Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Cadillac

It is one of many ex-Revell kits, the tooling for them was acquired by Atlantis from the "new" Germany based Revell company.  It dates back to 1957: unorthodox assembly and parts breakdown, plastic tires, no engine detail, but does have plated trim pieces and clear glass (not all Revell kits had clear parts then).  Shape and proportions are generally accurate, the exception being the area forward of the front wheels.

I'm looking at plumbing in the drivetrain, wheels/tires, and whatever else I can use from the Foose kit.  I'm still scrounging a junk builtup to cut up, to fix the front of the body.  Don't want to chop another unbuilt kit, don't want to buy anything and have it shipped, the cost will be higher than the junker.  I'll scrounge one at a show, when those get going again.

As an automotive artist, I have to say that the drawing is definitely off on this one. The rear doors are short. The far side seems low to the ground like they are sitting on flat tires too. I understand perspective but these are just bad. I think the same artist did the little Chevy stake truck as well with the wrong body style cab. I might just draw up these cars and send them to Atlantis.

This is the old Revell '57 Brougham with a new different box art. Just a new edition. Model is NOT accurate. Not accurate means NOT accurate with real car proportions. If anyone looks for "Jo-Han-ish" accuracy of proportions, don't buy. It's not bashing Revell to point it out, but there's nothing accurate in this kit. Sorry. Overall body is off,  front and rear bumpers, roof shape, fins shape, rear arch wheel shape are wrong...Even the door handles position is wrong. The builder of the kit on the picture did a great job and it is not to criticize somebody's skills. Purpose of this side by side images is just for comparison with the real Cadillac.

Revell.jpg

3 hours ago, Jeffcad said:

This is the old Revell '57 Brougham with a new different box art. Just a new edition. Model is NOT accurate. Not accurate means NOT accurate with real car proportions. If anyone looks for "Jo-Han-ish" accuracy of proportions, don't buy. It's not bashing Revell to point it out, but there's nothing accurate in this kit. Sorry. Overall body is off,  front and rear bumpers, roof shape, fins shape, rear arch wheel shape are wrong...Even the door handles position is wrong. The builder of the kit on the picture did a great job and it is not to criticize somebody's skills. Purpose of this side by side images is just for comparison with the real Cadillac.

Revell.jpg

I wonder if this kit was originally planned as a 1/32 scale and then it got upsized to 1/25th for some reason.

15 hours ago, Jeffcad said:

Revell.jpg

Sigh..........what could have been. :(

I actually tried to "correct" this model many years ago, but my attempts were less than successful. Too bad NO ONE's ever seen fit to kit this car correctly in 1/24-1/25 scale. Not only is it rare, but IMO it's one of the nicer looking cars of the '50's and certainly one of the rarest.

I might take another swing at this some day as the kit at least has the basic "bones" to make something out of it. I have a forlorn/beat-up Franklin Mint diecast (that one's not quite correct either)........maybe like I did with the '55 Ford WIP, combine the two somehow and once again try my hand at correcting this beast.

The ARII/IMEX kits have their share of issues.  The chassis and mechanicals seem very close to the Revell 1959 in size, at 1:25.  The body, bumpers, windshields, interior, etc., however are way, way too wide.  Note these kits represent the regular Cadillac Eldorado models.  The old Revell kit in question represented a premium Cadillac, handbuilt.  These were unrelated to the regular production models except for the chassis.

Period promo info regarding the '57 Eldorado Brougham:

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Cadillac/1957_Cadillac/1957_Cadillac_Eldorado_Brougham_Press_Release/dirindex.html.

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Cadillac/1957_Cadillac/1957 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham Salesmen's Data Book/index1.html

Edited by Brian Austin

On 4/4/2021 at 1:50 PM, Mike 1017 said:

Any info on these ARII - IMEX . It would be a  nice collection to build convertible, 2 door, and the 4 door. 

See the source image00

To my knowledge there is no 4 door version to this kit.  It comes as a Convertible with no up top, a Convertible with an up top (which also has the boot) and as a "hard top" which is separate from the body (and also has the Convertible boot).  All three were just reissued back in February, so they should be easier to find right now.

Yeah, it's a shame the ARII/IMEX kits are so far off.  Jo-Han's '58 Cadillacs are also "off" in proportion as well.  It might be mentioned elsewhere in this forum, but these kits were copied and issued under the LEE brand.  Detail is said to be somewhat more soft.  According to Scalemates, these kits were reissued by Heller.  These kits do seem to get around.  FWIW, Danbury Mint did a '57 Eldorado Biarritz in 1:24.  For their price I hope they're better in proportion!  :-)

Scroll down this page for an idea or two for finishing your own Revell Cadillac Eldorado Brougham.

For instance, someone kitbashed one into the Town Car concept car.

https://www.newcadillacdatabase.org/static/CDB/Dbas_txt/photoy57.htm

Quite the interesting story..Have a friend who is on this site that built a mild custom of the Eldorado mentioned..Very nicely done Dennis Ezmerlian...When I tried to click off the site and finally did my computer was frozen for about 10 minutes..Was able to read story though..