Model Cars Magazine Forum

Good primer?

As Steve said, Tamiya is the "weapon of choice" of many here. But it's expensive and can be hard to find. 

Lately I've been having excellent results with Touch N Tone Flat White, Flat Gray, and Flat Black as primer. This is cheap, near-generic spray paint I found in a couple local hardware stores but it works great as a primer. It might actually be the same stuff as the late, lamented Walmart Color Place flat white, gray, and black, which were also excellent primers. I hope you can find it in Canada. 

Just recently started airbrushing unthinned Stynylrez acrylic on the recommendation of another forum member. Not so sure it is really any better than the Krylon rattlecan primer I used to use but I wanted something acrylic that I could airbrush. Will continue to use it.  And in comes in several colors too.

Edited by TransAmMike

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I now use mostly Duplicolor "Primer/Sealer".

Steve

I followed your advice Steve seeing how beautiful your builds come out. But the more expensive primer. I tried the cheaper Duplicolor primer and it didn't protect the plastic as well as the more expensive one. At least with my experience. 

13 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

I followed your advice Steve seeing how beautiful your builds come out. But the more expensive primer. I tried the cheaper Duplicolor primer and it didn't protect the plastic as well as the more expensive one. At least with my experience. 

Which one are you using?

Steve

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Which one are you using?

Steve

The can that cost $11 Steve. There are other Duplicolor primers that run around $6. In the same auto parts store. but the paint burned through them.

Edited by ewetwo

5 hours ago, ewetwo said:

The can that cost $11 Steve. There are other Duplicolor primers that run around $6. In the same auto parts store. but the paint burned through them.

Apparently the same primers that I am using.

I don’t think I’ve ever spent less than $9.00 or $10.00 on a can of Duplicolor, and the price continues to rise.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

On 3/31/2021 at 4:06 PM, JollySipper said:

You can shoot DupliColor Perfect Match paints over it with no problem

That's good information. I didn't realize Rustoleum 2X primer would be safe under Duplicolor Perfect Match lacquers. 

Edited by AMT68

On 3/31/2021 at 2:10 PM, Snake45 said:

As Steve said, Tamiya is the "weapon of choice" of many here. But it's expensive and can be hard to find. 

Lately I've been having excellent results with Touch N Tone Flat White, Flat Gray, and Flat Black as primer. This is cheap, near-generic spray paint I found in a couple local hardware stores but it works great as a primer. It might actually be the same stuff as the late, lamented Walmart Color Place flat white, gray, and black, which were also excellent primers. I hope you can find it in Canada. 

Snake the walmarts in my area no longer carry the primmer so if they do in your area better get all you can