Model Cars Magazine Forum

Buick Skylark 1965

Reuhkapelti2

I couldn't find a kit of '65 Buick Skylark 2d, so I took a '64 Pontiac GTO 1:24 Revell kit and started to make some changes. 

New side panels, new front bumper, modifications to the hood... still a lot of work, but that is the thing I like in this hobby. 

Under the flipping hood will sit a SBC, 400 cid as the real car has. This will be a model of a 1:1 car in Finland. 

IMG_20210329_190630.jpg

IMG_20210330_200357.jpg

IMG_20210401_174035.jpg

IMG_20210402_125332.jpg

Awesome job on that!  The body is looking great.  I had a '65 Skylark Gran Sport, with the 401 nailhead, in my senior year of high school.  I've always wanted to build a model of it.  I would love to see more details about the body modifications you make.

Edited by Kromolly

Very cool, will follow this with MUCH interest, as I have been planning for a similar project although I had thought about basing mine on a 65 Chevelle just because I have an extra. I have reference photos and some measurements from a junker I have amassed. Too many other projects ahead of this one! PM me if my references can be of help to you.

The Buicks are greatly under-appreciated in the collector market, IMHO.

Thanks everybody, and Bisc63, thanks for the offer. I have some good photos of the real car by the present owner, and I found a short video clip. It was shot when the car was raced in the quarter mile track too. 

I have fought with the front end hours and hours. Buick has some interesting shapes on the bumper and the hood, that are quite different from Olds. 

'65 Chevelle could have been a bit easier starting body shell for this transformation to Buick, but all I could find were Chevelle Wagon kits for a big pile of money. 

Now I have a functional flip hood. The wheels sit where I want them to be. Nothing special in the chassis, just some small adjusting. 

Next I need to locate a decent 400cid SBC engine. 

IMG_20210406_092139.jpg

IMG_20210406_092200.jpg

IMG_20210406_092237.jpg

Edited by Reuhkapelti2

Thanks thomascoffey! 

Today I sprayed the first primer on the body, to see all the dents and scratches. Not too bad, needs some slight bondo here and there, but nothing major hickups. 

I put some heavily padded front seats in, the real car has seats from BMW 325, so those will do fine. All the interior will be black anyways. 

My big task will be the rear light combo, red light panel all the way corner to corner, and tight curves at the ends of it. I have a jar of Tamiya Clear red X27, that can be useful. 

Also I need to patch that fire wall, big holes were exposed when getting the hood and fenders to tilt up together. 

IMG_20210409_114111.jpg

IMG_20210409_114209.jpg

IMG_20210409_114136.jpg

IMG_20210409_115806.jpg

Yep the back end was modified with various narrow strings of Evergeen plastic, first one was flat then I glued maybe 4 or 5 thin strings where needed to get the shape of the deck lid look good enough. Very little bondo on top of them. Some filing was needed to the corners of the back end too. Also the bumper needed some small bits of plastic around the license plate hole. The deck lid was also carved where needed. I still wonder how to make the tail lights. 

Today I went to my spray booth and choose another silver, the first one was too bright. This has more gray in it, and when it was dry, I took the new can of metallic red, sprayed it and oh boy... it's too dark. I chose it from the paint tone slips or what you call it, well it looked ok there but not now. Respray is needed with a brighter tone. 

IMG_20210410_180018.jpg

IMG_20210410_205009.jpg

IMG_20210409_115806.jpg

Edited by Reuhkapelti2

Great duo of Buicks, Chris. 

Today I went and got a new paint , this time it's more orange. Good enough. I put also clear laquer on it. There will be two narrow lines between those upper and lower tones, atleast I'll try to paint them. The mask will be black, and the bumpers will have Molotow chrome on them. 

IMG_20210412_193721.jpg