Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hasegawa Toyota Celica 1600 GT

Spottedlaurel

51094699081_e980324f33_b.jpg

1:24 Hasegawa Toyota Celica 1600 GT kit by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Latest completion, a nicely detailed curbside kit of a 1970s Japanese classic built in my favoured style with clean, straight bodywork, lowered and sitting on period wheels.

WIP thread here: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/159560-1970-72-toyota-celica-1600-gt-by-hasegawa/

51095241053_717653abc5_b.jpg

Painted with Halfords Citroen Mediterranean Blue from a can along with their grey primer and clearcoat. Seemed fairly close to a light metallic blue offered by Toyota at the time. It polished up well and had a good scale to the flake. Has a bit of a flip to the colour, going from silver to gold to a brighter blue depending on the light.

Technoracing TV-R narrow* accessory wheel set by Fujimi, with gunmetal painted centres. (*Not actually that narrow, more on that in a moment.)

Fujimi accessory tailpipe and the kit's road parts fitted, with the arches and race components kept back for another project.

51094805282_4cb632c2f2_b.jpg

51094794637_2aa50b7c84_b.jpg

The rear wheels are quite wide, I could really have done with them matching the fronts. I had to cut out the rear inner arches and some of the floorpan. Maybe the standard 1600 twin-cam has been replaced by something a bit more potent?......

51094699486_fb3110dd8e_b.jpg

51095240853_67ba091251_b.jpg

The Hasegawa kit is probably better than the Aoshima offering for building as a road car as it has delicately moulded, plated bonnet vents, rear cabin vents, door handles etc. I cut out the side glass to accentuate the pillarless look.

51094699211_ba053d2605_b.jpg

51095503810_ba28f10cd8_b.jpg

I lowered it by around 2-3 scale inches. At the front I moved the stub axle up the strut, the rear was done by chopping the coils. As usual I spent quite a bit of time on this stage.

As reported in the WIP thread, I managed to snap the front bodywork then the bumper on two separate occasions. I couldn't face stripping and repainting the bodywork and I don't have Alclad or anything for the chromework so they were simply glued together at the mercifully clean breaks.

51036445008_fa103e75d0_b.jpg

51037170311_7f76785798_b.jpg

Interior painted-up to replicate the sea of black vinyl and nylon with a bit of 'wood' trim that it would have had when new. Unfortunately some of the dashboard decals broke-up, but I managed to salvage the main ones.

As ever, there are a few things that didn't quite work out and I would do differently if building one again, but on balance I'm pleased with how it turned out.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Spottedlaurel

Thanks everyone!

15 hours ago, 1959scudetto said:

Very nice model, Nigel, of one of Japan's best looking cars ever !

I agree, such a great look to them. It was good that Toyota gave their midsize coupe unique styling rather than just being a version of their family saloon/estate.

Looks amazing, very nice colour on this. I love these old Japanese mini muscle cars. As a child around 1985 '86, one of the local boy racers had a Celica in red. I remember him painting a white stripe on it to look like the Starsky and Hutch Torino.

Thanks all!

5 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

As a child around 1985 '86, one of the local boy racers had a Celica in red. I remember him painting a white stripe on it to look like the Starsky and Hutch Torino.

I reckon there must have been one in every town back in the day! I remember a similar example in Ipswich in the '90s, by that time out of use and looking like it had been painted-up like that for a good few years.

Looks like the days of picking up a nice example for £1,500 have long gone.......

Thanks everyone!

On 4/7/2021 at 3:09 PM, e30lover said:

Nice build! Love the period wheel and rubber. I have an identical wheel set too.

In terms of the tyre size they'd probably have been better on something bigger like a '70s Skyline, Fairlady Z/ZX or Toyota Mark IIm but they do suit it well. I have a couple of the non-narrow sets, they're massively wide!

On 4/8/2021 at 2:53 AM, Fat Brian said:

Very nice, I've been eyeballing that kit myself. Those are some massive tires, you can always say it's got a 2jz in it.

A bit cartoonish almost! 2JZ would be nice, or an LS400's V8......

On 4/9/2021 at 1:27 PM, Tiger89 said:

Fabulous.  My first new car was an '82 GT liftback in that light blue metallic.

I'd have liked one of the next-gen models back in the late '80s, but even then they were hard to find here. Closest I got was a 2-door parts car in the '90s, also in a similar colour:

5230439713_c4097eb022_c.jpg

1980 Toyota Celica 1600ST c.1994/95 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

23 hours ago, kruleworld said:

fabulous build. interesting you used to he race version to build the street version. 

It's just what turned-up on eBay a few years ago. All the road car parts I needed were present, and it's given me some useful bits to use on other cars including a couple of good sets of wheels which will be ideal for small/medium size cars.

On 4/8/2021 at 2:03 AM, Bainford said:

Man, that thing looks good! You did a great job on this build. It sits perfectly. Excellent work. 

Thanks Trevor. Getting them to sit 'right' is what I usually spend a bit of time on. Most basic body designs look good, they're just not shown off to their best advantage due to skinny wheels, narrow track, high suspension to suit varying markets and road conditions, etc. I'd love to do that at 1:1 with one or two of my old cars, but I lack the skills and funds. At least I can have a go at smaller scale and realise my daydreams in 3D.