Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is the amt 1950 chevy pickup being discontinued?

youpey

I found on several sites the amt 1950 chevy pickup kit has been reduced to 19.99. Tower, horizon, a couple vendors on ebay, 

Does anyone know if its being discontinued. i messed up one of these kits and haven't finished one yet.

I ordered 2 at the discount price in case it is discontinued.  Once its discontinued im sure it will go up on ebay.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/product/1-25-1950-chevy-pickup/AMT1076.html

I dont work for any of these companies or get any kick backs on sales or anything. Im asking/sharing the info on the discount. Im also not a dr and i dont play one on tv

Edited by youpey

Well, it's been 4 years since that 76 garage issue.   But there are plenty of them on eBay and other sources, easy to find.  They will probably reissue it eventually, maybe in Coke livery? 

Edit: there was a Coke version previously of the '50 Chevy, completely forgot about that one.

Edited by Rob Hall

I guess i  should have held off on buying 2.

Its a truck i knew i wanted to build and got worried i wouldn't be able to get one affordable, like the 1980 revell bronco 

Edited by youpey

1 hour ago, youpey said:

I guess i  should have held off on buying 2.

No worries, you got them on sale and now you have them for future projects. The very definition of having a stash!

0E769F07-F4FF-44E7-AB21-D04ED0FF428D.jpeg.77320a9ea6f62df877de002976fd95bb.jpeg

I had two of the glue kit and tw of the snap kit in my stash. I don’t even remember when I got them. One day I got this idea and was fortunate to have the kits in stock!

Edited by Tom Geiger

6 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

No worries, you got them on sale and now you have them for future projects. The very definition of having a stash!

I have too many kits in my stash. I am borderline hoarding at this point. :)

i have 25 kits in this room alone. Not counting my model closet and the other room. I suspect i have 75 unbuilt models. Maybe its not borderline at this point, its full on hoarding. When i look on sites to find kits in interested in, mostly i have them all. I have a lot of doubles because I like to have an extra in case of a mistake

maybe one day i will stack them all up and take a picture 

Edited by youpey

2 minutes ago, youpey said:

I have too many kits in my stash. I am borderline hoarding at this point. :) 

Just wait! I have way in excess of 1000 kits. It happens, nothing to worry about. I have the space to store them. I will buy more When I see things I like. One day there will be one heck of an estate sale!

3 hours ago, P51Mustang said:

Someone should start a new thread to show model kit hoards...

I would do it but my models are in 3 rooms and not organized in any way. Its part if the reason my wife is annoyed with me 

2 hours ago, youpey said:

I would do it but my models are in 3 rooms and not organized in any way. Its part if the reason my wife is annoyed with me 

I’m sure all of us can use some organizing. Just this week I found a Mercedes Gullwing parts kit I swear I never saw before!

Up in my model room there are maybe 100-200 random kits. All stacked against walls. 

In my basement, I have a finished room I call the warehouse. Here is the bulk of my hoard. All kept in industry 12 kit cases. These are stacked in three rows, all segregated and end flaps marked. One case will be all VW. With makes I have a lot of, there will be Mopar 1950s, 1960s etc.  I can usually find something fairly quick. 

I have between 400 to 500 kits stored in the basement on shelves. Going to start weeding them out as I have many duplicate kit thinking if I screwed one up really badly. I could build another one. But at age 66. I double I'll ever get them all done. LOL

Somewhere there is a topic called show us your stash, or something to that effect. I have around 8-900 kits in two rooms in the house, I think a majority of the folks here on average have between 500 and  1000 kits, and I’m betting that when shows and swap meets go on again, those numbers will increase exponentially..........

• 2 weeks later...

It would really make me happy if they were to reissue the Street Rod version, it's getting hard to find the front dropped axle out of it, and/or the one from the '55 street version. They're both fairly good examples of a dropped forged front axle and even though it's old school unless you're building it as a lowrider version it's still easier than putting the Camaro front clips on. Even if I did buy a half dozen of those clips from either of the '70-1/2  versions.