Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tube cutter

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I just roll the tubing under the blade of an Xacto knife. You'll be amazed at how fast and easy it cuts through. 

Like it! don't even need the sharpest blade - Works great on brass, should be awesome on aluminum

1 hour ago, Jon Haigwood said:

I use both ,the cutter and the Xacto  knife  When I cut a a short piece from small tube I put a piece of wire (or something similar) into the tube so when it cuts thru the small piece won't go flying into  the Twilight zone.

That is an excellent idea.  I don't have the tube cutter mentioned earlier.  I use the knife method for small diameter tubes, and miter box with fine-toothed razor saw for larger diameter tubing.  The tubing cutter will not work on very small tubing (I often cut 1/32 or smaller brass tubing).  For small stainless steel hypodermic tubing I use a  cutoff wheel in a Dremel.

I have had one of those mini tubing cutters for years. I believe that it  came from an auto parts store and was billed as a cutter for steel brake lines. I usually use the knife method to cut aluminum tubing though.

I mostly use the mitre box. My first saw was an Exacto, then I found this Huron (top) on clearance at Michaels. It has even finer teeth than the Exacto and is really good on thin wall stuff.

DC65B50C-DAE0-44F2-8A87-148CC559AC3E.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG