Model Cars Magazine Forum

3D parts and figures

5 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

It really depends on the quality of the print, some stuff has small steps and other things are nearly as smooth as kit parts.

4 hours ago, peteski said:

It also depends on which printer was used.  Some use wax for temporary support of the resin, and sometimes not all the wax is removed before the part is shipped.

Ok the part is smooth but jus a little soft and grey. I was wondering guys if it needed to be soaked.  Who sells the best 3D parts and figures?

The ones that use wax support are usually translucent white.  If it is gray then it probably doesn't have any wax. Just give it the same cleaning that you would for a styrene model.  Dishwashing detergent and warm water, or maybe alcohol rinse.

21 minutes ago, peteski said:

The ones that use wax support are usually translucent white.  If it is gray then it probably doesn't have any wax. Just give it the same cleaning that you would for a styrene model.  Dishwashing detergent and warm water, or maybe alcohol rinse.

Thanks Peter.

8 hours ago, slusher said:

Ok the part is smooth but jus a little soft and grey. I was wondering guys if it needed to be soaked.  Who sells the best 3D parts and figures?

I can't imagine a gentle cleaning would hurt it, without knowing what kind of plastic it is I would start with slightly soapy water. 

As for who sells the best stuff it's kind of trial and error. I've gotten excellent stuff from Shapeways and a few pieces of junk. I just got a bunch of parts from Ra-sti's (camaro69 here) and everything was immaculate. Ron Olsen from Olsen Brothers also has a store called 3d Model Specialties and everything I've gotten from him has been great. When I order from Shapeways I always get the highest quality print the part is offered in.

It all depends on the machine and resolution it prints.  The higher the resolution used, the smoother the surface will be. Although both can produce good results, (SLA) stereo lithography printers will print out a smoother surface than (FDM) fused deposition modeling. 

I've got plenty of figures from Shapeways as they have a HUGE selection. Agree with the above mentioned quality. Most have been pretty good but had a few that were missing a little bit of it or just not very detailed.

Have always washed them in soapy water and primed before painting.

5 minutes ago, TonyK said:

I've got plenty of figures from Shapeways as they have a HUGE selection. Agree with the above mentioned quality. Most have been pretty good but had a few that were missing a little bit of it or just not very detailed.

I've also given them an alcohol "bath" before washing in soapy water.  

15 hours ago, TonyK said:

do you have a link to Shapeways?  Thanks