Model Cars Magazine Forum

1929 Ford Pickup 80's Surf Shop Street Rod - A Tim Boyd Tribute!

Many of you should know the name Tim Boyd by now as he has been a regular contributor to model car magazines for decades. One of his biggest focusses in the hobby is scale Hot Rods and Street Rods and the pages of those magazines have been filled with his how-to projects. He also used to do a monthly column for Street Rodder Magazine called "Modelers Corner". One particular issue, the May 1990, left a huge impression on me and remains one of my favorite scale Street Rod how-to articles of all-time. I was 10 years old when this issue came out and actually didn't discover it until I was 13 (1993) when I spent a summer reading through my Dad's entire back catalog of Street Rodder. I ended up keeping the May 1990 issue aside and over the years read it until the binding came apart. Not only did I love the scale Street Rod that Tim created and the detailed how-to that he provided, I also loved that the Editor saw fit to print the article all in one shot rather than break it up over 2 or 3 issues as Tim has stated was the original plan.

Here is the intro to the article. Note that with this being printed in 1990 this means the model was actually created in 1989 using the best Street Rod kit bashing parts available at the time from such kits as Monogram's 1937 Ford Sedan and ZZ Top Eliminator Coupe, Revell's 1926 T Sedan as well as, AMT's controversial 1933 Ford Sedan Street Rod - Not to mention Revell's 1929 Pickup kit as a foundation.

1601267101383-vi.jpg

I had been wanting to build a '29 Pickup inspired by this article for years and in the Summer of last year (good ol' 2020!) I decided that it was time to make it happen. It was not my intention to build an exact duplicate - and I didn't. Instead I did what Tim's column suggested, I got started on my own version of a scale street rod pickup. That said, there were some key design elements from Tim's truck that I knew mine had to have to keep it recognizable as a tribute such as the wheels, exhaust, basic engine, frame modifications and overall late 1980's "billet/smoothie" theme. I didn't plan it at the beginning but somewhere along the way I got the idea also make it surf shop themed.

This model was a true labor of love. I hope you like it @tim boyd !!!

- Revell 1929 Pickup frame, fenders, cab, bed, radiator and shell.

- Frame Z'd and rebuilt at rear, center "X" bracing made from cut down Monogram 1937 Ford Sedan frame pieces.

- Revell 1932 Ford series dropped front axle, tie rod, 4-bar links, shocks and disc brakes.

- AMT 1934 Ford 5-Window Corvette independent rear suspension with Revell '32 series disc brakes and AMT Ala Kart shocks.

- Monogram 1937 Sedan original issue Boyd Coddington wheels in Revell '32 Roadster HiBoy tires.

- AMT '34 5-Window small block Chevy engine with valve covers, belt drive, alternator, A/C compressor and block hugger headers from original issue '37 Sedan. Weiand tunnel ram intake and carbs from AMT '66 Nova Pro Street with air filter from Revell '37 Ford Convertible. Parts By Parks wired distributor, Detail Master street rod wire looms and Detail Master #1 fuel line and fittings. Modified exhaust with Supertrapp mufflers from Revell '67 Malibu Pro Street.

- Modified '37 Convertible dashboard with added stereo head unit. Monogram ZZ Top steering column and Revell 1940 Convertible steering wheel. Revell 1926 T Sedan door panels, seats, seat riser, pedals and E-brake handle. Front floor modified from Revell 1932 Dan Fink Speedwagon. AMT '34 5-Window shifter.

- Revell 1929 Ford Roadster headlights. Revell '32 Sedan taillight on '29 Pickup bracket.

- Revell 1937/38 Ford Pickup surf decals and surfboard. Monogram "Blue Bandito" '29 Pickup SCUBA tanks, swim fins, face mask, utility belt and duffel bag.

- Photo reproduced 1929 Hawaii license plate.

- Tamiya colors throughout. Polished with Adam's Paint Correcting polish and waxed with Adam's buttery Wax.

1616990776263-vi.jpg

1616990779246-vi.jpg

1616990812569-vi.jpg

1616990744494-vi.jpg

1616990769244-vi.jpg

1616990862842-vi.jpg

1616990865738-vi.jpg

1616990855478-vi.jpg

1616991063163-vi.jpg

1616990848138-vi.jpg

1616990849182-vi.jpg

1616991006632-vi.jpg

1616991055611-vi.jpg

1616990892905-vi.jpg

1616990881586-vi.jpg

1616991018224-vi.jpg

1616991035956-vi.jpg

1616991040656-vi.jpg

1616991044124-vi.jpg

• Like 1

Dennis....I can think of no higher honor than to have a model builder of your stature be inspired by one of my articles to have created this fine, fine piece of work.  And the fact that you used the article as  inspiration, but then added all sorts of your own touches and mods makes it all the better.

