Model Cars Magazine Forum

Slammed GMC Squarebody

This is a project I've wanted to do for a loooong time. A while back I bought a couple of chassis' from the Revell Foose '56 Ford pickup kit for just this purpose...low modern-styled pickup trucks.

So, yesterday I started cutting stuff to see where it would lead me. I think this is gonna be a fairly simple/quick project and it looks like the wheelbase is going to be super close.

I glued the radiator support in its stock location and it pretty much sits level on the frame and it's going to be LOW! I cut the bed floor out and after a little research I found that the kit rear wheel tubs don't look anything like the 1:1 trucks. I cut the wheel tubs from an AMT '72 Chevy C10 bed I had in my junk box and I think they look much better. I made a bed floor from sheet stock for a contemporary custom look. The bed floor was raised about a 1/4". I plan on using the Deckoco resin big diameter "steel" wheels in the pics, not sure about caps or no caps yet.

I had to cut the front lower section out of the interior tub as the Foose chassis is flat and the original chassis has a area that goes down in the front.

I may back-burner this for a bit as there are a couple other projects that need to get done 1st, but I at least wanted to see what I was in for and if it would work.

Thanks for looking!

20210328_174937.jpg

20210328_175703.jpg

20210328_194749.jpg

Edited by Fish_65

Thanks everyone. I am having a lot of fun with this one & I encourage you guys to give it a try.

Just a minor update...After I cut the low hanging sections out of the interior tub out I realized I didn't really have any transmission tunnel. Not enough to work with anyway. So I decided I just replace the whole floor. I found an AMT 70 Monte Carlo floor pan in my 

junkbox so I grafted it in. I'm really happy with that. Almost looks like it was meant to be.

I am off work today and am hoping to get it sitting on all 4 by the end of the day...stay tuned.

20210330_171109.jpg

20210330_171242.jpg

20210330_174135.jpg

20210330_174916.jpg

This already looks cool Scott! Were you able to get the stance like it is with no modifications to the Foose chassis? I have a '68 C-10 that I want to build in a similar style. But, dread having to scratch build a frame for it.

13 hours ago, Fish_65 said:

Thanks everyone. I am having a lot of fun with this one & I encourage you guys to give it a try.

Just a minor update...After I cut the low hanging sections out of the interior tub out I realized I didn't really have any transmission tunnel. Not enough to work with anyway. So I decided I just replace the whole floor. I found an AMT 70 Monte Carlo floor pan in my 

junkbox so I grafted it in. I'm really happy with that. Almost looks like it was meant to be.

I am off work today and am hoping to get it sitting on all 4 by the end of the day...stay tuned.

20210330_171109.jpg

20210330_171242.jpg

20210330_174135.jpg

20210330_174916.jpg

Real nice idea!  

22 hours ago, Plowboy said:

This already looks cool Scott! Were you able to get the stance like it is with no modifications to the Foose chassis? I have a '68 C-10 that I want to build in a similar style. But, dread having to scratch build a frame for it.

Funny you should mention the previous generation C10...before committing to using the '84 I considered using the chassis on the AMT '72 GMC stepside. Possibly a future project.

20210327_193501.jpg

22 hours ago, Plowboy said:

This already looks cool Scott! Were you able to get the stance like it is with no modifications to the Foose chassis? 

Thanks guys!

I did manage to get the chassis sitting on all 4 last night. The only issues I really had was that the rear axle is now sitting on the frame rails (had to sacrifice reality for lowness 😄) and I had to move the axle back about .100" to get it centered in the wheel opening. I added .100" x .100" square stock to the kit mounting area for the 4 bar mount (circled area). It has a slight amount of hot rod rake, but I'm good with it.

20210402_164545.jpg

20210403_123355.jpg

20210403_124627.jpg

Edited by Fish_65

• 3 weeks later...