Model Cars Magazine Forum

Old Ford museum in Bard, Ca. (across the river from Yuma, Az.)

6 hours ago, Motor City said:

There isn't much demand for restoring Model T's, so you have to wonder what will happen to all of this stuff once he passes away.  Thanks for posting, Bill.

He can will it all to me if he likes!😎

7 hours ago, Motor City said:

There isn't much demand for restoring Model T's, so you have to wonder what will happen to all of this stuff once he passes away.  Thanks for posting, Bill.

You are right....T's are not in high demand........

But I am just starting a T 1/1 scale project and I see a small up tick in interest. Never know!

On 4/4/2021 at 6:02 PM, Dave Van said:

You are right....T's are not in high demand........

But I am just starting a T 1/1 scale project and I see a small up tick in interest. Never know!

post some pictures, Dave; I rode in the back seat of a '26 T 2-door sedan several years ago, and must say it was a fun ride!

I am in the very early stages of planning. I did go ahead and buy some Red Oak lumber that I will use like Henry did for internal body bracing. I figured that wood is not going down in price over the next year, double for good hardwoods! 

This is amazing, I would love to go see it all in person. My father and I watched the video a couple times. I've loved Model T and Model A Fords forever. My father still has a 23 that we ride around in, it's no show winner but fun to drive. I'm working on a 1:1 that I started building about 35 years ago. I started building it when I was around 12 my father had 2 school buses full of T parts and he said if you want one start building it. I got a rolling chassis put together & used an old coupe body we had. It never got finished, I moved on to "newer" 60s 70s cars and trucks and sold the old T. About 2 years later my father was at a flea market and saw a chassis for sale, we looked it over and realized it was the one I put together but someone removed the coupe body. He bought it, mounted a touring body on it and then moved from NY to TN taking it with him. He sold it down there and then about 6 or 7 years later bought it back again missing another body. They then moved back to NY taking it back again and used the engine for a tractor he was building & the frame sat for years until my father decided that we ARE going to finish this this for my daughter. Back into the garage with a different engine & on all 4 tires again. It runs but still needs some tinkering. I decided to build my own speedster body for it and that's where we're at now. I found a pic from 1985 when I sold it, and a pic of the chassis a few months ago, there is more done but I haven't taken any new pics. Oh ya, my daughter in Grandpas T. Sorry for rambling it just seemed to fit the topic.

SUNP0004.JPG

002.JPG

couple of pics 002.JPG

Edited by mchook
Wrong pic

On 4/8/2021 at 7:59 PM, Dave Van said:

I am in the very early stages of planning. I did go ahead and buy some Red Oak lumber that I will use like Henry did for internal body bracing. I figured that wood is not going down in price over the next year, double for good hardwoods! 

I think you'll find Ford used Ash, Birch, Maple and Fir in Ford bodies. I've re-wooded many early Ford bodies and have never ran across oak. Most of this wood came from Ford's own forests on the UP of Michigan.

I need to visit that museum! I grew up around Model T's & A's and still have a couple of Model A projects I need to do something with. 

Here's an '11 I built for a customer several years ago and a '24 chassis and I built and did the paint & body work on.

46603_10200698671096823_282490531_n.jpg

548913_10200698675656937_2133382486_n.jpg

960221_10206319959825528_3176409159747396873_n.jpg

1 hour ago, RSchnell said:

I think you'll find Ford used Ash, Birch, Maple and Fir in Ford bodies. I've re-wooded many early Ford bodies and have never ran across oak. Most of this wood came from Ford's own forests on the UP of Michigan.

Yep......Red Oak was looked on as a 'cheap' wood. Today it the less costly of all expensive wood!!!! I am note going for full on authentic resto.....but wanted decent wood body braces.