Model Cars Magazine Forum

OG TwoTones Revell 66 Impala

Lowridingmike

Hello mcm world. I've watched this site regularly for years but never posted my own work mainly because I don't feel it's worthy lol. That and I've been out of the model game 10-15 years. By time I started opening doors photoetch plumb wire flocking etc I got burnt out. I see a few people still building ive bought traded etc with back then if I don't know you please feel free to comment or share ideas. With all that aside lets start TwoTones builders block! 😎

FB_IMG_1617780207954.jpg

Painted block Orange chromed almost everything else. Done heads in aluminum wired distributor in body color blue hard to capture detail but had throttle return spring throttle linkage fuel line fuel filter small detail decals etc all sorts of hidden goodies..

FB_IMG_1617779417733.jpg

FB_IMG_1617779405553.jpg

FB_IMG_1617779410571.jpg

Nice work. The paint looks great.

Regarding Molotow, clear coat will tend to dull the chrome-like shine. Some clears are worse than others. It seems to me that a well respected builder experimented with several clear coats, and found Alclad Aqua Gloss was the least damaging to the shine, but it is still shinier uncleared. Unfortunately, the stuff will easily dull with handling as well.

Man, your work is amazing and the sequence of photos is very helpful. I am surprised that you don't seem to have any build up in the paint like I always got by using spray cans. They tend to throw a lot of paint. Yours looks extremely smooth. How do you manage not to have build up between the layers? 

I appreciate your style of builds. I'd love to see more lorries on this site. Keep them coming.

Later-

16 hours ago, bisc63 said:

I like that added detail of graphics continued onto package tray and dash; nice touch! You're getting some nice edges, what's your masking tape of choice?

Regular 3m blue tape my brother. I lay it out on my table and either use an exacto or 2 razors taped together side by side to cut the tape thin. I do get rough edges when I do I backtape and respray the panel til I'm satisfied. Alot of time and tape. 

3 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Man, your work is amazing and the sequence of photos is very helpful. I am surprised that you don't seem to have any build up in the paint like I always got by using spray cans. They tend to throw a lot of paint. Yours looks extremely smooth. How do you manage not to have build up between the layers? 

I appreciate your style of builds. I'd love to see more lorries on this site. Keep them coming.

Later-

Stay back up off the car about 12-18" when spraying and every few layers of panels I'll drown it in a few coats of clear. That's how I do fades. If you get far back enough you can almost get airbrush consistency.

Thanks for the feedback guys you all are so very nice here. I'll try to get bench time tonight I cant seem to get done with these 1:1s. Just did valve cover gaskets, radiator, lift, head unit install. Still gotta get oil pan gasket and woodgrain wheel done.. Staggered ruccis😎