Model Cars Magazine Forum

Historic 32 Roadster Tribute

Dan Hay

12 hours ago, vr1000 said:

No door hinges and that big rear panel...McGee Roadster?

YES!  Nice job.  

So I said it would be a tribute.. that means I'm not sure if I can pull off the necessary details. And when I get mired in the details, that's when I lose interest in a project. I just want it to look like the McGee roadster for the average hot rodder, not be down to the last detail. 

1. Louvers in the hood top: they are right down the center on the McGee roadster, I'll have to graft in some louvers from another hood. I've never done that before so?

2. Hood side louvers:  I think I've figured out I can file down the stock hood side louvers to resemble the McGee

3. Dash/interior: I will be using one of Drag City Casting's up tops, so I might not bother with the unique dash

5. Running gear: the McGee had early Ford transmission and banjo rear with transverse leaf spring. I'm going to use the kit modern open driveline with coil-overs and ladder bars. 

6. McGee had 36 driveshaft torque tube exhaust, may or may not try to replicate that. 

I will be using the flathead/C4 combo from the 32 sedan kit. The front suspension is from the Revell Model A roadster. 

As you can see in the pics above, I have already extended the decklid, shortened and molded in the front frame horns and spreader bar, and filled the cowl vent. 

Anyone know where I can source a 2x2 intake for the flathead?  Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland? I don't have a catalog so I don't know what they offer. Federal Mogul heads?  I figure I'll just paint the Offys gold. 

Thanks for following along. 

6 minutes ago, Dan Hay said:

Anyone know where I can source a 2x2 intake for the flathead?  Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland? I don't have a catalog so I don't know what they offer. Federal Mogul heads?  I figure I'll just paint the Offys gold. 

I found one in the AMT 49 Mercury kit, I used it on my '34 pickup.

uumjtrA.jpg

Would that be the dual Burns intake seen at 10:31 here   ?     :(1) The McGee Roadster: Hot Rod Legend | Historic Vehicle Association Documentary - YouTube

I used a dual resin intake on the 32 chopped sedan, only because the height  looked like what I sourced on the Offy and Navarro flatheads posted during the build here:'32 Chopped Sedan Street Rod - Page 3 - WIP: Model Cars - Model Cars Magazine Forum

17 minutes ago, Dan Hay said:

Working on the side hood details. I carefully filed down the stock hood sides. Not exact but close enough for me. I need to fix gouges from the files, but pretty decent.

I think you have done a great job on the louvers.

Check out this YouTube video - The McGee Roadster: Hot Rod Legend | Historic Vehicle Association Documentary - YouTube

I see Speedshift beat me off the line

Edited by Phildaupho

The hood top is kind of a mess, my excuse is that I’ve never grafted in louvers before. But, I have a spare hood just in case, so I’m pushing onward to see if I can fix it.  The louvers for the good top are not the correct size as the 1:1, but it’s the best I can do. I used a hood side from the roadster kit and filed a few off to make the correct pattern 

5BF6DC24-FBAC-4784-875D-A41168B613BB.jpeg

0D3CCB98-B6EA-4CAA-91B5-99473FECFCDC.jpeg

4A2D2E06-9295-41DE-89A3-6BF1672DCA76.jpeg

Full credit for tackling a detailed replica build like this.  I went through exactly the same process you are tackling with the louvres on a replica of the Tony Nancy roadster.  And I encountered the same problems as you have,  a knife mark here, a filing mark there.  One of the great frustrations I find in modelling is that you only have to take one swipe too many with a file, a gnat's whisker in time, and then you have hours of repair and clean-up to follow! 

For what it is worth, I have now used on several builds, the separate louvre strips that came in early AMT customizing kits.  They turn out better than you would expect!

Isn't it comforting knowing you have a spare part, just in case?!?!?

Keep up the good work on  this iconic car.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alan barton

Looks like you're getting there on the hood sides. Not an easy way to go about it! Then again I don't know that there IS an easy way?

I did a hood top very similar not too long back for a '32 5-Window. Next time I do a louvered hood top I'll be setting in individual rows as opposed to one big chunk because if you look close you can see the shape of the piece I grafted in.

1576731352034-vi.jpg

18 minutes ago, Dennis Lacy said:

Looks like you're getting there on the hood sides. Not an easy way to go about it! Then again I don't know that there IS an easy way?

I did a hood top very similar not too long back for a '32 5-Window. Next time I do a louvered hood top I'll be setting in individual rows as opposed to one big chunk because if you look close you can see the shape of the piece I grafted in.

1576731352034-vi.jpg

Nice! I don’t think I have a sure enough hand for individual rows, and I have the same problem with the grafted piece not having the right curve to match the hood top. 

Quick primer mock up:

image.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty terrible at build threads, I did one for a 1:1 40 sedan on the HAMB a few years ago, did a lot better with that one. For some reason I don't remember to take pictures of what I'm doing.. anywho... here is a spy shot of the McGee Roadster. I'll probably finish it and post a new thread in the on the shelf section at this point. 

IMG_1742.JPG