Model Cars Magazine Forum

Galloping Ghost ll Dragster; is Round 2 planning to reissue in the future?

GMP440

I read on FB that Round 2 is planning on releasing the MPC Galloping Ghost ll kit.  Is there any truth to this?  Anyone read or hear anything about it?  Has anyone built this kit back in the day?

Galloping Ghost.jpg

Edited by GMP440

I built this one around 1969, though obviously not as the GG. I think I might still have the cutoff body pieces and original decals somewhere in the Snakepit, but wouldn't swear to it in a court of law. 

It's filthy with dust and in need of a good cleaning and restoration. It's the only rail I've ever built. 

Aafd2.JPG.41e1518738326ac56fd4b7680ce4aa48.JPG

AAFD1.JPG.37f04bf3f67119376030ede40205ce09.JPG

I wouldn't bet on seeing it soon, as they just reissued the Ramchargers dragster which uses the same chassis.  Round 2 has sometimes released multiple versions of one tool at one time, but those have been color variations like the Prudhomme and McEwen dragsters.  Same tool configuration, just different color plastic flowing into the tool, different box/decal sheet in each version.

I can't find my GG kit, but as I recall the rear portion of the body is split vertically down the center.  If that is the case, you may want to assemble it and cut it apart in different places to make painting easier.

Edited by Mark
Spelling

It's been on their reissue consideration list for several years.  Would be cool to see a reissue, and I bet this time the decals would do a better job of replicating the real car. 

No current insider info from me this one, guys, but personally I would give this rumor a higher degree of credibility than most we hear these days....TIM  

I would totally get one if they reissue it. The Galloping Ghost II is pretty rare these days. I seriously hope they do reissue it. Another one I've been waiting for is a repop of the 1968 Hemi Under Glass. It was turned into 1969 issue. The chassis parts are available in the L.A. Dart/Hemi Hunter kit, and the body is also in the 1969 Barracuda kit. All they have to do is repop the Hilborn injection and Hurst Wheels. I wonder what happened to the parts from the Galloping Ghost kit. Are those still around? 

20 minutes ago, 250 Testa Rossa said:

Another one I've been waiting for is a repop of the 1968 Hemi Under Glass. It was turned into 1969 issue. The chassis parts are available in the L.A. Dart/Hemi Hunter kit, and the body is also in the 1969 Barracuda kit. All they have to do is repop the Hilborn injection and Hurst Wheels. 

Much, much more than that.  The Dart has the engine behind the rear wheels, the Barracuda has it behind the driver.  The engine and drive train parts are nearly all different including the block.  Even the roll cage was altered.

That said, the Hemi Under Glass was issued by MPC as both 1968 and 1969 versions.  If Round 2 were to tool the parts to bring it back, it would most likely be as the 1969 version.

Just now, Mark said:

Much, much more than that.  The Dart has the engine behind the rear wheels, the Barracuda has it behind the driver.  The engine and drive train parts are nearly all different including the block.  Even the roll cage was altered.

That said, the Hemi Under Glass was issued by MPC as both 1968 and 1969 versions.  If Round 2 were to tool the parts to bring it back, it would most likely be as the 1969 version.

Possibly. 

Chrome tree is Ramchargers. I forget frame but they share chassis? I thought GG2 was longer. 
I don’t know fe rails well. Only started collecting them in last 15y or so. Only reissues. Bought built Ramchargers and there it went. Love to get this. 

15 minutes ago, keyser said:

Chrome tree is Ramchargers. I forget frame but they share chassis? I thought GG2 was longer. 
I don’t know fe rails well. Only started collecting them in last 15y or so. Only reissues. Bought built Ramchargers and there it went. Love to get this. 

According to Tim Boyd's book, IIRC, the GG was a derivative kit of the Ramchargers with a new body. (Just read that passage last week.) 

Hi Guido, I have the Ramchargers, Garlits Wynns Charger and young American kits, all built, and have the remaining frame from my childhoods Galloping Ghost 2 and I can assure you that it is indeed based on the Ramchargers kit with  different body panels.

Cheers

Alan

10 hours ago, keyser said:

GG2 is a longer wheelbase car, more like the Young American or Ivo car, and GG1 is this car. Why MPC kept using early version cars with second version decals is beyond me. 

8 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

GG2 is a longer wheelbase car, more like the Young American or Ivo car, and GG1 is this car. Why MPC kept using early version cars with second version decals is beyond me. 

I thought so. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Mr mopar said:

Here's is a photo of GG1 & GG2  and the big differences.

7269219036_c50d5216bb_h.jpg

Have never seen that pic. GG1 I like better. Smooth CC is killer too. Thx 👍🏼

11 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Why MPC kept using early version cars with second version decals is beyond me. 

They probably designed the kit before II was built, and just stuck the II graphics on the existing kit.  

Revell did the same with the old tool Stone, Woods, & Cook Willys kit.  The kit is modeled on the car when it had the steel front clip and Everflex exhaust tubing grille, but the lettering matches the revised car with the fiberglass front end and '58 Ford grille mesh.  The photo of the car on the box is doctored to match the contents of the box.  The same, or a very similar, photo of that car appeared in Rod & Custom coverage of a drag meet, with no change.

1 hour ago, Mr mopar said:

Both cars are non canopy cars, where the MPC model on GG2 has a canopy !

The canopy was probably a "car show only" deal.

16 hours ago, alan barton said:

Hi Guido, I have the Ramchargers, Garlits Wynns Charger and young American kits, all built, and have the remaining frame from my childhoods Galloping Ghost 2 and I can assure you that it is indeed based on the Ramchargers kit with  different body panels.

Cheers

Alan

As Alan says, and as covered in my book, the MPC Galloping Ghost kit was a spinoff of the original MPC Ramchargers kit.  The contents of most of the two kits were identical except for the body panels and livery.  

Also as covered in the book, MPC played fast and loose with drag racing replica kits and liveries.  That including using last year's drag racing lettering/paint schemes on their decal sheets and (occasionally) box art for their following year's annual kits.   

Most kit buyers didn't catch on back in the day but us drag racing rock dogs knew many MPC Drag Racing kits were incorrect to various degrees.    

TIM