Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any news of Revell do something this year !

Mr mopar

On 4/18/2021 at 2:30 PM, Mr mopar said:

So the blower should be in the '30 Ford still ?

No....the blower is exclusive to the SBC engine tooling/sprues, so it is in the second release of the '29A Roadster. 

The second release of the '30A Coupe, as depicted above, is supposed to be the Buick Nailhead with (corrected) 6-2 barrel carb and fuel injection induction setups.  The fuel injection should include the separately molded fuel block and fuel lines running to each of the injectors - a pretty cool piece of kit engineering/detail.   You will still be able to swap engines between the two kits, so the blown SBC from the '29A Roadster second issue can go in the new '30A Coupe second issue without further mods....

TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

17 hours ago, tim boyd said:

No....the blower is exclusive to the SBC engine tooling/sprues, so it is in the second release of the '29A Roadster. 

The second release of the '30A Coupe, as depicted above, is supposed to be the Buick Nailhead with 3-2 barrel carb and fuel injection induction setups.  The fuel injection should include the separately molded fuel block and fuel lines running to each of the injectors - a pretty cool piece of kit engineering/detail.   You will still be able to swap engines between the two kits, so the blown SBC from the '29A Roadster second issue can go in the new '30A Coupe second issue without further mods....

TIM 

I think the Chevy has 3-2s while the Buick has 6-2s as the alternatives?

15 minutes ago, Ranchwagon said:

I think the Chevy has 3-2s while the Buick has 6-2s as the alternatives?

Got me....you are correct!   Will correct my post right away....thanks Kerry for the reminder.  

One interesting factoid about that 6x2 setup...the original concept drawings for the kit, as designed by John Mueller, showed three vinyl balance tubes running from the right side to the left side intake manifolds under the carbs, just like you see on some 1/1 scale versions of this intake setup.  Those were pipped somewhere between concept and final tooling, but this detail was indicative of the care that went into designing the Nailhead engine for the modern Revell Model A tooling....

Cheers...TIM 

These kits are easy to mess with, putting a Ford mill (or anything else) in won't be too tough.  The Y-block from one of the '57 Ford kits would be a good choice...just need to scrounge a neat set of headers (or rework the SBC pieces from the roadster kit)...

Edited by Mark
Added info

Agree, I was just busting TB’s chops over his love of Ford motors in Fords. Hadn’t considered the Y. Forgot about it. Good idea. 
MUch prefer the nailhead in this kit, have a 49 Cad headed into a 32. Prob fit in A too. 

Edited by keyser

On 4/16/2021 at 11:20 PM, Stef said:

YESSSSSSS. Have been waiting for the Henry J to come back for a squillion years.

I butchered it as a teenager.

This time, it will be done right.

YESSSSSSS. Have been waiting for the Henry J to come back for a squillion years.

This time...I'll probably butcher it again...BUT it will be with knowledge that I didn't have when I was 12  🤣

5 hours ago, Zippi said:

Any updates on the 51 Henry J Gasser release?

It likely won't be out until late fall at Revell's current leisurely pace. We still haven't seen the Chevy custom van kit which was announced in 2020. Better grab a Snickers...

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

It likely won't be out until late fall at Revell's current leisurely pace. We still haven't seen the Chevy custom van kit which was announced in 2020. Better grab a Snickers...

I know what you mean Casey.  The owner of one of our local hobby shops is a good friend of mine and he was sent the paint racks for the new Tamiya lacquer in bottles almost 2 years ago.  Tamiya keeps saying the paint is coming.  They now say June or July.  The didn't say what year ☺

On 4/23/2021 at 12:46 PM, showrods said:

This time...I'll probably butcher it again...BUT it will be with knowledge that I didn't have when I was 12  🤣

Ha ha, @showrods, I'll probably butcher mine again, too. Some of those old Revel kits were super intense and fiddly for me, but our combined powers now will build a couple of showstoppers, for sure!

• 1 month later...

The latest Zumbrunn book (“Lost Beauties”) has a photoshoot of the Marilyn Monroe 56 TBird, which is also pink, though a more restrained lipstick pink rather than this amped up Barbie version. The MM car actually looks remarkably tasteful…

best,

M.

12 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

And if it based on the old Monogram kit like it appears, it builds up nice.  I don't remember the chrome surround on the spare on the old kit, though.

I think it might be foil, you can just barely see some wrinkles on the trunk side of the cover.

The J is a "typical" Revell gasser, it uses the same chassis as their Willys pickup and Austin kits.  Those were (I think) among the last car kits Revell did with the sheet of DIY window material.

That is probably the best out-of-box build on one of those that I have ever seen.  It uses the original steerable front axle and original Ansen mag wheels from the first couple of issues.  The axle was always in the kit, though later issues added a non-steering, ridiculously dropped axle.  But the wheels were replaced, as was the original rear axle.  I wonder if this kit has gotten some rehab work for this issue.

43 minutes ago, Mark said:

The J is a "typical" Revell gasser, it uses the same chassis as their Willys pickup and Austin kits.  Those were (I think) among the last car kits Revell did with the sheet of DIY window material.

Waiting for the rant… “Why isn’t there a stock version in that Henry J kit?” 😄

• Haha 1