Model Cars Magazine Forum

Found window sticker for my wife's 1974 Dodge Dart Sport.....enjoy the price !

9 hours ago, oldnslow said:

Wish I'd kept mine from my 70 Nova , $2600 , delivered .  😎

Just found an inflation calculator and compared that to when I bought my 2012 Chrysler 200 in April 2012.  Adjusted for inflation, her car was $17,113.29, IIRC, my 200 was around $22k pre extended warranty as well as tax and licensing.  Outside the adjusted for inflation $5k difference, biggest difference is that the base 2.4l 4 cylinder probably made more horsepower and with the 3.6l V-6 mine has, would put the car in line with, if not a little better than a production tuned 340 powered A-Body performance wise.

I owned a '75 Dart Sport in 1980. Second owner, first was a priest at our parish.

He passed along all the paperwork when I bought it from him, for the princely sum of $725.

His cash price was $3800, PDI and tax in. He got a discount for military service.

318, 3 speed floor shift, 2.94 rear, up & over stripe, AM-FM, deluxe wheel covers, 3 speed wipers, PS, PB, HD cooling,, HD suspension.

Wish I still owned it. Had a lot of fun with that car. :) 

1 hour ago, Motor City said:

Hamtramck = Dodge Main, which was a huge complex.  Do you still have the car, Ed?

I grew up about a 1/2 mile from Dodge Main, 3 blocks from Plymouth Assembly and about 6 blocks from the Packard plant. 

It was a great time in Detroit in the 1940's, 1950's and 1960's. Most of my neighbors and family worked at one of these plants'

Here is a picture of the dealership where I bought the car.

My wife had the car first and then it went to one of my sons. It has been long gone for a long time.

2039896237_ColonialDodge.jpg.88c491d73ea8874973d21d1f1b52de63.jpg

Ed,

I remember Colonial.  That looks to be 'a 66 Charger and new Polaras and/or Monacos.  Those Darts were real popular, and it sounds like your family got its money's worth out of the car.  I grew up on the west side, so didn't get over there very often.

Ed,

I had a job with Chrysler Corp back in the early '80's where I went to five C/P/D dealers in the Detroit area that accounted for 1% of vehicle sales, and 1% of warranty volume nationally to monitor the quality and durability of products at the dealership level.  Colonial Dodge was one of those five dealerships.  The picture above is the original dealership, but by the time I called on them, the showroom had moved across the street to a modern facility built around 1972 when the RV business was going gang busters.  Behind the new showroom and business offices, they'd built a huge 26 stall RV and truck service center that had been converted into their body shop in 1979.  The dealer principal, and the service and parts folks were great people to work with. 

A.J.

Sticker on my new '66 SS Chevelle optioned only with bucket seats and console, tinted glass and metallic brake linings (most dangerous brakes ever IMO) was $3200. Paid $2800 because the salesman was a fellow drag racer.  Trust me, no power steering and brakes made that car a bear to drive.

19 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Sticker on my new '66 SS Chevelle optioned only with bucket seats and console, tinted glass and metallic brake linings (most dangerous brakes ever IMO) was $3200. Paid $2800 because the salesman was a fellow drag racer.  Trust me, no power steering and brakes made that car a bear to drive.

Those brakes worked their best after a few stops as you had to get some heat in the linings before they were really effective. Prior to that happening you were better off doing your best "Fred Flintstone" impression draging your feet to stop. 

4 minutes ago, espo said:

Those brakes worked their best after a few stops as you had to get some heat in the linings before they were really effective. Prior to that happening you were better off doing your best "Fred Flintstone" impression draging your feet to stop. 

Yep, I learned that very soon after buying it.  I would sometimes put both feet on the pedal and push with all my might😆

Edited by TransAmMike

10 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Yep, I learned that very soon after buying it.  I would sometimes put both feet on the pedal and push with all my might😆

I had a new '66 Impala SS and this was the year before they offered dick breaks. I was living in a somewhat mountainous area and the standard brakes would fade very quickly with any fast driving. My solution at the time was to add a set of these linings. As I mentioned I would do my best Fred Flintstone  impression until the brakes would heat up, after that they worked great. 

2 hours ago, espo said:

I had a new '66 Impala SS and this was the year before they offered dick breaks. I was living in a somewhat mountainous area and the standard brakes would fade very quickly with any fast driving. My solution at the time was to add a set of these linings. As I mentioned I would do my best Fred Flintstone  impression until the brakes would heat up, after that they worked great. 

I don't remember if they even worked after heated but that was 55 years ago.🙄😎

6 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

I don't remember if they even worked after heated but that was 55 years ago.🙄😎

You need not remind me of the passage of time.   When a machine tries to kill you you tend to remember it. While I really liked many things about the '66 it was traded on a new '68 but with disk brakes.