Never in a million years did I dream, when doing that article, that it would be revisited 31 years later in a forum like this.  Life, and our hobby, are both amazing! 

Thanks for all your kind words above, and for how you have explained your build in such detail for it to inspire us all.  Best....TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

On 3/30/2021 at 2:48 PM, tim boyd said:

Dennis....I can think of no higher honor than to have a model builder of your stature be inspired by one of my articles to have created this fine, fine piece of work.  And the fact that you used the article as  inspiration, but then added all sorts of your own touches and mods makes it all the better.

Never in a million years did I dream, when doing that article, that it would be revisited 31 years later in a forum like this.  Life, and our hobby, are both amazing! 

Thanks for all your kind words above, and for how you have explained your build in such detail for it to inspire us all.  Best....TIM 

Thanks, Tim! Glad you like what I did with my spin on the truck. I had an absolute blast creating it (except for the ridiculous amount of masking it took to get 4 different color on various surfaces of the cab alone!)  This truck project and quite a few others you did back in the day left a huge impression on me and all these years later I haven't forgotten them. Back then when I would read those articles or the show coverages and see all of the names (many that became staples for years) there was an element of disconnect as I couldn't imagine actually being able to interact with you or any of them. The Internet has a lot of negative aspects with it but certainly one big positive is being able to connect people all over the world with a common hobby  passion on forums like this. This won't be the only model I build that takes direct inspiration from your old Column and also don't forget, there's still a Sister RPU sitting on deck!

On 3/30/2021 at 3:25 AM, afx said:

I had serious doubts about the pink & purple pallet but you pulled it off Dennis!  Another great build.

Thanks, Man! I knew what I was doing, you just had to ride it out to the end to see it all come together, LOL!

On 4/1/2021 at 10:32 PM, Dennis Lacy said:

Thanks, Tim! Glad you like what I did with my spin on the truck. I had an absolute blast creating it (except for the ridiculous amount of masking it took to get 4 different color on various surfaces of the cab alone!)  This truck project and quite a few others you did back in the day left a huge impression on me and all these years later I haven't forgotten them. Back then when I would read those articles or the show coverages and see all of the names (many that became staples for years) there was an element of disconnect as I couldn't imagine actually being able to interact with you or any of them. The Internet has a lot of negative aspects with it but certainly one big positive is being able to connect people all over the world with a common hobby  passion on forums like this. This won't be the only model I build that takes direct inspiration from your old Column and also don't forget, there's still a Sister RPU sitting on deck!

Very well said Dennis. This forum is an amazing place to connect, share, and for me learn from some incredible builders around the world. The Tim Boyd tribute thread was, and still is a treat to watch. 
Beautiful job on your build, purple and pink are perfect! Thanks for sharing your build and the story behind it, very inspiring sir.

Cheers, Steve

On 4/2/2021 at 1:32 AM, Dennis Lacy said:

On 4/3/2021 at 10:52 AM, Steve H said:

Very well said Dennis. This forum is an amazing place to connect, share, and for me learn from some incredible builders around the world. The Tim Boyd tribute thread was, and still is a treat to watch. 
Beautiful job on your build, purple and pink are perfect! Thanks for sharing your build and the story behind it, very inspiring sir.

Cheers, Steve

On 3/30/2021 at 5:48 PM, tim boyd said:

There is a common respect for every modeler and has been since the mid 50's to present.  @tim boyd your column was more than an inspiration... it was an affirmation that closet modelers were not alone in their hobby!  I have the same magazine collection and wish I had kept the little mags from my youth.  What would be a great outcome from the Tribute thread, thanks to @Dennis Lacy, is to have a reference here on our forum of modeling columns by you and others. 

What do you think? Would be a great resource for model builders that don't have their own collection of old magazines or their dad's collection to poor through and gain a great wealth of information!  -KK

1977814336_KeeponTruckin.jpg.938e824263f1e5b512410465c7ef898c.jpg

2 hours ago, Kit Karson said:

@tim boyd your column was more than an inspiration... it was an affirmation that closet modelers were not alone in their hobby!  I have the same magazine collection and wish I had kept the little mags from my youth.  What would be a great outcome from the Tribute thread, thanks to @Dennis Lacy, is to have a reference here on our forum of modeling columns by you and others. 

