Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let's see your '53 to '56 Ford F-100 Pickups

18 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Mike!

Great truck, and the paint really pops, bravo!

Do you mind sharing your "paint recipe"? I'm curious...

CT 

Thanks for the compliment

The paint on this one was really basic; old school Testors Lime Gold metalflake airbrushed over a Testors silver base on the truck and over the kit chrome on the bike.

Edited by pack rat

2 hours ago, pack rat said:

Thanks for the compliment

The paint on this one was really basic; old school Testors Lime Gold metalflake airbrushed over a Testors silver base on the truck and over the kit chrome on the bike.

HI Mike!

Thank you for the infos... I'm not suprised, since Testors offered that metallic "pearl" paint (in spray can) back in the 60's. Problem was... most of us neglected to spray it over a good base coat (white or silver)... and soon discovered that it had a low "hiding" value. Don't ask me how I know...

Your execution is great, however!

Regards,

CT

22 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

HI Mike!

Thank you for the infos... I'm not suprised, since Testors offered that metallic "pearl" paint (in spray can) back in the 60's. Problem was... most of us neglected to spray it over a good base coat (white or silver)... and soon discovered that it had a low "hiding" value. Don't ask me how I know...

Your execution is great, however!

Regards,

CT

My number one rule with any Testors enamel....NEVER apply it out of the can, airbrush only.

Even with a good base coat, I still had a few botched Testors paint jobs in my younger days, I think we all did.