?

thank you 
it is  curbside promo  style  the  hood molded into body  and chassis has the bottom  half of engine molded in  same with front and back suspension and  exhaust pipes   

Edited by michelle