Model Cars Magazine Forum

SJS Details

I finally dug out another camper kit I had purchased many moons ago and was just sitting here waiting for me to get around to it. The kit was produced by SJS Details and I'm not impressed with their (lack of) instructions.

The kit will definitely be a challenge too as the panels need to be beveled to look right (as per instructions) and the clear flat side panels have no locator marks what so ever on them for the placement of the other panels when attaching them.

I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with the company to find out if the instructions shown below are the norm for the company?

sjs_camper1.jpg

sjs_camper2.jpg

Also, if you want a frame for the kit you need to buy the stock and create it using a template provided in the instructions.

They did provide several resin detail parts for it, but every one of them have a heavy casting flange that will need to be delt with before starting the normal prep work for painting & installation.

Overall it's not a bad kit, but it is definitely not for the lower skill levels or someone who is easily flustered while building. Honestly, my only complaint is in the vagueness of the instructions.

-Scott H.

Scott, SJS has been out of buisness for a LOOOONNNNGGGG time. You'll have to do what you can with what you got, caz they ain't no mo'.That is a pretty cool lookin trailer though, and I'd like to see how it goes together. Could you maybe post WIP pics so we can join along?It's pretty unique, to say the least! :D

Thanks for the replies.

Scott, SJS has been out of business for a LOOOONNNNGGGG time. You'll have to do what you can with what you got, caz they ain't no mo'. That is a pretty cool lookin trailer though, and I'd like to see how it goes together. Could you maybe post WIP pics so we can join along?It's pretty unique, to say the least! :blink:

Now that I have found out what I have about the kit, I may not actually build it.

No, I'm not just going to put it up on a shelf to look at, I'm thinking on using the kit parts as templates to cut out new pieces to work with since I now know I can't get a replacement if I want one! If there was a ton of camper kits out there I wouldn't bother holding onto it, but the scale camper market is rather scarce right now!

Below are pictures of the complete kit.

sjs_camper3.jpg

sjs_camper4.jpg

Sorry for the bad photos, but it’s late and I didn’t feel up to setting everything up.

-Scott H.

Steve was a young college student who did resin casting, along with the help of his parents.

His "company" folded in the early 90's. What you have there is a piece of aftermarket history.

That was about the time I picked it up on an impulse buy at my local hobby shop. Now I'm glad I did! I seriously doubt I would be able to find one now.

I also purchased another product from him to use on another project, a resin box that was supposed to be used for a short semi trailer. It's not long enough and the bottom is uneven & full of flash.

sjs_box1.jpg

sjs_box6.jpg

sjs_box4.jpg

It is waaaaaaaaaaay too short to use as an actual semi trailer, but it fits the bill perfectly for an equipment storage area on a lowboy construction trailer or it can be used on the back of a Semi between the sleeper and trailer like they used to use on moving trucks a long time ago for extra capacity.

-Scott H.

Edited by Scott H. AKA Cpt. Bondo

Scott, that box was for a smaller scale (1/32 or 48th) semi tractor that he also cast.Thats why it's too short for 24/25th. But it does have nice detail on it. I met Steve years ago at a toy show here in Deeetroit(it was Dearborn, to be exact)And he had alot of neat stuff. Wish I had known he wouldn't be around much longer, caz I'd have gotten one of those campers too!Just goes to show, if you see somethin in resin you REALLY like GET IT, caz you don't know if it'll be around later on! :)

Scott, that box was for a smaller scale (1/32 or 48th) semi tractor that he also cast.Thats why it's too short for 24/25th. But it does have nice detail on it.

That would make a difference then! The Hoby Shop owner I was dealing with at the time said he ordered it for a 1/25th, but I was wondering about it then and now I know he didn't order it right.

I met Steve years ago at a toy show here in Deeetroit(it was Dearborn, to be exact)And he had alot of neat stuff. Wish I had known he wouldn't be around much longer, caz I'd have gotten one of those campers too!Just goes to show, if you see somethin in resin you REALLY like GET IT, caz you don't know if it'll be around later on! :)

I've done that many times myself. I'll be looking at something and decide to wait and think about it or until I have more available funds and when I go back it's gone. Now either I buy it on the spot or I figure it wasn't meant to be mine and walk away planning on it not being there later. If it's still there when I go back, I get it and feel lucky about it.

Thanks again,

-Scott H.

• 10 years later...
55 minutes ago, peteski said:

What made you bring back 11-year-old thread and make this cryptic post?

The fact that I posted a reply should tell you I have an interest in discussing a defunct aftermarket company which produced a unique camper kit.

55 minutes ago, Casey said:

The fact that I posted a reply should tell you I have an interest in discussing a defunct aftermarket company which produced a unique camper kit.

You want I should post pictures of my Modelhaus Shasta Camping Trailer kit?

17 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

You want I should post pictures of my Modelhaus Shasta Camping Trailer kit?

There's a general camper topic in the Truck Kit Reviews & News section, and I am pretty sure I requested (reported) this topic to be moved to the Resin/Aftermarket section, too, but, not my call. Either would work.

Here's your topic, Mike: