Model Cars Magazine Forum

Good primer?

1 hour ago, 69_Stingray said:

You guys are lucky, atleast you have stores colser to where you live! The closest hobby shop is about 100-150 miles from where I live......

At least I have a couple of hardware stores in my larger town where I go. 😕 

Check out any kind of cheap flat white, flat black, and flat gray rattelcans you can find. That's how I discovered both the Walmart Color Place and the Touch N Tone paints. 

18 hours ago, AMT68 said:

That's good information. I didn't realize Rustoleum 2X primer would be safe under Duplicolor Perfect Match lacquers. 

I've used it under four paint jobs so far..... haven't tried other paints over it, though, just DupliColor.....

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/31/2021 at 10:25 AM, 69_Stingray said:

As the title says. What is a good primer?

I'm looking to get in a spray can.

Boy this is a personal choice that is all over the place. And all are great in their application. Depends on what kind of paint I use. I do like the citadel primers. And I use the sem  and Kent automotive primers. All are expensive but produce great results. Like anything else it’s your skill and comfort zone. I do not like model paint for car bodies because I do not like to wait days for things to dry. But this is my thing and may not be suitable for others. I used Kent primers on this body, and things worked out well. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

6D70F3F3-D606-4478-95EE-37B558C5A566.jpeg

E7A37B42-48BE-4129-94FB-C92AE8C64BB1.jpeg

13 hours ago, Zippi said:

I use the Rust-Oleum 2X Flat Gray Primer.  I've airbrushed acrylic paint and Testor enamel paint of it with no problems.   It lays down nice and smooth and drys quick.   

1966 Chevy Nova.jpg

Have you tried to spray automotive spray paint over it or speciality paint like gravity colors?

On 4/2/2021 at 6:27 AM, El Roberto said:

I bought a spray can of Mr Hobby surface primer 1000 at Hobby Lobby the other day and I really like it.  It might be better than the Tamiya, covers better and levels out beautifully when dry. Also seems to be tougher. 

If you liked the 1000, you should get a can of their 1200 or 1500.

Mr Surfacers work like,  500 is thick and coarse, its for doing light filling ,  1000 would more like a general use primer, 1200&1500 are for when you are ready for the color coat, and they go on very smooth, 1500 is about as smooth as glass out of the can.

21 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

If you liked the 1000, you should get a can of their 1200 or 1500.

Mr Surfacers work like,  500 is thick and coarse, its for doing light filling ,  1000 would more like a general use primer, 1200&1500 are for when you are ready for the color coat, and they go on very smooth, 1500 is about as smooth as glass out of the can.

Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately HL only carries the 1000, I'll have to look at my local hobby shop. 

On 3/31/2021 at 4:06 PM, JollySipper said:

I've been getting really good results with this primer, I get it at WalMart.....

602600342_primertest002.JPG.20b4fff27d2456d50d897517014aa161.JPG

You can shoot DupliColor Perfect Match paints over it with no problem, and it dries super slick provided you spray it slick. It's what I primed this Porsche with.......

353051031_p959painted002.JPG.b235513d90309b443704a2cf52823ddb.JPG

Yup. I use that too. They also have it in white primer too.