Model Cars Magazine Forum

Galloping Ghost ll Dragster; is Round 2 planning to reissue in the future?

GMP440

2 hours ago, Reegs said:

"The contents of most of the two kits were identical except for the body panels and livery." 

And no roll bar.

Huh. Was it still included in the kit, but just not used with the GG body panels? I don't remember scratchbuilding a roll bar for mine, but maybe I did. I'll have to dig it out and see if I can figure it out. :unsure:

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Huh. Was it still included in the kit, but just not used with the GG body panels? I don't remember scratchbuilding a roll bar for mine, but maybe I did. I'll have to dig it out and see if I can figure it out. :unsure:

And I'll dig out my kit and see.....TIM 

I remember attempting to bend a roll bar for the build. It's not pictured in Daddyfink's parts layout and it's not in the instructions (which I saw recently but I'm dipped if I can remember where).

Edited by Reegs

I found my GG kit (in a different box; at first I thought I had the original box).  The roll bar is not shown in the instructions.  The 1:1 bar would have been tight to the inside of the body, maybe the Ramchargers kit piece was oversize and wouldn't have fit within the GG body.  With the clear canopy in place, it wouldn't be seen anyway.

MPC's show rod and drag car kits usually approximated the look of the 1:1 cars, but were often "off" in many ways.  Sometimes they doctored the box art photos, to change the wheels on a funny car or add windshield wipers to a Pro Stocker.  When they used an illustration instead of a photo, you could count on the kit to be WAY off.

I finally pulled my kit out yesterday for a look. 

The non-plated styrene parts were sealed and didn't want to break that seal, but I was able to see that the seat unit included  engraved upholstery panels that extended into the canopy area on either side of the driver, instead of stopping at the upper frame rail as on most AA/FD rails. 

I don't have a picture of the 1/1, but my conjecture is that the roll bar would have been partially concealed by the upholstery, thereby explaining why there was not a roll bar part in the kit itself.  The applicable parts are shown in the instructions if someone wants to post those images....

Plus, as Mark said, MPC didn't always sweat the details on their drag racing kits....

Still, I am very much looking forward to this reissue, warts and all!  

Cheers...TIM 

• 2 years later...

It is amazing that they have changed the paint scheme since my father drove the car. And yes, the car was designed with a canopy but would not go down the track. It was very unstable enclosed.  The sign behind the cars in the museum has even been changed and my father's name has been removed. In 1969 my father drove the car at the AHRA National Championship at New York Citys International Speedway. Where he one 7 of 8 races and the championship. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/12/2021 at 10:51 AM, Mr mopar said:

Both cars are non canopy cars, where the MPC model on GG2 has a canopy !

It is amazing that they have changed the paint scheme since my father drove the car. And yes, the car was designed with a canopy but would not go down the track. It was very unstable enclosed.  The sign behind the cars in the museum has even been changed and my father's name has been removed. In 1969 my father drove the car at the AHRA National Championship at New York Citys International Speedway. Where he one 7 of 8 races and the championship. 

16 hours ago, tbryan61 said:

do you any good photo's of it ,back in the day ?