Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thinking about replicating the 65 Ford Fairlane 2drht with a 289 that I had back in the day. I was looking at the 65 Fairlane Modified kit and thought about using the 65 Mercury Comet or 65 Falcon Sprint for donor parts. Any suggestions or advice on this build ?

What are you doing for a body?  I've messed with the Olds 88 Modified Stocker, got the body close enough to stock for building the 88 that ran in NASCAR that year.  Thought about doing the same with the Fairlane, to get it close enough to use the custom parts from the annual kit.  Too many other things in front of it...

16 minutes ago, Mark said:

What are you doing for a body?  I've messed with the Olds 88 Modified Stocker, got the body close enough to stock for building the 88 that ran in NASCAR that year.  Thought about doing the same with the Fairlane, to get it close enough to use the custom parts from the annual kit.  Too many other things in front of it...

I was thinking about the using the 65 Fairlane Modified body

The Modified Stocker bumpers are the least of the problems; they are pretty close to stock.  The grille only needs the headlight areas cut out and replaced, rear bumper is fine as-is.  

The wheel openings could be filled; I've done it on an Olds 88 body (even restored the flares) and intend to do the same on a Skylark and possibly a Fairlane.  I attempted it on a '64 Galaxie but was dissatisfied with the front fenders; later, I found a convertible body and stubbed in the MS roof and cowl.  I'm after a NASCAR body with that one.

For a stock Fairlane, I'd look for a builtup or promo as it will have parts like taillights.  A busted roof can be replaced more easily than restoring the MS body.

20200926_074321.jpg

Edited by Mark
Add photo

I've been wanting to do the same thing. My first car was a 65 Fairlane with a 289 too. I have the stocker version but it's going to need a lot of work to make it look stock again. The other thing is that the promos aren't cheap either, every once in a while I think I'll think I can get one on ebay but at the end of the auction they go up like crazy. Good luck with your search, I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Friend in high school (1977) had a black 65 with a red interior. It was a 289 HiPo and only had about 60k on it at the time. I don't think anyone knew how rare it was. I would like to build a tribute to it if I could find a kit, promo, or semi-gluebomb.