Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any news of Revell do something this year !

Mr mopar

8 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Depends on the shade of pink, of course.  A coral pink, like the old Testors pink, looks really good on it.

The 1957 Thunderbirds had an available pale pink color called "Dusk Rose".  Nowhere near as loud as that box art bird. 

Reminds me of my grandparent's bathroom. In the early 70's. they wanted to paint it a very pale salmon pink, so they ran up to the hardware store and bought the paint. They applied the paint, and it was about the hottest pink you could imagine. "Well, it's because the paint is wet. The color will probably be right when it dries".  Twenty years later, you still broke a sweat going into the bathroom. Still a very hot, vibrant pink.  The same thing may have happened with the box art :) .

thunderbird1957M0835.jpg

19 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I know I wouldn't be overly upset if they made such a thing.

Me either.  I'd love to see a stock Henry J.  Especially if it included decals for the plaid interior, and a small sheet of photo-etch with "Allstate" badges to build the Sears-Roebuck version.  And Allstate decals for the battery etc.  Sigh, we might as well dream big...

22 hours ago, Mark said:

The J is a "typical" Revell gasser, it uses the same chassis as their Willys pickup and Austin kits.  Those were (I think) among the last car kits Revell did with the sheet of DIY window material.

That is probably the best out-of-box build on one of those that I have ever seen.  It uses the original steerable front axle and original Ansen mag wheels from the first couple of issues.  The axle was always in the kit, though later issues added a non-steering, ridiculously dropped axle.  But the wheels were replaced, as was the original rear axle.  I wonder if this kit has gotten some rehab work for this issue.

The only rehab that will help that kit is to throw away everything but the body.  The engine is a joke, the wheels are hopeless, the working steering manages to be both clunky and extremely fragile, rear axle is BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH...  Even then, I think the body was compromised to fit the generic chassis.   I might buy another if I found one going *really* cheap, but at today's prices for a new kit? No way.

20 hours ago, SSNJim said:

The 1957 Thunderbirds had an available pale pink color called "Dusk Rose".  Nowhere near as loud as that box art bird. 

Reminds me of my grandparent's bathroom. In the early 70's. they wanted to paint it a very pale salmon pink, so they ran up to the hardware store and bought the paint. They applied the paint, and it was about the hottest pink you could imagine. "Well, it's because the paint is wet. The color will probably be right when it dries".  Twenty years later, you still broke a sweat going into the bathroom. Still a very hot, vibrant pink.  The same thing may have happened with the box art :) .

I can believe it.  The thing about digital art is that sometimes what you see on the screen isn't always what you get on the printed page.

6 hours ago, dodgefever said:

The only rehab that will help that kit is to throw away everything but the body.

The body doesn’t look THAT great either, what with those big panel gaps and misaligned hood.

That said, the Willys pickup kit kinda has some similar issues and I have two of those in the queue here, and I’ll be picking up a couple of Henrys too I’m sure…

Even as a kid i could see that this whole series of Revell gasser and funny car kits were BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH. I bought the Maverick funny car and never even finished it. The only future Revell kits that I am looking forward to are the XKE conv and the 71 Mach I if it ever comes to fruition.

31 minutes ago, oldscool said:

Even as a kid i could see that this whole series of Revell gasser and funny car kits were BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH

Guys,  poking at a model kit tooled in the 1960s is like criticizing a 1967 Chevy because it doesn’t have air bags and 4 wheel anti-lock disc brakes!  😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, oldscool said:

Even as a kid i could see that this whole series of Revell gasser and funny car kits were BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH. I bought the Maverick funny car and never even finished it. The only future Revell kits that I am looking forward to are the XKE conv and the 71 Mach I if it ever comes to fruition.

The E-Type convertible is out now, looks nice at first glance. 

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

Guys,  poking at a model kit tooled in the 1960s is like criticizing a 1967 Chevy because it doesn’t have air bags and 4 wheel anti-lock disc brakes!  😄

Well said. 

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I get what you are saying, I'm just not the type to buy old tool kits on nostalgia alone.

Perhaps i am being a little negative with my criticism. Things aren't going well for me right now and I'm finding it hard to deal with some of the more difficult aspects of modeling. Right now I just want to build kits that are less work intensive. Everyone should buy what they like. Whatever floats your boat is ok with me.

20 minutes ago, oldscool said:

Perhaps i am being a little negative with my criticism. Things aren't going well for me right now and I'm finding it hard to deal with some of the more difficult aspects of modeling. Right now I just want to build kits that are less work intensive. Everyone should buy what they like. Whatever floats your boat is ok with me.

You're not wrong that vintage gassers could stand to be represented by newer, less troublesome tooling. Kits like Revell's '57 Fords, '40 Willys, and '62 Corvette all show that the subject matter sells well when represented by modern tooling. I would probably posit, though, that if anyone were to pull the trigger on a modern kit of a poorly served gasser subject then it's high time for a not terrible '33 Willys. 

If an old reissued kit is something I like then I buy it. I know it's gonna be a bit lame but I'm hoping it will be a simple build and I can enjoy that because it is what it is. Sometimes that thinking will bite me in the behind because nothing fits very well and I end up problem solving the whole time. LOL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldscool said:

I know exactly what you mean and feel. There are so many better choices Revell could be releasing them. What happened ro the 30 Ford kit, Stacey David’s RAT ROADSTER, 57 Fords just to name a few.."

I once wrote an article for a club newsletter that pretty much said. “If there’s a viable market for a product, someone will show up to fill that need.” I wish I could find that article!

That thought stands. If there’s a viable market for a state of the art generic gasser chassis, someone will cash in on it.

Will the chassis of choice be the anticipated Moebius Nova gasser chassis? Maybe.

Will an aftermarket company make the investment to develop and tool something up?  Or Will a smaller cottage industry 3D printer come up with something.. and with the price of something made in limited quantities?   

Time will tell!  And ya know.. if this does come about, we’ll hear the guys who will whine that they want to buy it at Hobby Lobby at 40% off, or why can’t it be an Ollie’s $9.99 kit?!  😝

On 4/18/2021 at 10:59 AM, keyser said:

Like to grok the parts on the redhead

On 4/18/2021 at 4:11 PM, 1972coronet said:

Another way of saying , "White shorts pressed-against the tyre tread is a bad combination"  ?

I don't even do rods, and if they included the figures (especially the red-head), I'd buy the kit simply for those.

Bronco pickup is neat. Might go for one of those.

And yes, I want a stock Henry J, too. If I could figure out how to build that one stock, I'd build it, even if it was a stock curbside.

Charlie Larkin

On 6/28/2021 at 12:53 PM, Mike999 said:

Me either.  I'd love to see a stock Henry J.  Especially if it included decals for the plaid interior, and a small sheet of photo-etch with "Allstate" badges to build the Sears-Roebuck version.  And Allstate decals for the battery etc.  Sigh, we might as well dream big...

I would kill for a stock Henry J. I love the styling on those. Cheap as heck, sure, but cute as a button, and they'd have looked awesome scaled up, too. 

An ALLSTATE?? Heck Yeah, I'd buy that!!

• Like 1