Model Cars Magazine Forum

OH NO SAY IT AIN'T SO

58 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

Yes, coupon is gone,  but once a month  ALL kits are 40% off.

I think it's every other week, so that would be twice a month. Now if they can get something on the shelves that hasn't been there for the last two or three years, I might actually buy something.

25 minutes ago, RichCostello said:

I think it's every other week, so that would be twice a month. Now if they can get something on the shelves that hasn't been there for the last two or three years, I might actually buy something.

Yeah I think you're right. 

I miss that coupon. KIts at 40% off occasionally great. I used the coupon on the overpriced building accessories, paint, glue, cases, etc. Those never go on sale. Now that Testors is done, Tamiya is ultra expensive, and nearly unavailable and my Hobby Lobbys never restock the Mr. Surfacer primer. I'm not sure I'm going to continue building kits. I can't seem to find a canned primer that's safe for plastic. I've used up all my old Plasti-Kote sandable primer inventory and that was the best primer I've ever used. I know there's acrylics and I have an airbrush, but not a dedicated area for the equipment, painting, and clean up. It's such a pain in the derriere.

3 hours ago, THarrison351 said:

Tamiya is ultra expensive, and nearly unavailable and my Hobby Lobbys never restock the Mr. Surfacer primer. I'm not sure I'm going to continue building kits. 

Tamiya “ultra expensive and nearly unavailable”? How do you figure? My local Hobby Lobby doesn’t carry Tamiya paints at all. You want to see ultra expensive? My HL has Vallejo paints for $4.99 each. That is a total rip-off because most place sells them for less than $3/ a bottle. Try looking in Scalehobbyist website -  Tamiya paints on sale for $2.39 each.  As for primer, I use Rustoleum primer or Mission Model primer.

You’re  over-reacting a bit on not continuing to build model kits just because you can’t find the product you’re looking for. Look and shop around in various online hobby shops. You’d be surprise what you can find. You know you won’t quit this hobby.😆

5 hours ago, THarrison351 said:

I miss that coupon. KIts at 40% off occasionally great. I used the coupon on the overpriced building accessories, paint, glue, cases, etc. Those never go on sale. Now that Testors is done, Tamiya is ultra expensive, and nearly unavailable and my Hobby Lobbys never restock the Mr. Surfacer primer. I'm not sure I'm going to continue building kits. I can't seem to find a canned primer that's safe for plastic. I've used up all my old Plasti-Kote sandable primer inventory and that was the best primer I've ever used. I know there's acrylics and I have an airbrush, but not a dedicated area for the equipment, painting, and clean up. It's such a pain in the derriere.

I use spray bomb Duplicolor primers almost exclusively and can get a big can at the auto parts store for $6 or Ollie's when they have them for $3. I've also had good luck with the Design Master Color Tool series spray cans at Michael's. Their silvers are great for bare aluminum. Design Master is mainly used in the floral business, it's a very fine pigment and sprays beautifully.

19 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Tamiya “ultra expensive and nearly unavailable”? How do you figure? My local Hobby Lobby doesn’t carry Tamiya paints at all. You want to see ultra expensive? My HL has Vallejo paints for $4.99 each. That is a total rip-off because most place sells them for less than $3/ a bottle. Try looking in Scalehobbyist website -  Tamiya paints on sale for $2.39 each.  As for primer, I use Rustoleum primer or Mission Model primer.

You’re  over-reacting a bit on not continuing to build model kits just because you can’t find the product you’re looking for. Look and shop around in various online hobby shops. You’d be surprise what you can find. You know you won’t quit this hobby.😆

My local (other side of Wichita) hobby store has Tamiya spray paints for about $8 and primer for $10. You're prices are for bottle paints. I'm not big on airbrushing. I haven't tried Rustoleum primer in years. The last time I tried was a disaster. Crazed plastic and the paint seems to take forever to dry. I've watched hpiguy use these paints and so many times I've seen his models with crazed paint surfaces.

7 hours ago, Miatatom said:

Tamiya is ultra expensive, and nearly unavailable

In Wichita, yes. 

18 hours ago, RSchnell said:

I use spray bomb Duplicolor primers almost exclusively and can get a big can at the auto parts store for $6 or Ollie's when they have them for $3. I've also had good luck with the Design Master Color Tool series spray cans at Michael's. Their silvers are great for bare aluminum. Design Master is mainly used in the floral business, it's a very fine pigment and sprays beautifully.

I haven't tried those, but they contain MEK and can and has crazed the plastic.

16 minutes ago, THarrison351 said:

My local (other side of Wichita) hobby store has Tamiya spray paints for about $8 and primer for $10. You're prices are for bottle paints. I'm not big on airbrushing. I haven't tried Rustoleum primer in years. The last time I tried was a disaster. Crazed plastic and the paint seems to take forever to dry. I've watched hpiguy use these paints and so many times I've seen his models with crazed paint surfaces.

In Wichita, yes. 

I've never had a problem with any of the products I listed. If I had I wouldn't have recommend them. There are many others here who use Dupli color regularly. I can't comment on hpi guy, I've watched a few of his videos, but not really a fan of his work.

16 hours ago, THarrison351 said:

In Wichita, yes. 

You really need to look in Scalehobbyist website. Tamiya rattle cans on sale for less  than $5.  Tamiya primer on sale for $5.19 each.

Hobbylinc are $7 for Tamiya primer and $5 plus change for Tamiya rattle can paints. 

Either place you can’t go wrong. Just saying...

As far as Rustoleum primer goes, I have zero issues with them - especially the sandable primers. They have no grainy look and sprays really nice and smooth. Don’t get discouraged by Rustoleum. It has been my go-to primer for years. Now Krylon... I hate them and they’re pure garbage.

19 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

You really need to look in Scalehobbyist website. Tamiya rattle cans on sale for less  than $5.  Tamiya primer on sale for $5.19 each.

are $7 for Tamiya primer and $5 plus change for Tamiya rattle can paints. 

Either place you can’t go wrong. Just saying...

As far as Rustoleum primer goes, I have zero issues with them - especially the sandable primers. They have no grainy look and sprays really nice and smooth. Don’t get discouraged by Rustoleum. It has been my go-to primer for years. Now Krylon... I hate them and they’re pure garbage.

I went to those websites this morning. Here are two screen grabs, I can't find the discounted prices you've mentioned. As far as Rustoleum is concerned, I'll grab a can today and pull a newer kit from my shelf and give it a test spray. I've tried the spoon method. I'm not sure the newer kits are using the same formula of plastic as the spoons. I'm pretty sure the new kits aren't using the same plastic formula as the old kits

2v2aUgv73xAVNRq.jpg

2v2aUgv5JxAVNRq.jpg