Model Cars Magazine Forum

'55 Chevy "Hot Rod"

TransAmMike

On 4/17/2021 at 8:39 AM, MarkJ said:

Mike, Get you some evergreen tube and put some wire in it . it will allow you to bend it wih less chance of breaking it and will also make it keep its shape instead of just tryin g to return when you let go of the bend. Hobby Lobby is now selling evergreen styrene ,tubes, strips, sheets and other shapes. Wallow out the end of the tube with a #11 blade to make the tube more thin walled to model real aluminum or steel tubing.

wire inside the plastic tube?

genius!!!!!!!

Since the AMT '55 kit has moulded in exhaust system and I'm using the '66 Nova Pro Stock chassis, I needed mufflers and pipes. So, I made two mufflers and will be using the 2mm aluminum "wire" for the exhaust and tail pipes.  Another first in my modelling history.

Below are what I'm calling a mockup so far.  I haven't decided to work on bending the "wire" to bring the tailpipes out the rear or go simple and exit the pipes to each side in front of the rear tires.

20210428_155423.jpg.0098bc7c85fad62ba8da25bf957faff5.jpg

20210428_155715.jpg.6affefb8077957b73971e36c259e8d3e.jpg

15 hours ago, Zippi said:

Looking nice Mike.  I'd run the pipes all the way out the back if it were me.  What did you make the mufflers out of?

I agree it would look better out the back, will be a bit of a challenge to get all the bends right.

The mufflers are made using .100 evergreen rod and very thin sheet material.  I cut 3 same length pieces of rod (what ever length you want the muffler to be) and glue them flat side by side. Then cut the sheet the same length and wide enough so it wraps around the rod with a bit of overlap. I cut small pieces of thre thin sheet for the ends and trim and sand them to the shape of the oval ends of the muffler.

20 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

I agree it would look better out the back, will be a bit of a challenge to get all the bends right.

The mufflers are made using .100 evergreen rod and very thin sheet material.  I cut 3 same length pieces of rod (what ever length you want the muffler to be) and glue them flat side by side. Then cut the sheet the same length and wide enough so it wraps around the rod with a bit of overlap. I cut small pieces of thre thin sheet for the ends and trim and sand them to the shape of the oval ends of the muffler.

Great idea for the mufflers. I will have to remember that if I ever build a car with mufflers that aren't correct  in the kit.

2 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Its gonna be Killer, bud!!!!

Thanks Dann. Not sure about "killer" but I'm tryin'😃

2 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Great idea for the mufflers. I will have to remember that if I ever build a car with mufflers that aren't correct  in the kit.

Yeah, I surprised myself on that one😎

5 hours ago, earlleecliffton1 said:

i say you are not a real hotrodder if you havent had a tri 5

Great comment Richard👌  For me tho, unfortunately, the last Tri5  (my '57 Chevy BelAir 2 dr Hdtp) was the last one I owned, and that was 55 years ago. 🙄

22 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

Jeez!!! Where tha heck have I been??? Will be watching this one Mike!! 

Hey there Joe....still here, had to take a few days off on this one but  got the chassis/floor pan top coated, one color (base coat) on the body and "repair" painted the interior tub and front seat today.    Sorry no pics yet.

4 hours ago, MarkJ said:

You're not doing the car from "2 lane black top" are you ?  That might not be the right name, but James Taylor starred in it . Pretty awesome movie back in the day.

Well Mark, I have no clue what that movie is, so no.