Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 ford fairlane 500

michelle

i got this kit  from classicgas and got the tail light lences for it from thomascoffey1959
i had alot of issues with parts fitting together right from two of the rims not fiting into the tires that i had to  sand down the sides of  to get to fit 
to the engine parts not fitting perfectly  and the front  suspension  boke in two places  the thin  rod that connected the two sides snaped while i was triming it from the sprue and one of the rectangular shaped  arms that attached to the chassis also broke  i also had issues with the exhuast pipe fitting to the chassis and had to  cut a portion of it away to get it to sit right and fit 
i also had to come up with another steering wheel  from my parts box for it 
i painted it rust-oleum 2x ultra cover gloss cranberry 

also the glass did not fit the body very well it was like it was slighty to small in overal size 

IMG_1698.JPG

IMG_1697.JPG

IMG_1696.JPG

IMG_1695.JPG

IMG_1702.JPG

IMG_1701.JPG

IMG_1700.JPG

IMG_1699.JPG

IMG_1703.JPG

IMG_1705.JPG

Edited by michelle

20 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

Your best yet. Good job.  One question,  where are the shock tower braces?

not  with the kit parts if your talking about the support ams that attach from the inner wheel wells  to the firewall 

Just now, Hard_2_Handle_454 said:

Looks great, I think it's one of your best yet.

thank you 

Good looking build, looks like it was worth the hassle.

I can't tell you how many times I broke a delicate part while cutting it from the sprue. It's a pain in the neck, that's for certain. I'm not sure what you use to remove parts from the sprue but I imagine you probably use some type of sprue cutter. They're great tools and I have several that I use but for some of the finer parts they're just too big and clunky.

A few years ago I discovered a great tool for separating those teeny-tiny parts from the sprue.

It's a set of photo etch craft saw blades from Tamiya. They're available through most online hobby retailers

saws.jpg.0153e0fc4cf205b301b05eb112a48416.jpg

These do have to be cut out and folded for use but they're great for cutting those tiny parts loose without damage.

If you're not up for cutting and folding then Micro Mark has a version that looks like it can be used "right out of the box" so to speak.

Micro Mark Ultra Fine Saw Blade

saws1.jpg.6fcb2faf00fbaaa97d5388f6d1f6592d.jpg

I haven't tried these so I can't speak to their suitability but I'm guessing that they're about the same size as a single edge blade so they should work well. And they're from Micro Mark so they will be useful for something.

Best regards,

David G.

1 hour ago, David G. said:

Good looking build, looks like it was worth the hassle.

I can't tell you how many times I broke a delicate part while cutting it from the sprue. It's a pain in the neck, that's for certain. I'm not sure what you use to remove parts from the sprue but I imagine you probably use some type of sprue cutter. They're great tools and I have several that I use but for some of the finer parts they're just too big and clunky.

A few years ago I discovered a great tool for separating those teeny-tiny parts from the sprue.

It's a set of photo etch craft saw blades from Tamiya. They're available through most online hobby retailers

saws.jpg.0153e0fc4cf205b301b05eb112a48416.jpg

These do have to be cut out and folded for use but they're great for cutting those tiny parts loose without damage.

If you're not up for cutting and folding then Micro Mark has a version that looks like it can be used "right out of the box" so to speak.

Micro Mark Ultra Fine Saw Blade

saws1.jpg.6fcb2faf00fbaaa97d5388f6d1f6592d.jpg

I haven't tried these so I can't speak to their suitability but I'm guessing that they're about the same size as a single edge blade so they should work well. And they're from Micro Mark so they will be useful for something.

Best regards,

David G.

thank you 
depends of the thickness of the connection to the i use  a pair of needle nose wire clippers  or a pair of snub nose  wire clippers 

Edited by michelle

I have to agree with all of the others - your best job to date. 

To separate parts from the sprue, I use either of two sprue cutters, a Despruing Tweezer - #82393 or a Professional Sprue Cutter -#84386, both from Micro Mark.  I have also used the micro saw blades that David G. speaks of with satisfying results.  Any of these products I highly recommend.

If you have a Hobby Lobby or Michael's close by, you might check out their jewelry making department for wire cutters.  They offer many styles that compare to the to ones offered by Micro Mark.

1 minute ago, Hi-Po said:

I have to agree with all of the others - your best job to date. 

To separate parts from the sprue, I use either of two sprue cutters, a Despruing Tweezer - #82393 or a Professional Sprue Cutter -#84386, both from Micro Mark.  I have also used the micro saw blades that David G. speaks of with satisfying results.  Any of these products I highly recommend.

If you have a Hobby Lobby or Michael's close by, you might check out their jewelry making department for wire cutters.  They offer many styles that compare to the to ones offered by Micro Mark.

thank you