Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1963 Impala SS

RDean58

Started in October, 20, 2019. Completed March 29, 2021. Painted Testor's Auto Lacquer Artesian Turquoise with Testor's Auto Lacquer Ultra Gloss Clear Coat. Engine block from AMT 64 Impala kit while the intake, valve covers, exhaust manifold, air cleaner and carbs are from AMT 62 Bel Air kit. Engine decals came in new version of AMT 63 Impala. Firewall is from AMT 64 Impala while radiator support and shroud is from AMT 1962 Bel Air kit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The 409 and SS are decals that came with the kit. I should have done the badges with a chrome pen before applying the decals. Lesson learned if I do another one.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I painted the panel chrome, then BMFed around the outside, then painted the Tail lights with clear red paint, flat white paint, then outlined with a Molotow 1mm chrome pen.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I should have put BMF on the badge before the decal.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking, all comments welcomed.

Beautiful “silk purse” you’ve made out of that “sow’s ear” of a kit (AMT ‘63 Impala). All this kit needs are four screws to be a return to my childhood modeling years..... I tried making a Dave Strickler Z-11 drag car out of this kit last year and also had to raid a perfectly good complete AMT ‘62 Bel Air kit for decent engine bay parts and steelie wheels . The ’61 and ‘62 AMT Chevies are such nice kits, too bad they didn’t re-do the ‘63 when they did these later kits. At least the body on the ‘63 is pretty decent. Your ‘63 is really gorgeous, thanks for sharing!

Great looking Impala. The color is a great match for one of the popular colors Chevrolet offered in '63 and the finish looks very smooth. Considering the basic chassis plate the kit has your detail painting looks good as well.