Model Cars Magazine Forum

How does one paint/highlight badge scripts?

It might help to start at one end of the script and work towards the other end with the burnishing, instead of stretching the foil across the entire script first. Stretching it might create too much tension in the foil, and cause it to crack when you try to burnish it into the recesses of the script.

I give the car about three coats of paint, I haven't put lacquer on as it'll polish up ok. The rear panel came out better than the front fenders which are pretty much unreadable, but they look far better than the blobs of Molotow I usually end up doing! After the paint had dried, and cured for at least a few days, I carefully rubbed over the script with 1000 grit and then polished over the whole fender with Autoglym polish.

20210409_223742.JPG

20210409_223440.JPG

It's not too bad for my first effort, well, I did try fup on my '62 Electra a few months back but it was a disaster. It turned black and eventually rubbed it clean off! I know what not to do now at least. Loads of recommendations here I'll be trying, thanks guys. I just need to practice some more and find which tools and method I'm most comfortable with. The fenders not coming out too good on this one is I think because I primed first, then laid the foil down, then removed the foil and primer (as recommended due to the primer filling in the small crevices of the script) which lead to lightly wearing down the script from all the cleaning. The rear light panel is almost perfect, though my camera doesn't show it too well. Regarding the rear light panel, I foiled over bare styrene, primer was then laid and later carefully removed from script before three coats of paint. After a few days, I lightly rubbed the paint off using (an extremely small piece!) of 1000 grit and then polish. As Snake mentioned it could do with some more polishing, but I'm worried it'll start turning black if I rub the script any more. Still lots to learn and I'm pretty chuffed with the results, so definitely on the right track here!

Edited by doorsovdoon

Gareth,

Your script turned out pretty good.  I'm just now resarching this method and found a lot of vidos on the BMF method but nothing on appliing it over script. I can barely make out the script on my amt 1967 Chevelle Pro Street so I know there is no way I can cut the foil around each letter. Can you explain a little more on how you applied the BMF and just how you cut it off the script?

20210411_114546.jpg.7fa3a4ed1ad89b8d4d51dd51c01a8f4f.jpg

1 hour ago, Zippi said:

I know there is no way I can cut the foil around each letter. Can you explain a little more on how you applied the BMF and just how you cut it off the script?

Apply the foil and cut it to the general outline/perimeter of the emblem as close as you can. Then apply your primer and paint. The primer and paint will hide the edges of the foil. This is a bit cruder than Steve G's method, but most of us are nowhere near as skilled as he is, or as experienced with foil. As you can see from my '68 Vette above, it works fine. (One piece of foil was applied around the whole word CORVETTE, I made no attempt to cut it out around/between the letters.) 

3 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Apply the foil and cut it to the general outline/perimeter of the emblem as close as you can. Then apply your primer and paint. The primer and paint will hide the edges of the foil. This is a bit cruder than Steve G's method, but most of us are nowhere near as skilled as he is, or as experienced with foil. As you can see from my '68 Vette above, it works fine. (One piece of foil was applied around the whole word CORVETTE, I made no attempt to cut it out around/between the letters.) 

Great info.  Not sure If I will try this on my current build as I'm just a rookie but I will get around to trying this out.  

20 minutes ago, Zippi said:

Great info.  Not sure If I will try this on my current build as I'm just a rookie but I will get around to trying this out.  

It may take a couple tries to learn the ropes of this technique, but it really is easy. Try it on a scrap body. Steve Guthmiller did a tutorial on the subject, but I can't seem to find it right now.

On 4/12/2021 at 12:56 PM, Zippi said:

Gareth,

Your script turned out pretty good.  I'm just now resarching this method and found a lot of vidos on the BMF method but nothing on appliing it over script. I can barely make out the script on my amt 1967 Chevelle Pro Street so I know there is no way I can cut the foil around each letter. Can you explain a little more on how you applied the BMF and just how you cut it off the script?

I just placed a square piece of foil over the script, pressed it in, then trimmed the foil some more to remove the excess. The paint will cover the outline of the foil edge. This crude sketch I did might explain it better than I can type it! Lol

DSC00186.JPG

6 minutes ago, doorsovdoon said:

I just placed a square piece of foil over the script, pressed it in, then trimmed the foil some more to remove the excess. The paint will cover the outline of the foil edge. This crude sketch I did might explain it better than I can type it! Lol

DSC00186.JPG

Gotta ya dude.  Thanks.  

2 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

DSC00186.JPG

That’s exactly how I do it. 
just trim as close to the script as possible.

Steve