What do you think? Would be a great resource for model builders that don't have their own collection of old magazines or their dad's collection to poor through and gain a great wealth of information!  -KK

Thanks for the kind words, Kit.    

Over the years I have had a number of modelers approach me and ask about a book that reprints all those Street Rodder Modeler's Corner columns.  Before Covid hit, I had conducted very preliminary, exploratory talks with two publishers who have used my work in the past....one was interested in talking further.   The Covid debacle pretty much took the interested publisher out of the picture, and I have yet to figure out the intellectual property issues (the original intellectual property owner, McMullen-Yee Publishing, went through at least five or six subsequent ownership changes and now to my understanding is basically a video company that also publishes three mags; yet apparently has a reputation with some publishers as being extremely difficult to deal with on these types of  issues). 

Nevertheless, I have been re-reading the entire Modeler's Corner column catalog (just over 200 monthly issues) and noting my favorites (which quickly became a three page list in small writing, and not done yet). 

As for the Scale Auto work, that one is pretty easy for anyone that has the two history of Scale Auto CD;s that recap most of the history of that mag.  You can do an author search and punch up the article titles, and easily go from there (though the most recent 5 year CD is not as easily searchable IIRC). 

Not to mention I and other authors have also done many articles on hot rod modeling for Model Cars over the history of this title.  In some ways these might be the more relevant articles for hot rod model builders.   

All this is getting around to the thought that maybe your idea - which I think you are suggesting - would be a topic list of relevant hot rod model car articles from the history of the hobby that could be run here as a continuing (bookmarked?) feature.  Many projects on the plate here but let me add that idea to the list and let it percolate a bit. 

TIM 

PS -to all readers of this thread, there is a new article on "extreme Z'ing" Model A chassis - and all the other changes you have to make to a model when doing this - in the May 2021 issue of Fine Scale which is available now.  Might be worth a look if the topic interests you...between that and Kit's new cover story article in the latest issue of Model Cars....hot rod modelers should have plenty of fresh reading material and kitbashing inspiration!  TB    

Edited by tim boyd

On 4/5/2021 at 6:58 AM, tim boyd said:

Thanks for the kind words, Kit.    

Over the years I have had a number of modelers approach me and ask about a book that reprints all those Street Rodder Modeler's Corner columns.  Before Covid hit, I had conducted very preliminary, exploratory talks with two publishers who have used my work in the past....one was interested in talking further.   The Covid debacle pretty much took the interested publisher out of the picture, and I have yet to figure out the intellectual property issues (the original intellectual property owner, McMullen-Yee Publishing, went through at least five or six subsequent ownership changes and now to my understanding is basically a video company that also publishes three mags; yet apparently has a reputation with some publishers as being extremely difficult to deal with on these types of  issues). 

Nevertheless, I have been re-reading the entire Modeler's Corner column catalog (just over 200 monthly issues) and noting my favorites (which quickly became a three page list in small writing, and not done yet). 

As for the Scale Auto work, that one is pretty easy for anyone that has the two history of Scale Auto CD;s that recap most of the history of that mag.  You can do an author search and punch up the article titles, and easily go from there (though the most recent 5 year CD is not as easily searchable IIRC). 

Not to mention I and other authors have also done many articles on hot rod modeling for Model Cars over the history of this title.  In some ways these might be the more relevant articles for hot rod model builders.   

All this is getting around to the thought that maybe your idea - which I think you are suggesting - would be a topic list of relevant hot rod model car articles from the history of the hobby that could be run here as a continuing (bookmarked?) feature.  Many projects on the plate here but let me add that idea to the list and let it percolate a bit. 

TIM 

PS -to all readers of this thread, there is a new article on "extreme Z'ing" Model A chassis - and all the other changes you have to make to a model when doing this - in the May 2021 issue of Fine Scale which is available now.  Might be worth a look if the topic interests you...between that and Kit's new cover story article in the latest issue of Model Cars....hot rod modelers should have plenty of fresh reading material and kitbashing inspiration!  TB    

@tim boyd

It would be absolutely epic to have all of the Modelers Corner columns in one book! My dad still has his entire collection of Street Rodder but it’s not very handy to have to have all those issues on hand. I hope someday that idea pans out...