Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Plymouth Barracuda

mrmike

15 minutes ago, mrmike said:

The chassis is perhaps the biggest letdown of this kit!  Molded all wrong with the rear axle and the exhaust system and soft features.  I can understand why other builders are using the AMT '71 Duster chassis or the Revell '68 Dart chassis instead.

Not too late! The Duster chassis is wonderful under any A body! And the engine bay can be easily cut from the body and added to your Barracuda! Go for it!

23 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Not too late! The Duster chassis is wonderful under any A body! And the engine bay can be easily cut from the body and added to your Barracuda! Go for it!

As I said in a previous post, I can't afford to go out and buy another kit just for the chassis.  To me, that is just ridiculous and a total waste of time, money and effort.  I am using the kit chassis and it is assembled and looking decent.   

Thanks Bill!  I have always liked the '68 Barracuda more than the '69 Barracuda.  I never cared for the peaked hood and grille panel.

Edited by mrmike

I went back and used watered down Elmers Glue and the embossing powder stuck to it better than Mod Podge.  I primered the body and body parts this afternoon and I found that I need to do more sanding and filling on the nose piece.  I was anxious to see some paint on the Barracuda and I painted and detailed the taillight piece.  Not bad!

More Barracuda to come...

Barracuda25.JPG

Barracuda26.JPG

Barracuda27.JPG

Thanks Dann!

I painted the Barracuda this afternoon with Model Master Bright Calypso Metallic Lacquer.  I have to admit that the color looks pretty good!  This is almost a perfect match to my '65 Coronet convertible that I plant on building someday.

Barracuda28.JPG

Barracuda29.JPG

Barracuda30.JPG

Thanks John!  I hate to disappoint you, but the engine has been painted Hemi Orange instead of Chrysler Turquoise.  The 383 engine is a high performance engine and we all know that those would most likely be painted Hemi Orange.  This car would be a rebuilt car with parts coming from other Chrysler automobiles and from Chrysler themselves.  It's going to be different, that's for sure!  

Thanks John, John and Carl!

13 hours ago, ModelcarJR said:

Looks great so far, MrMike! But your paint stands have way too little paint build-up on them! 😎😁

You should have seen them before I cleaned them up!  They were nasty!!!

I started on the body by adding the side markers.  I used 4 shirt pins inserted into holes that I drilled with my pin vise and a small drill bit the size of the pin shaft.  I painted the lenses with an amber and a red Sharpie.  And, I couldn't resist a mockup!

Barracuda31.JPG

Barracuda32.JPG

Barracuda33.JPG

I kept looking at my side markers and I felt that they could be more.  Last night, I sliced 8 styrene rings from a 3/32 inch tube.  I only needed 4, but sliced 8 just in case I would loose one or more.  This morning I painted them with Model Master Aluminium Metalizer and then I attached them to the side marker pin heads I had previously made.  I need to go back and touchup the side marker with some Tamiya Clear Orange and Clear Red. 

I am not 100% happy with them as they do stand out from the body quite a bit.    

Barracuda34.JPG

Barracuda35.JPG

Barracuda36.JPG

With the tubes glued to the pinheads, I sanded them down, applied some Molotow Liquid Chrome and Tamiya Clear Orange and Clear Red paint.  Now, they are closer to the body and son't look as bad as they did before.

Barracuda37.JPG

Barracuda38.JPG

Barracuda39.JPG

I started foiling this afternoon.  I started with the hardest areas to foil.  The wheelwells, rocker panels and the rear taillight.  The wheelwells alone took me almost an hour to do.

For some reason, I keep hearing Heart and their song, Barracuda in my mind! lol

Barracuda40.JPG

Barracuda41.JPG

Barracuda42.JPG

I got the Barracuda into 3 coats of Testors Ultra Gloss Clearcoat this morning.  And, the underside of the Barracuda hood got a coating of Model Master Bright Calypso Metallic.

Barracuda46.JPG

Barracuda47.JPG

Barracuda48.JPG

It's getting there!  I started adding the valances and bumpers.  So far the rear is done and the front is being worked on.  If there is a reason why I don't like old AMT/MPC kits, this is one of them!  I have been stressing for hours on the grille and front valance since they don't want to fit correctly!

Barracuda49.JPG

Barracuda50.JPG

Barracuda51.JPG