Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/43 AC Cobra

Bodnarus

9 hours ago, carl63_99 said:

We should have done /reddit style and had a banana for size comparison! ha!  Nice work!

Thanks!  But bananas are not really very good for size reference.  They themselves vary from about 3'' (baby) to about 8".   A quarter (or any coin) always has the same size.  :)

Thanks Bodnarus.  One of these days I'll post more photos in a separate thread.  I don't want to hijack your thread. The color is a nail polish. Those louvers were a pain and they didn't come out perfectly even, but it was my first attempt, and it is a small scale model too. 

These two kits from Monogram are real gems indeed. I built the Corvette when the kit was released around 30 years ago. I got to buy another one and the Cobra in a shop sale very cheap years ago. Will do them one day for certain. 1/43 has always been more of a collector's than a builder's scale. Back in the day, Monogram undertook the effort to appeal to collectors in "their" scale. Looks like it wasn't a great success...

P.S..: Great builds shown here!

Edited by Tommy124

5 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

These two kits from Monogram are real gems indeed. I built the Corvette when the kit was released around 30 years ago. I got to buy another one and the Cobra in a shop sale very cheap years ago. Will do them one day for certain. 1/43 has always been more of a collector's than a builder's scale. Back in the day, Monogram undertook the effort to appeal to collectors in "their" scale. Looks like it wasn't a great success...

P.S..: Great builds shown here!

I really like this scale because I find as an adult I'm somewhere between a collector and a builder. I don't have the time I used to for the hobby, but I love to "make", and not just "buy". I do have friends who are collectors and I often lend my services repairing their cars. 

90CBF2DE-B8F5-4D8C-8AB0-29F20266469C.thumb.jpeg.efcf7ad25d746f0db3681b4e6e9969bf.jpeg

14 hours ago, Bodnarus said:

I really like this scale because I find as an adult I'm somewhere between a collector and a builder. I don't have the time I used to for the hobby, but I love to "make", and not just "buy". I do have friends who are collectors and I often lend my services repairing their cars. 

90CBF2DE-B8F5-4D8C-8AB0-29F20266469C.thumb.jpeg.efcf7ad25d746f0db3681b4e6e9969bf.jpeg

Nice collection! I take it that the Jaguar XJ-R 9 is the Heller kit? I still have that in my stash... 

On 4/22/2021 at 2:21 AM, Tommy124 said:

Nice collection! I take it that the Jaguar XJ-R 9 is the Heller kit? I still have that in my stash... 

Yes it is. And a great kit, simple and goes together well. A few tips: the plastic axels are very weak, so you may want to substitute with metal. The headlights are just decals, so I substituted with cut circles of sheet styrene covered with Bare Metal Chrome (use a hole punch, it'll give you a round-over that simulates a sealed beam headlight). The decals are one piece and tricky, so chose where you want the breaks or they will choose for you.