Model Cars Magazine Forum

How does one paint/highlight badge scripts?

One thing that always lets down my builds is the script badging on the bodywork. They're so small I find it impossible to paint them to a tidy standard. I have seen one method where foil is laid under the paint and then removed with a tooth pick using thinners, I tried it and doesn't work for me. First time the foil turned black and kept staining the surrounding paint, and the other time I removed too much paint leaving the entire square foil patch visible. Is there an easy way around this or is it just one of those jobs that every builder dreads?

21 minutes ago, RichCostello said:

I like to use a metallic silver gel pen, works pretty good.

My knowledge on arts and crafts is limited, I bought a gel pen on ebay but was basically a ball point pen. Another silver pen I picked up in the market had a fine felt tip but again the ink wouldn't stay on, it was like water.

2 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I either use the foil-under-paint method, or dry-brush silver paint. Got a couple of these jobs to do even as we speak, in fact. 

I have had some success with that method but found it's so thinly laid on it comes off with the slightest touch. 

3 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

The best way to do the foil method is to simply use a polishing pad to remove the paint. I have used 2000 grit also. Just have to sand carefully. 

Yeah, I have a feeling the only way do this is foil under the paint and just learn how to remove the paint, but at the same time not too much! I haven't tried any sandpapers yet so might give that a try next time.

To me this actually may be one of the most dreaded steps (tho there certainly others) in modelling cars. I've been reluctant to do the foil under method for fear of messing up the paint job. So far, the dry brush method has worked pretty good. Notice, I said pretty good.

The first time I tried the foil under paint for fine script I was puzzled about how to concentrate an abrasive on such a small area. Then I found in my pencil cup an old eraser “pencil” the kind used by draftsmen back in the day before CAD took over for blueprint drawing. Was able to shape it down to a point fine enough to just rub the paint off the high areas of the script! The abrasive in them are perfect for removal of paint because I think they were designed to remove ink on paper. The one I got I’ve had since my apprentice days many moons ago! A light touch is all you need to remove paint, then a buff with a soft clean cloth.

1 hour ago, JohnU said:

The first time I tried the foil under paint for fine script I was puzzled about how to concentrate an abrasive on such a small area. Then I found in my pencil cup an old eraser “pencil” the kind used by draftsmen back in the day before CAD took over for blueprint drawing. Was able to shape it down to a point fine enough to just rub the paint off the high areas of the script! The abrasive in them are perfect for removal of paint because I think they were designed to remove ink on paper. The one I got I’ve had since my apprentice days many moons ago! A light touch is all you need to remove paint, then a buff with a soft clean cloth.

ah, rubber ink erasers! I didn't think of using those. I remember I had one in school, they worked.. by rubbing a hole in the paper! Might work on paint though. Thanks, John, I'll give that a try next time.

1 hour ago, gtx6970 said:

foil under paint.

I use those real small Tamiya pointed swabs dipped in laquer thinner to remove the paint

Yes, that's the method I used the last couple times but it removed too much paint. Might be the paint I'm using because I really have to scrub hard with the thinners to remove the paint but in doing so it removes paint from around the script also.

5 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

I have had some success with that method but found it's so thinly laid on it comes off with the slightest touch. 

Pentel "Sunburst" Metallic, medium point. Bought it at Hobby Lobby(I think), and yes it's a ball point. It also works good on interior trim and dashes. Chris(HPI GUY) uses one all the time.

I quoted the wrong post, but you get the idea.

Edited by RichCostello

2 minutes ago, RichCostello said:

Pentel "Sunburst" Metallic, medium point. Bought it at Hobby Lobby(I think), and yes it's a ball point. It also works good on interior trim and dashes. Chris(HPI GUY) uses one all the time.

Yes, ball point gel pens is what I bought but it didn't work on the smooth surface of the paint. I've seen many people use gel pens and they seem to work great but for some reason they just don't work for me. Maybe there's stricter chemical laws here than the States, many once good products have been watered down here over the last twenty years.

I have a 1mm Molotow but the tip can get too loaded with chrome sometimes and is a nightmare to remove off the paint. Even the 1mm tip is too big for some script badging. Dragging the side of the tip along the script sometimes works but it depends on how prominent the script is. 

13 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Yes, that's the method I used the last couple times but it removed too much paint. Might be the paint I'm using because I really have to scrub hard with the thinners to remove the paint but in doing so it removes paint from around the script also.

Ive done this method using both air brush and rattle can paints.

Key is VERY light touch with the swab.

Best to use it under a lighted magnifier

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys, I really appreciate it. It seems foil under paint is the way to go, I just need to work on the technique of removing it afterwards and using the right products and tools. I'll try all that's been suggested here on my next build and see what works. I'll post an update here of the result.

When I rehabbed this glue bomb '68 Vette, I foiled the bare plastic, then laid down one coat of black primer, two coats of the metallic orange, and two or three coats of Wet Look Clear. Then I wet-sanded the clear with 3M #1000 Wetordry. Over the emblems, I stopped sanding when I hit the primer coat. Then I polished out the clear as normal, and the black primer went away at the same time. 

Revell68VetteHT25.jpg.8ec16dc871f9a7b3af72f15641a1edd9.jpg

For the foiled gas cap emblem, before paint, I masked it with a spot of white glue applied with a toothpick. This was easily removed after painting. 

Revell68VetteHT24.jpg.cd0a2dc79a6278c3ab4d5a01b25e35f0.jpg

ok, decided on my next project to try this on, the '64 Belvedere. The script badges are incredibly small so I had to use regular kitchen foil which is much thinner than the chrome ducting tape I usually use for trim. Even this doesn't really settle into the raised writing that well. I think after a few coats of paint it's just going to look like a raised lump of silver!

20210406_184101.JPG