Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let's see your '53 to '56 Ford F-100 Pickups

In my April Fools Foose Pickup post I wrote about a fictitious 53-56 Ford F-100 display at the Petersen Museum. If true that would be an incredible exhibit to see as there have been so many great looking 53-56 F-100s built over the years. I also know that there have been many great looking models of 53-56 F-100 built by members of this forum so let’s see what you got.

Here are my two. The yellow ’56 was built from the Roth kit and converted to a big back window as the tow vehicle for Allen Grant’s 289 Cobra. The left-over decals were finally used to Overhaul the Foose Pickup. I checked my stash and I currently have two 53-56 F-100 kits – the 1/24 Revell ‘55 with the 5.0 Liter FI engine and the AMT ’53 with a car trailer and lots of other cool parts. I had the Revell ’56 when it first came out in the early 1960’s. My skills at the time were certainly not as advanced as the kit and I found it a struggle to build. I seem to remember it having chrome reverse wheels that were to be mounted on plastic pins which I broke. That kit never got finished.

2vMyQj9yximYT.jpg2vMyQ8NNximYT.jpg2v2avJUPJximYT.jpg

15 minutes ago, youpey said:

on the ed roth yellow kit, did you glue the doors. I have been researching this kit and it seems like the opening doors are a problem. they look great by the way

Yes I did glue the doors and those doors were another reason I never finished the '56 as a kid when it first came out.

6 minutes ago, Phildaupho said:

Yes I did glue the doors and those doors were another reason I never finished the '56 as a kid when it first came out.

is the foose kit a lot better? is there anyway to make the foose look stock?  For example, the grill on the foose, would the one from the roth fit into the foose? 

1 hour ago, youpey said:

is the foose kit a lot better? is there anyway to make the foose look stock?  For example, the grill on the foose, would the one from the roth fit into the foose? 

The Foose truck is modified from stock in many subtle ways which would difficult to reverse. 

A couple of years ago I did this AMT '53 as a curbside so no engine or chassis detail. Quite a few external mods though such as moving the front wheel openings forward 4.5 scale inches, molding the front roll pan and bumper delete, smoothing the stock grill and modifying it to take separate headlight reflectors, grafted 6 rows of louvers into the hood, scraped off the molded windshield wipers and installed separate chrome wipers, made a flush fit bed cover, molded in the kits rear rolled pan and grafted 1948 Ford taillights into the rear fenders. Resin tuck & roll interior set from Drag City Casting and a 1950 Ford steering wheel. Wheels and side pipes from AMT's 1936 Ford Coupe/Roadster with their double stripe Parts Pack tires & slicks.

1574659209224-vi.jpg

1574658721371-vi.jpg

1574658747815-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are mine - all built in the 80's:

1: amt's '53 as a junker:

P1020653.JPG.53da6923f042f533c83d7464bf6b3b9b.JPG

2. amt's 53 as a late '50s custom PU (installing lots of those ugly custom parts...):

P1040056.JPG.689bd86355fec03f30694ddd45c2bf76.JPG

3) Monogram's '55 - straight out of the box:

P1030429.JPG.96a74c905579021903a1f626754cdae9.JPG

and finally

4) Revell's '56 - slightly customized using the wheels from Monogram's '56 T-Bird:

P1040059.JPG.173994ea0b2e0d3be847ed416d046989.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/3/2021 at 8:59 PM, Phildaupho said:

The Foose truck is modified from stock in many subtle ways which would difficult to reverse. 

You can modify the Foose kit to stock by combining the cab with Ertl 53 fenders, hood, box and tail gate. Go to the "defoosing the Fd100" thread on about page 2 or 3 of pickups wip. That will show how I am modifying the Foose kit to stock body proportions 

On 4/3/2021 at 7:00 PM, youpey said:

You can do this.  The cab is close to stock and the ertl 53 F100 has accurate fenders, hood and tail gate. See "Defoosing the Fd100" thread on the second or third page of the  "pickups SUV section" to see how I am doing the conversion. The Foose grille looks stock to me.

7 hours ago, pack rat said:

So many cool trucks in this thread!

One of my all-time favorite AMT kits is the '53 F-100, but I only have one sitting on the shelf; a custom hauler I painted to match a Revell Triumph show bike.

DSCN6161.JPG

DSCN8433.JPG

DSCN8435.JPG

Hi Mike!

Great truck, and the paint really pops, bravo!

Do you mind sharing your "paint recipe"? I'm curious...

CT